Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-18, 09:18

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 235/233/199 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default substitute for almond milk?

Hi everyone,

I have been low-carbing for about 2 years, with a break trying weight watchers. I'm back to low carb. Weight watchers doesn't work for me.

Many recipes call for almond milk. Has anyone seen where a person can purchase less than 2 quarts of almond milk? I have looked online and in every store in my area to no avail. I don't drink milk and really only use it for recipes.

How do others handle this? Can I freeze it somehow? Is there a good low carb substitute that comes in a smaller size? I would really like to purchase about a pint.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I truly appreciate it.
sumptinels
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-18, 07:56

Plan: adkins
Stats: 165/160/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Doubt if you will find a pint size but SILK brand makes a qt. size, shelf stable, requires no fridge. Ask where you shop.
HTH, helper2
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-18, 13:22
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi and welcome. It would help if you could let us know where you live, and maybe put it in your profile. Here in the Toronto area, the bigger grocery stores have several brands of almond milk that are in one-liter (basically a quart) container. I can usually find them on sale for $1.99. Comparatively, you could buy a can of coconut milk for about a buck. It's about the size of a soup can.

Of course, the easiest LC sub for almond milk is cream. It can be watered down if the recipe requires. Do you have to avoid dairy?

(ETA) Also, if you feel like just asking a question about the substitution, feel free. It will depend on the nature of the recipe - a whipped dessert would be different from a cream soup, a smoothie, a sauce, etc.

Last edited by Kristine : Sat, Apr-28-18 at 13:28.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-18, 12:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 300/290/150
BF:
Progress: 7%

Could you just freeze some of it? I find that almond milk has a very long shelf life in the freezer- much longer than regular milk.

I have seen almond milk sold in smaller cartons that are not refrigerated. I know that Trader Joe’s carries this product.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-18, 15:06

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I was having trouble finding smaller containers of coconut milk - the local stores had only 1/2 gallon. Finally one local store started carrying 32 oz boxes & a couple stores in Spokane - Trader Joe's & Fred Meyer - both carry a couple different brands. Fred Meyer is the cheapest. I like that they're shelf stable until opened. I prefer the coconut milk to almond milk.