Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-19, 12:02

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 178/178/147 Female 5ft8.5
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Nearly want to throw in the towel...

It is extremely difficult low-carbing this time round. I first started my journey in 2009 and have used this forum for the best part of the duration.

Like most, I have had my slips, but this time round has been extremely hard, not to mention being older so it seems everything slows down and is an extra effort.

Since January I have been strict, eating 20 g carbs a day, mod protein and fat to satiety. I now eat two meals a day or OMAD depending on how I feel due to less hunger of course.

But with all the perks - more energy, feeling light, dropping a dress size albeit very slowly (I have only last an inch sine January 2019) it is soul destroying looking in the mirror and still seeing a somewhat podgy stomach and increase o f cellulite all over my thighs and it is so disheartening, not to mention I'll be holidaying in 45 days and dreading wearing a bikini. I thought I'd be somewhat bikini ready by now, but looking at my thighs, I may just have to wear a black bag!

I need encouragement. Is there a way to break this plateau? which I think is happening right now, will I ever get to my goal weight? I need to lose another stone.

More so I need to understand how I can reduce the cellulite that is increasing and moving about all over my legs - I've never seen so much on my legs before it's scary. It's almost like I've lost weight but my body is all jiggly and holding onto/retaining water? It's just weird and I don't feel good nor look good in the mirror.

Patience is key I'm told a lot of the time, but it really is wearing thin now
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-19, 12:59

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

The cellulite should reduce with time. The 'cottage cheese' affect is very common when someone is losing weight and is mostly temporary. If you feel uncomfortable with it though, why not just modify your holiday wardrobe a bit, so you feel more comfortable when you go on your trip? Sun dresses/skirts instead of shorts, a different swim suit etc.

I'm at a very low weight/bf % and deal with very pronounced varicose veins in my legs, (start at the ankle and go up to my groin area). I used to be so embarrassed by them but then realized that my body does amazing things and the veins are just a part of me. And in talking about them to friends and family, most of them haven't even noticed them! Many times we are our harshest critic, try to focus on the positive steps you've made so far and just enjoy the journey
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-19, 13:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDawn
The cellulite should reduce with time. The 'cottage cheese' affect is very common when someone is losing weight and is mostly temporary. If you feel uncomfortable with it though, why not just modify your holiday wardrobe a bit, so you feel more comfortable when you go on your trip? Sun dresses/skirts instead of shorts, a different swim suit etc.

I'm at a very low weight/bf % and deal with very pronounced varicose veins in my legs, (start at the ankle and go up to my groin area). I used to be so embarrassed by them but then realized that my body does amazing things and the veins are just a part of me. And in talking about them to friends and family, most of them haven't even noticed them! Many times we are our harshest critic, try to focus on the positive steps you've made so far and just enjoy the journey

Thank you Dawn for the encouraging words. Yes, I have been scouring the internet for swimsuits that are flattering and don't highlight the cottage cheese.

Good to know it will reduce in time, yes I have come far in that I've been sticking to this way of eating for a long time now, and feel I deserve to reap the benefits at some point. I will stick at it, thanks again!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-19, 14:15

BF:

I love vintage style swimsuits-very flattering regardless of shape/size I haven't bought from this site, but here's to give you some ideas

https://www.unique-vintage.com/coll...piece-swimsuits
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-19, 14:48

BF:

Thank you so much for the link, had a quick browse, and not disappointed!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-19, 15:37

Plan: Classic Atkins
Stats: 275/272/165 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbaranks
It is extremely difficult low-carbing this time round. I first started my journey in 2009 and have used this forum for the best part of the duration.
(

I just started Atkins again myself .. we did it for three months last in 2010 ... my wife and I both broke over a plate of ginger beef and after a rather embarrassing carb binge .. threw in the towel. Food boredom ...

For nine years my wife and I have watched our health tank .. watched ourselves get so lazy ... have each gotten so hostile with one another due to blood sugar moods ... and throughout it all we kept saying "Why didn't we stay on Atkins - we were doing so good".

My reason for getting on Atkins again this time is not weight .. its health. Doctor wanted to put me on blood pressure medication and start annual stress tests for heart .. I do NOT like taking medication. I watched all my uncles and cousins get on the medication train .. and just slow it down .. by the end their quality of life was horrible. I don't want that. I sincerely believe in the health and heart benefits of LC .. so I started again.

This time, I put up a whiteboard in the kitchen .. and it lists every reason why I am dieting .. so if I start to think about throwing in the towel .. I'll realize that weight loss is but one reason ....

Attached a photo of my board ... There's actually another reason not on there .. 9) Be an example for my teenagers ..

I'm sure you can find lots of reasons to stay the course ... but the biggest reason not to throw in the towel? Regret.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg atkins_why.jpg (24.9 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Yesurbius : Tue, Jul-09-19 at 15:43.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-19, 16:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbaranks
Thank you so much for the link, had a quick browse, and not disappointed!

I have a couple bookmarked on that site, lol. Otherwise I think Amazon has a nice selection too
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-19, 18:26
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I bought this one and really like it a lot. Just tough to get to the bathroom in time to pull it all down when it's wet.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The value of sticking to LCHF has been said over and over again, but ultimately it is about growing older and staying healthy and mobile. The image I've held in my head over the past decade is of all the fat old ladies riding scooters in the grocery store. At least here in the USA, that is a normal sight. Joints become damaged over time. I'd rather not have to get knees replaced, hips replaced, not have to take medications.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-19, 19:09

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Do you like being alive? Obesity kills.

Both my parents died of obesity related diseases. Way too early at that. I decided that would not be my future.

In the 1970s I went on Atkins Induction (now called Keto) and lost 50 pounds in 2 years. I've fallen off a few times, gained a few, but realized that was heading me towards an early grave.

So I have some wrinkles where the skin never un-stretched. But I'm under my target weight. So my diet is limited. But I'm no longer obese, my blood pressure is a low normal, I have the heart and circulatory system of someone 20 years my junior and I'm in my 7th decade with zero prescription drugs.

My DW likes be thinner, and thinks I look better with a few wrinkles than obese.

And I plan to live to be at least 100. By then, science might figure out how to get me to 140, and by then, forever. If not, I'm going to enjoy every day I can here, and enjoy as many as I can.

Whatever your trigger foods are, tell yourself you don't eat that food any more because it will slowly poison you. Then be patient, the weight will come off.

Bob
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-19, 20:52

Plan: keto <50 net carbs
Stats: 183/163/140 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 47%

I can only imagine how frustrating it feels to be so good about your diet for 6 months and have little to show for it (as far as scales and mirrors are concerned at least)!

You said you feel lighter and have more energy, so those are some good positives to focus on right now

Questions I hear asked a lot on these boards, but after reading some of your journal it's pretty clear you have thought of these things already:
-Are you drinking enough water?
-Are you exercising? Strength training?
-Do you have hormonal issues like hypothyroidism?
-Are you eating products with sugar alcohols or artificial sweeteners?
-Have you tried upping carbs? Calories? Lowering carbs/calories?

I also found this in your journal from 2017: "So, a caution to the ladies who are loosing faith, please don't do this. Your body might need a bit more time than usual to loose, OR like me, it may be that you just need to tweak...possibly add more fat, and not watch calories in the early stages, just eat to satisfaction...all these things, which I know are all part of the rules of the Atkins diet."

I don't have much advice, but I thought I'd offer support and a reminder of what happens if you do give up...I know from personal experience that I gain my weight back only to find myself trying low-carb again within the next 6 months - 1 year, wishing I had stuck with it.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-19, 04:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8ty
I can only imagine how frustrating it feels to be so good about your diet for 6 months and have little to show for it (as far as scales and mirrors are concerned at least)!

You said you feel lighter and have more energy, so those are some good positives to focus on right now

Questions I hear asked a lot on these boards, but after reading some of your journal it's pretty clear you have thought of these things already:
-Are you drinking enough water?
-Are you exercising? Strength training?
-Do you have hormonal issues like hypothyroidism?
-Are you eating products with sugar alcohols or artificial sweeteners?
-Have you tried upping carbs? Calories? Lowering carbs/calories?

I also found this in your journal from 2017: "So, a caution to the ladies who are loosing faith, please don't do this. Your body might need a bit more time than usual to loose, OR like me, it may be that you just need to tweak...possibly add more fat, and not watch calories in the early stages, just eat to satisfaction...all these things, which I know are all part of the rules of the Atkins diet."

I don't have much advice, but I thought I'd offer support and a reminder of what happens if you do give up...I know from personal experience that I gain my weight back only to find myself trying low-carb again within the next 6 months - 1 year, wishing I had stuck with it.

Hi K8ty,

These are important questions, which I have asked myself already, but it's always good to be reminded when you lose focus.

I tend to drink when I'm thirsty, but in the early stages I guzzled a lot but not so much now as my body doesn't seem to require it, or does it? I lift heavy weights, resistance and do some HIIT as well, love exercise, and on a positive note, I have seen very slight changes in the appearance of the cellulite where more muscle is forming, but so slow. The odd thing is the way the fat shifts in my legs, really strange.

I haven't had my thyroid checked yet, but I'm onto it and as far as lowering/upping carbs I have tried both. Because I've been so strict though since January, pretty much keto, I decided to up carbs a little bit for a week and I just bloated out ad felt horrible.

Though last weekend I gave carb-cycling a go just on the Saturday, so I had a day of eating quite a lot of carbs way past even moderate amount, and it was low fat and I seemed to have shifted weight after taking measurements - very small but it was evident when looking in the mirror also.

Artificial sweeteners, I seem to be in denial about. Admittedly, I have been baking low-carb deserts as a treat on weekends or when I'm feeling like something nice, and I figured given I'm 6 months in I should be able to add something nice now and then, but maybe I should just leave all that out and see what happens.

If I cast my mind back when I first started Atkins 11 years ago, I rarely used sweeteners - think it was one sachet of sucralose a day, I exceed that with erythritol by a long shot nowadays and should maybe dial it back or quit it cold turkey. In saying that though, I have in the past also lost weight eating sweeteners.

Oh K8ty, I totally forgot I wrote that in my journal! Maybe I shouuld have a browse there more often, and start using it! I haven't been active here for a while. A reminder from my past self, thank you!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-19, 04:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesurbius
I just started Atkins again myself .. we did it for three months last in 2010 ... my wife and I both broke over a plate of ginger beef and after a rather embarrassing carb binge .. threw in the towel. Food boredom ...

For nine years my wife and I have watched our health tank .. watched ourselves get so lazy ... have each gotten so hostile with one another due to blood sugar moods ... and throughout it all we kept saying "Why didn't we stay on Atkins - we were doing so good".

My reason for getting on Atkins again this time is not weight .. its health. Doctor wanted to put me on blood pressure medication and start annual stress tests for heart .. I do NOT like taking medication. I watched all my uncles and cousins get on the medication train .. and just slow it down .. by the end their quality of life was horrible. I don't want that. I sincerely believe in the health and heart benefits of LC .. so I started again.

This time, I put up a whiteboard in the kitchen .. and it lists every reason why I am dieting .. so if I start to think about throwing in the towel .. I'll realize that weight loss is but one reason ....

Attached a photo of my board ... There's actually another reason not on there .. 9) Be an example for my teenagers ..

I'm sure you can find lots of reasons to stay the course ... but the biggest reason not to throw in the towel? Regret.

Thank you so much for this. You are so right. Yes, health is a big one so in a way I should just be able to ride it out as I'm already on the right path, the weight loss will happen (at least not too far in the distant future )

Like the board, I will definitely write a list and stick to the fridge to keep me motivated. Thanks!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-19, 04:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Do you like being alive? Obesity kills.

Both my parents died of obesity related diseases. Way too early at that. I decided that would not be my future.

In the 1970s I went on Atkins Induction (now called Keto) and lost 50 pounds in 2 years. I've fallen off a few times, gained a few, but realized that was heading me towards an early grave.

So I have some wrinkles where the skin never un-stretched. But I'm under my target weight. So my diet is limited. But I'm no longer obese, my blood pressure is a low normal, I have the heart and circulatory system of someone 20 years my junior and I'm in my 7th decade with zero prescription drugs.

My DW likes be thinner, and thinks I look better with a few wrinkles than obese.

And I plan to live to be at least 100. By then, science might figure out how to get me to 140, and by then, forever. If not, I'm going to enjoy every day I can here, and enjoy as many as I can.

Whatever your trigger foods are, tell yourself you don't eat that food any more because it will slowly poison you. Then be patient, the weight will come off.

Bob

Thank you so much for your advice.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-19, 07:04
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
I need encouragement.
Hello Yabba. You've already gotten lots of good replies here, and I want to offer encouragement in a bit of a different direction.

I think we're about the same age. I'm also peri-menopausal, and I likewise seem unable to just do my same-old LC thing and magically be 130 lbs. It's sucks and sometimes feels unfair.

I think you have two big obstacles here: the first is not accepting that our bodies change, period, especially with age. We ladies are supposed to be curvy, no matter what social pressures the media puts on us. You're tall, only a tad overweight, and I'll assume otherwise healthy. This should not have the capacity to be soul-destroying. Look at those hot ladies in the plus sized swim suits on that website. They're gorgeous! So are we. They're also younger. They'll get their turn with the cellulite and sagging.

I think your second big obstacle is feeling like this is such a sacrifice, such an effort. Can we get you happier with your food and lifestyle? Another member (can't remember who, sorry) recently said, "I eat like a queen." I could not possibly agree more. I've been doing this for 18 years and I still feel excited about my food. Today, I'll be eating shawarma chicken over a Greek salad with homemade feta dressing, and I'll be picking my first zucchini of the year from my garden to turn into "zoodles" that I'll have tomorrow with a meat sauce. I actually get a bit sad when I'm not hungry yet for my awesome meals.

I don't know how it is in the UK, but here in Canada, I can even go to just about any pub or restaurant and find something suitable; and not feel left out or sorry for myself.

Remember: we're the ones eating the normal, healthy human diet. There is zero reason to be jealous of people eating "whatever they want", even if they aren't having obvious medical consequences. You never know what they're dealing with privately. Thin does not necessarily mean healthy.

You don't "need to" lose a stone. It might be nice to lose a stone. You "need to" feed yourself good food, keep getting some exercise that you enjoy, try to get sufficient sleep, have good relationships and keep stress as low as you can. The results thereof are largely out of our control. Be proud of yourself. You are a success because you're doing it.

Since you asked specifically about stall-breaking, I'll just add (to the above) going completely grain-free if you haven't already. It's tough because some foods are more or less inflammatory/insulinogenic in different people, and you still have to find a lifestyle that's livable. Perhaps you'll consider keeping a food log in your journal. You don't necessarily have to weigh and measure everything, just jot it down.

I have varicose veins, cellulite, a beer gut, bat wings and thinning hair. I rock long skirts and cute tops that show off my slim arms and sculpted shoulders. I have burn scars on my arms from work, but I don't care; I earned them. I don't like wearing a bathing suit, but when I do, it's a cute one sort of like the retro ones above. It has a little ruffled skirt and the top shows off my, ahem, assets. No one's going to stare at your legs. YES, I'm self-conscious about imperfections and wonder what people think, but... guess what:

No one cares.

Now you go on that vacation, laugh, eat, dance and live your best life.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-19, 07:49

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I've seen claims that carb-loading can summon the whoosh fairy, especially for women, although I don't know how much to put into the claims. But it's plausible for there to be some sort of effect from the metabolic shifts involved.

The weight training--has there been a change in intensity? I find on a more ketogenic diet I need less rest between sets, am more likely to want to add sets on at the programmed end of a workout, as opposed to wanting to cut things short, etc. The "maybe you're building muscle/bone" thing...