Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-20, 01:21

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default People taking statins are getting fatter because patients think pills are 'free pass'

People taking statins are getting fatter because patients think the pills are a 'free pass', study finds

Patients taking cholesterol and blood pressure drugs eight more cent more likely to become physically inactive

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...couch-potatoes/

Quote:
People put on statins are likely to do less exercise and eat unhealthily, because too many patients think they have been given a “free pass” research suggests.

The study of 40,000 people found that those put on such medication appeared to adopt less healthy lifestyles than others with similar risks of heart attacks who were not on the drugs.

The Finnish research, published in the Journal of the American Heart Association, tracked patients with at risk of heart disease and stroke for 13 years.

Those who were put on drugs to cut cholesterol and blood pressure were eight more cent more likely to become physically inactive. And they were 82 per cent more likely to gain weight.

Researchers said the findings suggested that some patients tend to slacken efforts to maintain a healthy lifestyle when they were offered a drug to cut their risk of heart problems.

Study author Maarit J. Korhonen, senior researcher at the University of Turku in Finland, said: “Medication shouldn't be viewed as a free pass to continue or start an unhealthy lifestyle."

"People starting on medications should be encouraged to continue or start managing their weight, be physically active, manage alcohol consumption and quit smoking.”

Researchers assessed more than 40,000 public-sector workers in Finland who had not been previously diagnosed with heart disease or stroke.
On average, participants were 52 years of age at the beginning of the study, and most were female.

Each participant was given two or more surveys in four-year intervals between 2000 and 2013. The surveys assessed body mass index, physical activity, alcohol consumption and smoking history. It was compared with pharmacy data showing which drugs they had taken.

Researchers said: "Our findings support the notion that there is scope to improve management of lifestyle-related risk factors among individuals who have initiated preventive medication," researchers wrote in the study.
"Patients' awareness of their risk factors alone seems not to be effective in improving health behaviors."

Prof Sir Nilesh Samani, medical director at the British Heart Foundation, said: “This study shows that the use of statins and blood pressure-lowering treatment is associated with reduced physical activity and an increase in body weight.

“Because this is an observational study, it is difficult to tease out cause and effect. However, the important message is that the use of drugs to prevent heart and circulatory diseases is not a substitute for maintaining a healthy lifestyle.”

Prof Peter Sever, Professor of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Imperial College London, said the findings were interestting, but said some of the changes were not significant, with small changes seen in body mass index.

And he pointed out that those on medication were more likely to cut their alcohol intake, and to smoke less.

“These findings emphasise the importance of maintaining lifestyle advice to patients initiating drug treatment, with the message that drug treatment of raised blood pressure and elevated cholesterol is not a substitute for changes in lifestyle,” he said.

Hugo Pedder, Senior Research Associate in Statistical Modelling at the Bristol Medical School, University of Bristol, said: “It’s unclear from the study design whether those who initiate taking medications go on to have unhealthy lifestyles, or whether those who have unhealthy lifestyles initiate taking medications.”

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-20, 04:50

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Researchers said the findings suggested that some patients tend to slacken efforts to maintain a healthy lifestyle when they were offered a drug to cut their risk of heart problems.

I've lost track of how many people, when I've told them they can handle that illness with a low carb diet, stare off into the distance and say, "I'd rather take a pill."

At which point I stop, but what I want to say is, "Yeah, but that's not working, is it?"
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-20, 05:59

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I've lost track of how many people, when I've told them they can handle that illness with a low carb diet, stare off into the distance and say, "I'd rather take a pill."

At which point I stop, but what I want to say is, "Yeah, but that's not working, is it?"
I've experienced that a number of times with people too.

Everyone seems to want an 'easy' fix, but don't realise that's exactly what a low carb diet is.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-20, 09:33

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Low carb is too hard, anyone Ive talked with doesnt want to give up bread, or chips, or whatever carb controls them.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-20, 10:01

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Given that statins cause severe debilitating muscle pain in some of us, it strikes me that it may also cause a certain amount of muscle pain in other people. Not enough to be debilitating and maybe not even enough to be directly attributatble to the statins.... but SOME level of additional pain. If so, it's likely that folks experiencing increased but still relatively low levels of pain attribute the pain to over-doing it on exercise. With increased muscle pain, maybe people think "I must be getting old, I just can't keep doing what I used to do..." so they cut back on how physically active they are.

It seems at least POSSIBLE to me that the explanation for the lower levels of exercising seen amongst those who start taking statins is not due to some conscious or subconscious thought that the statin gives them a "free pass" so they don't have to exercise. But is instead due to statin users finding exercise HARDER to keep doing due to higher levels of muscle pain.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-20, 12:42

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Statins have been pushed as the miracle drug that prevents heart attacks. It's reasonable to assume that those taking the statins will feel protected and not be concerned about having to watch their diet or activity level.
The same can be said about the blood pressure drugs.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-20, 12:54

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
It seems at least POSSIBLE to me that the explanation for the lower levels of exercising seen amongst those who start taking statins is not due to some conscious or subconscious thought that the statin gives them a "free pass" so they don't have to exercise. But is instead due to statin users finding exercise HARDER to keep doing due to higher levels of muscle pain.

Recent Diet Doctor podcast with a researcher indicated 40% stop taking statins because of muscle pain. Which probably means some of them don't know their muscle pain is because of a statin, so it's likely higher.

#27, David Diamond, PhD, also says it is responsible for a lot of the dementia out there, too. Because what's the doctor going to say when you complain about your memory?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-20, 14:22

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
Given that statins cause severe debilitating muscle pain in some of us, it strikes me that it may also cause a certain amount of muscle pain in other people. Not enough to be debilitating and maybe not even enough to be directly attributatble to the statins.... but SOME level of additional pain. If so, it's likely that folks experiencing increased but still relatively low levels of pain attribute the pain to over-doing it on exercise. With increased muscle pain, maybe people think "I must be getting old, I just can't keep doing what I used to do..." so they cut back on how physically active they are.

In addition to causing pain, another nasty side effect of statins is the pathways by which they act actually physically decrease the beneficial effects of exercise in the human body, making whatever exercise you try to do less effective like you didn't put in the effort. And don't statins also increase your risk of diabetes? If they're promoting insulin resistance that may account for some of the weight gain. Nasty stuff!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-20, 16:35

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
In addition to causing pain, another nasty side effect of statins is the pathways by which they act actually physically decrease the beneficial effects of exercise in the human body,making whatever exercise you try to do less effective like you didn't put in the effort. And don't statins also increase your risk of diabetes? If they're promoting insulin resistance that may account for some of the weight gain. Nasty stuff!

I don't doubt that there's a certain amount of "free pass" mentality if you're taking a bunch of pills that are supposed to keep you from having physical problems (when in reality, all they do is to create better lab values).

But I'm also not surprised that after putting a patient on a med that causes muscle pain, they're now blaming the patient for not exercising, because it's too painful to exercise, and it also doesn't surprise me that when the same med causes weight gain and diabetes, that's also somehow the patient's fault.