Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-19, 08:16

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine

I think you have two big obstacles here: the first is not accepting that our bodies change, period, especially with age. We ladies are supposed to be curvy, no matter what social pressures the media puts on us. You're tall, only a tad overweight, and I'll assume otherwise healthy. This should not have the capacity to be soul-destroying. Look at those hot ladies in the plus sized swim suits on that website. They're gorgeous! So are we. They're also younger. They'll get their turn with the cellulite and sagging.

I couldn't agree with you more but I will go you one further, not only is it a given that we will age and that our bodies will change, so it is better that we just accept that and move on. It is also a given that some day we will die, that is the reality of our lives, the only certainty we have when we are born, so it is also best that we accept that. So given that our bodies are going to change and that someday we are going to die, the question becomes how can we make the best of this life that we now have. My answer to that question is to engage in activities that feel meaningful to me and in order to be able to engage in these meaningful activities I need to keep myself as healthy as possible which I do by ensuring that my diet is as healthy as it can possibly be. Other things get included too, all those so-called lifestyle choices, exercise, sleep, stress reduction etc. Cellulite, podgy stomach, how you look in a bikini, what importance do these really have when you can simply be in the present moment, leading the most meaningful life you can lead, treating yourself including your body in the manner that keeps it as healthy as possible for as long as possible? Don't lose yourself in the trivial.

We all get caught up in the trivial sometime. I find it helpful to reflect on what is really important to me, is it to be x number of pounds less than I currently weigh or have fewer wrinkles on my face? Sometimes it may feel that way but if I reflect more deeply I can see that this is only looking at the surface of life and that deeper down inside there are more important things towards which to turn my mind.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-19, 10:23

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

I have days where I'm completely frustrated at my progress and days where it all seems fine. I'm in my early 50s and post-menopausal, so the struggle is real.

One thing I know is that not everyone's markers of change are the same. I read another forum sometimes and there's a woman there who went from a size 14 to a size 6 in just 4 months. But like you, over many months, I've only changed maybe one size. People and clothing brands vary dramatically. I'm never going to be that woman. I have to learn to live with the progress I can make, and not let myself get down by comparing myself to other people. So often we focus on the dramatic stories and very rarely do we see the "I went from a size 18 to a size 6 in just three years!" story. But that's more realistic.

I've tracked my weight and measurements every week since I started in January. I put them in a spreadsheet and added a linear trend line to the chart. On those days that I feel like I'm going nowhere and just spinning my wheels, I look at those charts. Overall, I see a downward trend. And I continue to see a downward trend. Slower lately and that's bugging me, but still down and I try to focus on that.

I started out with some general goals of "I'd like to be X weight by my birthday and X weight by this event." I haven't really met any of them, but having them keeps me fighting for something.

Mainly, I think that it's important to focus on what you have achieved, rather than what you haven't. Focusing on what you haven't achieved is a slippery slope to "What's the point?" and that's just around the corner from giving up entirely. Don't do that!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-19, 10:57

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

What wonderful advice from everyone! I just wanted to share my own bathing suit story. I got it last week.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the first swimsuit in a loooooooong time. Even at the times I deemed my figure "suit-worthy" I was dealing with highly uncomfortable, revealing, and annoying features in most suits. I don't know if it's me or the materials, but this bathing suit is so comfortable I want to wear it all the time

I recently lost 30 pounds in six months, and I have cellulite: but it moves around, I swear! And the general trend is that it is shrinking. And where it winds up I don't care, because I look so good in clothes, and I will never be a swimsuit model

However, I do have something nice to swim and sun in, this lovely summer, and that is what I want. Believe me, for every person you might feel envious of, there are dozens who you won't, but we're all here to enjoy ourselves.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-19, 11:40

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Wow Wear Bear, you lost 30 lbs while going Keto, That's wonderful!!! Congrats, job well done!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-19, 13:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Wow Wear Bear, you lost 30 lbs while going Keto, That's wonderful!!! Congrats, job well done!

🙏 As you know I did it for health. The swimsuit is a bonus.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-19, 04:19

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 178/178/147 Female 5ft8.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Just want to say thank you to everybody for sharing advice and opinions. Today I had my wooosh and feel amazing, that I jumped down to the floor and did 10 push ups to celebrate.

I really was fighting with myself not to give up. Of course, a part of me knows that the fat cells will be emptied at some point, but when we're in a plateau it's hard to be reasonable abou these things, especially when the plateau has taken so long!

Anyway, still about 10 lbs to lose, but this woosh has given me more motivation. SO glad it came!
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-19, 04:20

BF:

Thank you all again! xxx
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-19, 04:25

BF:

And congratualions WearBear, that is pretty astonishing!
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-19, 04:39

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbaranks
Thank you Dawn for the encouraging words. Yes, I have been scouring the internet for swimsuits that are flattering and don't highlight the cottage cheese.

Since I've been heavier, I've been wearing swim shorts with a tank top instead of trying to find a flattering swim suit. I like them much better. If you check
Lands End they carry different lengths. www.landsend.com
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-19, 04:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbaranks
And congratualions WearBear, that is pretty astonishing!

Thanks! And I wish everyone luck and stubbornness. 😀
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-19, 06:57

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Just remember..... we are here to support you. So the next time your feeling the stress of a long stall, please sing out again.

And... one more....our health, our energy while in a stall is still there, sometimes we forget weightloss is the bonus....

Wishing you continued success.

Now Im going to check out Lands Ends suits!!
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-19, 22:47
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Do you like being alive? Obesity kills.

Both my parents died of obesity related diseases. Way too early at that. I decided that would not be my future.

In the 1970s I went on Atkins Induction (now called Keto) and lost 50 pounds in 2 years. I've fallen off a few times, gained a few, but realized that was heading me towards an early grave.

So I have some wrinkles where the skin never un-stretched. But I'm under my target weight. So my diet is limited. But I'm no longer obese, my blood pressure is a low normal, I have the heart and circulatory system of someone 20 years my junior and I'm in my 7th decade with zero prescription drugs.

My DW likes be thinner, and thinks I look better with a few wrinkles than obese.

And I plan to live to be at least 100. By then, science might figure out how to get me to 140, and by then, forever. If not, I'm going to enjoy every day I can here, and enjoy as many as I can.

Whatever your trigger foods are, tell yourself you don't eat that food any more because it will slowly poison you. Then be patient, the weight will come off.

Bob
Your story is exactly like mine, and we are the same age. The loose skin never goes away, but there is still some fat under it. How do I know? A cow's horn tore the loose skin on my belly and I got a good look -- yellow fat

I agree with your idea of reaching "healthspan escape velocity" it's a popular idea with the wealthy of Silicon Valley too! Too much money and too little time left to spend it I suppose.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-19, 04:24

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Your story is exactly like mine, and we are the same age. The loose skin never goes away, but there is still some fat under it. How do I know? A cow's horn tore the loose skin on my belly and I got a good look -- yellow fat

I agree with your idea of reaching "healthspan escape velocity" it's a popular idea with the wealthy of Silicon Valley too! Too much money and too little time left to spend it I suppose.

It really is going to depend on the individual, I've lost around 50lbs and don't have any issues with loose skin, think it mostly comes down to genetics? Not trying to sound braggy, just letting others know that their experience may be completely different than someone elses
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-19, 05:36

BF:

Dry brushing is a thing people can try for loose skin. Here’s a forum discussion:

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=462446

I have loose skin for the first time, because I haven’t gotten to this weight since PUBERTY, people. So I am totally cool with it.

However, I have noticed that it seems to move around, as my loss has slowed, something is still going on. Since lymphatic issues seem to be in play with loose skin and cellulite, bouncing on a mini-trampoline might be another way to try dealing with it.

I did acquire one, and can say that a few minutes of bouncing wears me out in my present state of health, so it does do something. I will know more when I can be more active.

Last edited by WereBear : Wed, Jul-24-19 at 05:43.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-19, 08:08

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Testosterone levels also affect skin tone. Men have testosterone, women have testosterone, too. Among its many functions is tissue integrity.