Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-03-11, 17:38

Plan: my own
Stats: 150/150/115 Female 5ft 1
BF:
Progress:
Default Vegetarian low carb

Hi

im so glad i found this forum.. I have found the only diet that works for me is low carb.. I discovered this back as a meat eater, I dont actually think that meat is healthy and have been mostly vegan/vegetarian for 4 years, Id ideally be vegan and i am 80 -90% vegan when im being good-- if i lapse its with biscuits and sweets which contain dairy,

well after tryng other healthy diets im back to the the relisation again that its only low carb that works for my metabolism.. I am insulin resistant - i believe ( also diabetes type 2 in the family. I have suffered massively all my life with weight issues - aslo the last 5 years i have also come to the realisation that i may have fibromalgia as there is a host of other symptoms i get which seem to improve greatly on a low carb diet ie joint pain and brain fog and fatigue.

ive realied latley after being on a healthy diet that im yet again not losing weight on that,( i always feel like the healthy way should work but actually doesnt with me!) so im back to a low carb.. I feel too low carb is unhealthy ie 20g ( i once did this 7 years ago and ended up weeing blood for 2 days i was too scared to tell doctor what id actually been doing, he gave me an antibiotic for a uti) im actually affraid i may have damaged my kidneys at some point with atkins ( ie eating neat tin tuna and little carbs) so i think for me about 60g is what il aim for.. I take protein powder and soya milk and also tofu as my protein sources. ive noticed too im one of these ppl that cant go crazy with the fats just cos im low carb,

well ive lost a coupl eof ppounds only in the last 3 months following a ( ''healthy diet'') but now im on a low carb hopefully that will change ( to be honest i wasnt typically eating that many carbs previously about 100-120)( but low fat diet)

so back to 60g and feeling alot more positive about my life future now. i am 34 (f)about 150 iibs currently and 5 ft 1 with alot of obese type fat around my hips/bottom which is disproportionate to the resyt of me which is quite petite . I look disgusting.. but i have been 2 stone heavier before so im at a kind of mid point. I am a lot better than 3 months ago though .. I have been doing 50 laps 3 times a week for last 2 months too,.
i used to do heavy gym work outs in my 20s but i wrecked my joints with it and am prone to joint injusry so i cant do jogging or heavy gym cardio stuff, plus on a low carb i find i cant do heavy workouts so i opt foe swimming and walking and dancing.
much love to you all

Rainbowxxx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-11, 17:50

Plan: PP-Vegetarian; now SB veg
Stats: 143/130/115 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi Rainbow - I could be you! I am vegetarian, 5'1' & 155lbs, with really heavy thighs, hips & butt. Ugh... I had some success lc'ing a few years ago, but then I developed Graves Disease (autoimmune hyperthyroid) and had to give up soy. Infact the soy and/or aspartame that I consumed a lot of while lc'ing is what I credit for developing Graves. I used to be great health, other than being a bit overweight =) But note this is not a criticism of low carbing, just of the way I did it which can have consequences. I am currently debating starting a modified version - cut out the grains, but keep the beans & lentils. I know the weight loss will not be as quick, but thats just the way it is. The sticking point is sugar - I definitely will not be using artifical sweetners & sadly, don't like stevia. So mulling that over.
If you can eat meat, I recommend eating it - get the grass-fed kind - it is healthy. I personally don;t like teh taste of meat, but hoenstly don't think it is unhealthy. Due ot personal experience, I recommend not ingesting too much soy; I believe Tempeh & miso are ok (fermented), but other things, I would not eat too much of.
Good luck, whatever you decide!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-11, 19:58

BF:
Progress:

Hi Tuscany

thanks for your advice. Im glad your finding some success. with me i know beans and lentils would increase my carbs and take me over my limit. I have been on my current diet of 40 g protein, 20 g fat and 60-70g carbs and ive just weighed myself aftera week and lost NOTHING .

I am an ethical also practical vegetarian and so i really dont see meat as an option.. i think cheese clogs up the system and i get constipation too which increases with dairy. I was curious as to why you stopped the soya and thought it caused graves disease and affected thyroid? i try not to eat cheese and dairy eggs as i dont think animal stuff is good for you, plus my body doesnt process these things well. Therefore that leaves me with soya. i read up somewhere that it increases your oestrogen levels abit but as a female i cant see the damage in that. . I hope soya is not going also be a nono.

rainbow xxx
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-11, 20:17

BF:

Just do a cursory search on the internet, also at the Weston A Price Foundation website. Same with aspartame. Both seem to be implicated in thyroid issues. Of course, that may or may not be true in my case - after all I ate other things too. the only thing is, before the low carb phase, I had no health problems, after about 2 years of the soy & artificial sweetners, I have developed an auto-immune disorder. So I am going to err on the side of caution. I used to eat a soy protein based bar for breakfast, veggie burger with soy for lunch, tofu & vegetables for dinner. That is whole lot of soy! Also aspartame in my tea, coffee & desserts.
Again, just as not everyone who smokes gets cancer, not everyone eating these things may develop issues. But I'm done with them; I also like to get the word out & atleast make people aware of it.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-11, 20:35

Plan: Very low carb
Stats: 192.2/160/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

After 12 years as a vegetarian and daily doses of soy foods (soy milk, soy patties, soy crumbles, soy riblets, TVP) I developed hypothyroidism. I also got really fat from all the carbs.

I also fed all that stuff to my son. He is 14 yrs. old now and has breast tissue.

He's gone LC and has lost 32 lbs. and is doing much better. His chest is much smaller now. I'm hoping the breast tissue continues to shrink. OH, he ALSO developed hypothroidism and had to see an endocrinologist at age 12. I think it was all that soy I gave him all those years.

I'm so glad I saw the light and we both went LC and soy-free!

Now I'm back on meat and dairy and I feel so much better. It was hard at first, but now I know that it makes my body healthy so it has to be.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-11, 14:29

BF:
Progress:

Hi guys

Thanks for your replies.. well im suprised aboy the soy thig as its been a diet staple for oriental people for ages with no research indicative of it causing thyroid probs.. I did fond one linke online which was implicating soya in thryroid disorders thought.. I guess il have to watch out for that. If i had kid si often wonder what i should do too.. I guess if you eat cheese and dairy that that varies your protein intake right?

my brother actually grew breast tissue as a teenager tho he was not having any soy product at all. i dont know if he still has it it was a bit embarrasing for him to ask. i have to say tho that most normal meat products and meat meals have some soy prodduct in too its worth noting.

Tuscany. i d be carful too with artificial sweetners asthey are addictive and not good for you at al-- they actually make you crave sweet thing too.. There a horrendous poisen to the body-- are you not better training yourself of them as when you stop takinf sweetners ie in tea or whatever atr first it tastes awful but then your taste buds regulate... i used to have them and they contributed massively to the fatigue i was having. Im sure they will discover soon that it is implicated in health problems. its a timebomb i think. Anyway so is the modern life and most things so anyway good luck to us all.
thanks again for your advice guys
xx
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-11, 16:36

Plan: Very low carb
Stats: 192.2/160/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think it was something about the Orientals eating mainly fermented soy products.

They certainly didn't have all of the fake soy convenience foods we now have. I don't think they were pouring Silk Soy Milk over their Frosted Flakes. (Wait, they didn't have Frosted Flakes! )

Wishing you all the best in your journey to health.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-11, 11:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez in BR
I think it was something about the Orientals eating mainly fermented soy products.

They certainly didn't have all of the fake soy convenience foods we now have. I don't think they were pouring Silk Soy Milk over their Frosted Flakes. (Wait, they didn't have Frosted Flakes! )

Wishing you all the best in your journey to health.

That and they do not consume the quantities of soy products that a vegetarian on a low carb diet can.

Men can breast tissue w/o soy - its just a place for storing fat.

I'm sorry to hear about your son Beez - I fortunately learned about soy issues whle my son was little, so he hasn;t had any, fortunately.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-11, 12:13

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow000
I have been on my current diet of 40 g protein, 20 g fat and 60-70g carbs and ive just weighed myself aftera week and lost NOTHING .
Sounds like just plain not enough nutrition and your metabolism has ground to a halt.

I have never been in your situation wanting to be vegan - but have you seen Joel Furhman's eating plan? He advises people to remember you can get protein from leafy greens. That saves you from having to rely on too much soy, beans, or grains, or to have animal products that you don't want.

40 g of protein looks low even if you are very short. How are you figuring that protein amount?

I also think the fat is so low that maybe you are not getting enough to run the metabolism at all - some is needed for the machinery - hormones and what not. Or you might have the kind of body that doesn't make essential fatty acids very well from plant sources.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 09:48
Registered Member

Plan: Dramatic Weight Loss plan
Stats: 197/177/127 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

I surely hope I have not made a bad choice by joining this forum. i am vegetarian(mostly VEGAN)and intend to stay that way for MORAL reasons! Rainbow , I commend you for eating an ethical diet!the low carb thing is working for me. I am doing it with a doctor at first(since I have no idea what I'm doing). I'm doing 6 shakes a day. I am using firm tofu and RANGE FREE/PASTURE raised eggs. this kind of goes against my vegan ideals somewhat but I'm studying on how to keep it ALL vegan. where there is a will there is a way! I love karma free food!