Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-20, 20:52

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default All of us meat eaters are probably already dead

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/eat...-101651156.html

Code:
Participants who ate two servings of red meat, processed meat, or poultry a week had a 3-7% higher risk of cardiovascular disease. But consuming two servings of red meat or processed meat – not poultry or fish – per week was linked to a 3% higher risk of all causes of death. There was a 4% higher risk of cardiovascular disease for people who ate two servings per week of poultry.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-20, 21:03

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Participants who ate two servings of red meat, processed meat, or poultry a week had a 3-7% higher risk of cardiovascular disease.

Just a rehash of the JAMA article. Bad research to lump together real meats and processed meats, organic and conventional meats.....and thats jyst the beginning....
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-20, 21:54

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Just a rehash of the JAMA article. Bad research to lump together real meats and processed meats, organic and conventional meats.....and thats jyst the beginning....

They try to vilify meat by just making propaganda because we all know that processed meat and fresh meat are totally different things. Besides, we won't be eating it with bread, fries or chips and soda.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-20, 04:40

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I'm trying Carnivore now, should have died by week 3

Weak associations from new meat study grab headlines

https://www.dietdoctor.com/weak-ass...-grab-headlines
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-20, 08:16

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Given my weight, how much I consume in the way of that deadly artery clogging, cholesterol laden, saturated animal fats, not to mention how much meat I've consumed for years, I should have died decades ago.

In fact, I've apparently been dead since the 70's, when I did LC the first 2 times.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-20, 08:56

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

We Are All The Walking Dead.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-20, 09:49

BF:

#8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-20, 10:21

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Well, maybe we're just 3 percent deader. That does leave most of us free to post here.

Quote:
Results Among the 29 682 participants (mean [SD] age at baseline, 53.7 [15.7] years; 13 168 [44.4%] men; and 9101 [30.7%] self-identified as non-white), 6963 incident CVD events and 8875 all-cause deaths were adjudicated during a median (interquartile range) follow-up of 19.0 (14.1-23.7) years.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/ja...bstract/2759737

I don't know why we'd bother being upset here, almost no reason to explain the findings as due to other things that might have been eaten with the meat etc. The difference is so weak anyways, even if it were true, the odds of benefiting from avoiding meat are so low, who cares?

Quote:
Ms Arielle;
Just a rehash of the JAMA article. Bad research to lump together real meats and processed meats, organic and conventional meats...

I don't think there's any real reason not to lump organic and conventional meat together, I don't think there's much difference in the effect on health. I think either one could probably be harmful or helpful--not because they're bad or good in and of themselves, but because when the overall dietary pattern is poor, any food might be overconsumed and contribute to poor health. No need to throw conventional meat under the bus in favour of organic or grassfed when it hasn't been established that there's anything wrong with it, at least health-wise.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-20, 11:42

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Show me a sandwich without bread, a steak without the potato, a burger without the bun.

How can anyone tease out such distinctions when the whole thing is a sea of carbage?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-20, 13:51

BF:

I spent months looking into the nutrient difference between organic grass fed and conventional meats.....there is a clear difference. There are several studies quoted by Dr Amen supporting omega 3 supplementation in autistic children; The levels of vit C are higher which helps with absorption of iron, etc. There is a reason why I raise my own lamb, turkey, duck and chicken.

However, you are entitled to your opinion.

Quote:

I don't think there's any real reason not to lump organic and conventional meat together, I don't think there's much difference in the effect on health. I think either one could probably be harmful or helpful--not because they're bad or good in and of themselves, but because when the overall dietary pattern is poor, any food might be overconsumed and contribute to poor health. No need to throw conventional meat under the bus in favour of organic or grassfed when it hasn't been established that there's anything wrong with it, at least health-wise.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-20, 16:59

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

It seems to me likely that organic meat probably is better in quality than conventional, but for a lot of people on limited incomes/food budgets price is going to have a big effect on its accessibility. Better IMHO to eat conventional meat than none if those are the affordable options.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-20, 17:36

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

According to Mark Twain there are 3 kinds of lies
  1. Lies
  2. Damn Lies
  3. Statistics

Without doing double-blind controlled experiments on humans, which of course is unethical, you can't make a definite conclusion.

So do the people in the study also drink soda? Eat donuts? Smoke? Drink excessive alcohol?

I read an article a few weeks ago that a major hospital study on people who died of heart attacks found that 75% had low LDL levels, pointing to the conclusion that LDL is not a valid theoretical danger to the circulatory system.

Of course it could be propaganda too.

Who do you believe? Without proper studies you don't know for sure. Animal studies are helpful, and as far as I know, no animal study has shown eating meat is dangerous.

Bob
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-20, 18:02

BF:

Pay the Farma' now or the Pharma later.

I eat conventional, too, but know the negative impact. What one can afford doesnt change which one is better, for our health, and the land/environment.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-20, 18:23

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Without doing double-blind controlled experiments on humans, which of course is unethical, you can't make a definite conclusion.

So do the people in the study also drink soda? Eat donuts? Smoke? Drink excessive alcohol?
Bob

Exactly! In America people eating the SAD diet including red meat (in a bun?) are different from people who care about their health enough to eliminate things they believe are unhealthy such as red meat, animal foods, tobacco, sedentary behavior, etc. I read someplace (a long time ago in a galaxy far far away) about a study done in China, as I recall, comparing vegetarians (due to religion there not health beliefs) and meat eaters. No health differences were found there without having a healthy user bias favoring vegetarianism. Population studies...not so great.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-20, 18:36

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Instead of looking at vegetarians/meat-eaters, the nutritionists should be comparing vegetarian/carnivores. All the SAD eaters are grouped as meat-eaters even though most of what they eat are not meat products.