Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 16:45

Plan: Lacto-Paleo
Stats: 322/168/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Dear god tha sounds gooooood!

Wish i had time 2 make such a complicated recipe!

*droooool*
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 18:55

Plan: HCG
Stats: 28/22/16 Female 72 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 50%

are any of you gorging on avocados? I am still trying to wrap my head around what I would eat were I to take up this WOE. I'm studying your threads with great interest.
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 19:20
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisR
Thanks all for the ideas....popcorn is the one that really 'sings' for me! Can't wait to check the carb/protein counts out on the microwave popcorn that is available here (vastly limited from what is available in the USA).

Kris, forgive my ignorance, but is there an Australian Amazon? If so, you can order the Presto popcorn maker for the microwave: http://tinyurl.com/deulr4

I've had one for the last few years, and it's wonderful. It will pop with oil or without and will make about 6 cups of popcorn made from 3 tablespoons of kernels in less than 3 minutes. MUCH cheaper (literally pennies to make a batch) and frankly, much healthier. The pre-packaged microwave stuff is loaded with chemicals. If you can't get it there, maybe one of your sisters could send it - it's very lightweight. And I'm sure you can get popcorn kernels there.

And it will pop as little as a tablespoon - 2 popped cups - which is only 8 net carbs and 1.3g protein. Stir in some melted butter (with or without a smidge of shaved Parmesan cheese) and you're in business. O.M.G. -- as I wrote that I just thought of the Yacon syrup I ordered that's sitting on the counter. I bet if I poured a little into melted butter I could coat the popcorn and make caramelized popcorn balls! Okay... project for tomorrow. I've been wanting to play around with the Yacon anyway.

For those who aren't familiar with it - google. It's an incredible all-natural LC sweetener from the Peruvian Yacon root that is very, very healthy for you. A prebiotic that helps you absorb more calcium from your food, and a lot of other good things. Tastes a little like maple syrup but is really unique in taste. And is very heat stable, too.

Lisa
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 19:22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadge
are any of you gorging on avocados?

I eat one every other day drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice - along with smoked salmon and a slice of very thin bread loaded with butter. One of my favorite lunches. Thank god for Trader Joes - 4 for $3.49.

Lisa
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 19:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadge
are any of you gorging on avocados? I am still trying to wrap my head around what I would eat were I to take up this WOE. I'm studying your threads with great interest.

I just bought 8! Waiting for them to ripen.

Popcorn!?!? I totally forgot about that stuff.
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 19:36
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pangolina
Lisa, as per a previous poster's request that we keep this to menu descriptions, I'm going to reply to the more general posts in the main Dr. K thread. Hope you don't mind.

I don't mind at all - and happily replied there, but as people are discussing their food choices in this thread, I thought this should also be replicated here.
===========
Quote:
Given that you're already eating stuff like liver and bone marrow, I'm not sure why you'd want to suggest that these food choices aren't likely to be a factor in your success.

Because I haven't had bone marrow for about six months and have only had liver once in the last five weeks - and have lost 3 pounds without them just fine. In fact, other than egg yolks (which I always ate) I'm not eating any of Dr. K's recommended foods -- except of course for the cream and butter, etc. which I also always ate.

Quote:
Have you looked into their amino acid, vitamin, and mineral content, compared to foods that are lower down on the "most optimal" scale? There are real, scientific reasons why they're considered to be more nutritious.

But I'm not on this new WOE to eat 'optimally' according to Dr. K. I'm eating this way because despite my learning that I'm one of the people who cannot process high protein while eating a high fat diet, I'm not willing to give up LC. Now I don't have to. But nor do I have to eat K's favorite foods to lose weight and be very, very healthy. Slim and healthy using his ratio and my foods - that's good enough for me.

Quote:
Besides, as mentioned in my post on the other thread, they're absolutely not some strange quirk of the post-war Polish diet. Every single society that ate an animal-based diet has consumed these foods, until very modern times.

Absolutely positively true. No argument from me there, and I hope I didn't give that impression. I just don't want to eat most of what's on his list, and what I want to convey to anyone reading this is that they don't have to either in order to stay healthy and lose weight. Maybe this Americanized version isn't the real K deal - but if I had a nickle for every variation and tweak of an LC 'diet' of one kind or another -- that works nicely for many people -- I'd be rich!

Quote:
If someone has a strong aversion to certain of the most highly recommended foods, that shouldn't interfere with success on the diet. I've never seen anything suggesting that you have to eat all of them [note from Lisa: or, I'd argue, any of them] ... but if you're doing fine without it, I'm not about to argue.

Deal!

Lisa
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 19:38

Plan: Pregnancy / Dr. K / SCD
Stats: 160/000/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 640%

For those who don't have the time to make pate (hand raised over here!), you can make a quick version by whizzing liverwurst, butter, and seasonings in a food processor or blender. We had this for breakfast this morning, along with boiled eggs. It was delicious; everyone from DH to the baby was scarfing it down.

I used about 1 part butter to 2 parts liverwurst, but YYMV; our liverwurst was pretty lean. I also had to add a little heavy cream to get it started. For seasonings, I put in some caraway seeds and thyme, but next time I'll try the ones from the Anthony Bourdain recipe. Cognac would definitely have been welcome.
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 22:10

Plan: moderate carb
Stats: 300/209/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by awriter
Kris, forgive my ignorance, but is there an Australian Amazon? If so, you can order the Presto popcorn maker for the microwave: [b]http://tinyurl.com/deulr4

Lisa

No Amazon here and as I found out when trying to get the timer/stopwatch sent here, they will ship some items but not others (books are ok!). However, I'll keep my eye out for a microwave popcorn maker here - great idea! And, if I can't find it, I'll pick one up next time I'm in the USA (hopefully later this year).
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 22:15

Plan: moderate carb
Stats: 300/209/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Quote:
For those who don't have the time to make pate (hand raised over here!), you can make a quick version by whizzing liverwurst, butter, and seasonings in a food processor or blender. We had this for breakfast this morning, along with boiled eggs. It was delicious; everyone from DH to the baby was scarfing it down.

hmmm....liverwurst.....I remember that from my childhood! I wonder if they sell liverwurst in Australia? Another thing to investigate next time I'm at the market!

And your quick version, Pangolina, sounds great. I cringed and sighed when I read Anthony's recipe 'cuz I knew I'd never do it but it sounded so delicious. Can't wait to try your version.

Wanted to add my thanks to everyone participating in this thread. Your ideas, experience and information is so helpful and appreciated.
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Apr-19-09, 09:12

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:

O.M.G. -- as I wrote that I just thought of the Yacon syrup I ordered that's sitting on the counter. I bet if I poured a little into melted butter I could coat the popcorn and make caramelized popcorn balls! Okay... project for tomorrow. I've been wanting to play around with the Yacon anyway.

For those who aren't familiar with it - google. It's an incredible all-natural LC sweetener from the Peruvian Yacon root that is very, very healthy for you. A prebiotic that helps you absorb more calcium from your food, and a lot of other good things. Tastes a little like maple syrup but is really unique in taste. And is very heat stable, too.

Lisa

Lisa, prebiotics are all filled with FRUCTANS, and should not be consumed by persons attempting to be LOW fructose, much less anyone attempting to be fructose free.

I'm trying to find acidophilus/bifidus capsules which aren't poisoned with FOS, which is pure fructan and will bring my symptoms back fast.

I'm also hoping to compile a list of spices & herbs which I can use - as I can no longer eat onions or garlic.
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Apr-19-09, 09:18

BF:

Quote:
I don't mind at all - and happily replied there, but as people are discussing their food choices in this thread, I thought this should also be replicated here.
===========

Because I haven't had bone marrow for about six months and have only had liver once in the last five weeks - and have lost 3 pounds without them just fine. In fact, other than egg yolks (which I always ate) I'm not eating any of Dr. K's recommended foods -- except of course for the cream and butter, etc. which I also always ate.

But I'm not on this new WOE to eat 'optimally' according to Dr. K. I'm eating this way because despite my learning that I'm one of the people who cannot process high protein while eating a high fat diet, I'm not willing to give up LC. Now I don't have to. But nor do I have to eat K's favorite foods to lose weight and be very, very healthy. Slim and healthy using his ratio and my foods - that's good enough for me.

Absolutely positively true. No argument from me there, and I hope I didn't give that impression. I just don't want to eat most of what's on his list, and what I want to convey to anyone reading this is that they don't have to either in order to stay healthy and lose weight. Maybe this Americanized version isn't the real K deal - but if I had a nickle for every variation and tweak of an LC 'diet' of one kind or another -- that works nicely for many people -- I'd be rich!

Deal!

Lisa

Lisa... isn't it possible, as you mentioned in 2 different threads on the first day, that this Optimal Diet when followed according to the original instructions is not merely a high pork & dairy fat diet, but that more importantly, it is extremely LOW fructose --- and therefore, people who are 'tweaking' the plan to their liking must be certain to make LOW fructose, LOW fructan choices when they change things?
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Apr-19-09, 10:11

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
Lisa, prebiotics are all filled with FRUCTANS, and should not be consumed by persons attempting to be LOW fructose, much less anyone attempting to be fructose free.

I'm trying to find acidophilus/bifidus capsules which aren't poisoned with FOS, which is pure fructan and will bring my symptoms back fast.

I'm also hoping to compile a list of spices & herbs which I can use - as I can no longer eat onions or garlic.

Don't forget Annie that fructans being fibers are indigestible.

Patrick
  #58   ^
Old Sun, Apr-19-09, 10:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
Don't forget Annie that fructans being fibers are indigestible.

Patrick

Don't forget Patrick that half of all Europeans are fructose intolerant and cannot eat either high fructose and high fructan foods.

It is VERY possible that the Optimal Diet achieves success because it is BOTH low fructose & low fructan - presumably half or more of Polish people would have Fructose Malabsorption.

To simply decide that the H.O.D. works because of the macro ratios, and to push it, in a perverted form, is simply ludicrous --- WHY isn't everyone promoting Barry Groves --- it's stated all over these threads that he has the same macro ratios??
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Apr-19-09, 12:01

Plan: atkins-y paleo-y
Stats: 164.2/125.2/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
--- WHY isn't everyone promoting Barry Groves ---

Ummm you are --- promoting Barry Groves. It is in all the OD threads.

And maybe no one else wants to. And as some one said in another thread, they are, perhaps, not identical. In much the same way as Atkins is different from South Beach from Protein Power from CAD from Sonoma from --- insert low carb program of your choice here. Similar principles, different plans.
  #60   ^
Old Sun, Apr-19-09, 12:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/185/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 74%

If anyone is interested in a "cake" without flour, I use the below. I think I got the initial recipe from this site but it could have been elsewhere. You can use two sticks of butter (1 cup) instead of any cream cheese, I just like the texture cream cheese adds. I've never tried it with cream instead of cream cheese, that may work too!

Almond Flour Pound Cake
Low Carbohydrate Recipe
Ingredients:

4 oz cream cheese
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
1 cup splenda*
5 eggs
2 cups almond flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
Cream cream cheese, butter and splenda well.

Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each. (I actually beat all 5 together and slowly pour in)

Mix flour with baking powder and add to egg mixture a little at a time while beating. Add lemon and vanilla extracts. Blend well.

Pour into greased 9-inch cake pan and bake at 325-degrees for 35-40 minutes.

*my sweet meter has gone down a lot. For a long time I used 18 packets of splenda instead of a cup of granular, but now I use 6 drops stevia and 12 packets splenda.

For the banana flavored bars instead of pound cake I use 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, 1-2 tsp banana extract (usually 1.5) and 1 tsp vanilla extract instead of the lemon/vanilla extract combo in the pound cake.

For pumpkin bars I use 1/2 cup canned pumpkin, 1/4 cup butter, 2 oz cream cheese , 1-2 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp nutmeg and 1 tsp vanilla. * This week I made the pumpkin ones with 1/2 cup canned pumkin and a stick of butter (no cream cheese) to better fit in with ON. I still prefer cream cheese added! I also used just 4 eggs and added two extra yolks. The texture is a little different (more eggy) but not bad.

Another variation I think would be good would be to substitute the pumpkin for unsweetened applesauce and then use spices that are good for apple pie.

This is the almond flour I buy: http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/bl...ndflour5lb.aspx
They also make a natural almond flour but that has the skins on so it's courser ground.