Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 14:43
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey that's good to hear y'all got your orders from HoodiaHoodia.com. I just called them today and they said my order went out last week. However, when I called them the week before they also said it went out last week. So there's hope I'll be getting it any day now. Yeah!

Glad it's working for everyone.

Wanda
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 15:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I remember reading that the tests they ran people ate like 1000 calories a day less. Do you think it is having that much of an impact on you?
  #78   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 15:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

no, that would bring me down to not-enough calories per day! I'm not a big eater, never have been -- just a snacker! And remember, I only take one of the hoodia tabs each day -- I imagine that eating is cut back in relation to how much you take? And how much you have been eating? Perhaps if someone eats a huge amount of food to begin with, then he/she would see a large reduction of calories?

I have definitely lost my interest in food -- if I decide that I ought to eat it, I do -- it hasn't made food look bad -- just no interest....

I can go into the pantry, see the nuts, and NOT TOUCH THEM! I don't even want to! But at supper, I eat a decent sized serving of whatever we're having..
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-05, 17:52

Stats: 160/150.5/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I weigh myself everyday too! It's just that I need that "reward" of seeing my progress.

That's great the Hoodia is working for you, Bonnie. I am envious. It's not for me, yet, but I'm hoping it will soon. Have you (or others reading this post) experienced a few days or week before it truly kicked in? I've heard that can be the case. I hope that's not unusual, because I haven't noticed of an decrease in appetite much yet. But at least I'm not famished like I was on the other stuff, which I'm wondering now if it was real or not. Fingers crossed. BTW, do you still get stomach "growls" even though you aren't feeling hungry? Just curious, because I suppose I haven't been eating quite as much the last 2 days yet my stomach is growling like crazy and that sensation drives me nuts!

Thanks for your positive words. It's good to know that the stuff DOES work and patience is probably the key. That's just not my forte, LOL!!

Jill
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 11:58
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

This part from the hoodiahoodia website jumped out at me since I'm hypothyroid. Apparently hypothyroid people can take longer to see the effects (about 2-3 weeks) of hoodia. Figures!

Wanda
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 12:10

BF:

Never been diagnosed with hypothyroid, but I'll do some reading on it. Thanks for the info. I'm hoping for some affects from the hoodia here soon.
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 12:19

I have no problems with thyroid (at least that my doctor recognizes -- although I certainly don't display the classic symptoms, such as lack of energy and hair loss, I do have problems with weight, body temperature is low, metabolism appears sluggish....).

So far , so good -- honestly, I've not had a stretch of 3 full weeks where I've not "broken" and gone back to snacking and overeating -- I think the hoodia is working for me. When I get home in the evening, I DO NOT SNACK! This is a major accomplishment for me! I don't even have any interest in snacking, though when I sit down to dinner, I can eat whatever I've put on my plate... And when my husband has ice cream or sf candy in the evening, I can say "no thanks" (or just take 1 small taste -- very unusual for me!).

I am not losing weight very fast, and in fact I seem to be bouncing around at 150 (up a quarter pound, today down a quarter pound). I want to see my weight start heading downwards again! My clothing is fitting a lot better -- much of my belly has gone down (long way from looking good, though) -- and I've lost from my thighs.

However, even though I've not put stats into Fitday and figured out my calorie consumption -- it has to be reasonably low -- so I should start losing, albeit slowly, again? [How do you put foods like homemade chicken soup into Fitday? there are so many vegetables added, and you never know just what a scoop of the soup will hold....]

I think that I will continue on with the hoodia, I have no idea if it'll work for the rest of you, but it seems to be working for me. I am very much interested in how others are reacting to it, and how they take it (1/day? 2/day? or ????). I take 1 of the hoodiahoodia tabs and 1 of the Source Natural tabs at approximately 5:30 PM, as I'm leaving work --then I eat around 7 to 7:30 PM....

Jill -- my stomach has been doing a lot of gurlgling the last couple of days -- don't really think it's from the hoodia, but it might be -- I suspect that I have some sort of very minor bug that's affecting me, my husband has had it too. No stomach growling, though....
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 12:28

Jill -- I just reread your post -- we seem to have the same amount of weight to lose -- you mentioned that you're not famished as you had been on the "other stuff" and that you have been eating a bit less recently -- perhaps you are starting to see some effects?

At your weight, you probably don't eat a great quantity of food each day, so you have less to adjust and will maybe lose slower than someone who is coming from a higher weight -- at least that's how I'm figuring it. Does that make any sense? I do know that we don't want our appetite decreased to the point that we're not eating enough -- I do not want to lose weight that way and then have to continue for maintenance -- I want to eat normal-sized portions!

I am quite happy with the cessation of snacking -- maybe you have one area to tackle that you'd like to see a bit of an appetite reduction? Just a thought....

And I'm not trying to say that it is a miracle pill -- I am fully committed ot eating less, it is simply enabling me to stick with that commitment!
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 15:16

BF:

Hi Bonnie,

You are so sweet! I appreciate your encouragement. The feeling of being famished was occuring after taking the HoodiaPlace stuff. Could have been mental, though, LOL! Soon as I stopped taking it, that feeling went away (thank goodness!!). In other words, I went back to "normal." Snacking is my big problem too. Since taking the HoodiaHoodia stuff I haven't felt famished, thankfully, but I haven't felt my appetite lessening at all. So no change that I can tell. I also don't think I have a thyroid issue, but I did write Jen an email and asked her if some of the feedback they have been getting indicates that some people are experiencing a slower start, but then it kicks in just like it should. I'll post her reply when I get it. I haven't lost hope yet.

Yes, it seems like we have about the same amount to lose. I would really like to lose 20, but at this point I'd be thrilled to get rid of 10 or 15. I really want to drop some of the extra weight before we try to get PG in a few months. Then I'll have to be off the Hoodia until weaning, probably several years away. While I might not get PG, if I do, I'll obviously have to stop, and if #2 is anything like #1, s/he will breastfeed FOREVER. My darling daughter nursed past her 2nd birthday when I finally cut her off, albeit slowly. I was just ready for it to be over. So.... time is of the essence with the Hoodia because we want to start trying in the next few months.

I'll let you know what Jen says. Thanks again for your kind words. I'll keep you posted and please do the same. I'm so happy for you that it's working well!

Jill
  #85   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 15:53

BF:

Here is Jen's response to my question regarding whether some customers, in general, have reported the affects taking a while to kick in:

Hi Jill: Yes, some of them do. Try doing a loading dose for 3 - 5 days and see if it gets it moving in your system faster. Take 2 in the morning and 2 before dinner for a few days and see if it kicks in. Some people just don't react well to anything and it can sometimes take 2 - 3 weeks to feel the effects. You should have a feeling of general good health and natural energy from it within the first couple of weeks.
  #86   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-05, 16:25

Good luck, Jill, with losing some weight before you get pregnant with #2!

I have 6 children, my baby turns 20 this Friday (and my oldest will be 35 this summer). I fought my weight throughout my pregnancies, think all of it (the weight) was pregnancy-related!

I didn't low-carb back then (except for a short while, around 1973 - Stillman and Atkins were diet names then, and I remember that my interpretation of these diets was to buy a huge can of Planter's salted peanuts and eat only that! LOL! And I actually slimmed down! But obviously, I couldn't stick to that WOE for too long...). This time (I started low-carbing for serious in 1994) I bought and read the books!

It seemed each time I got pregnant, I put on (and kept) an extra 10 pounds -- and nursing my kids (each for over a year) never, ever enabled me to lose any weight! If anything, I put on even more weight while nursing.

Keep me posted on how you do with the "loading" procedure that Jen outlined.
  #87   ^
Old Thu, Jan-27-05, 09:52

I'm down another 1/4 pound!! I really think this stuff is working for me!

Last night, I had to pack some nuts/sf-candies for my husband to take to work -- and I wasn't tempted to eat even one nut! And he had a bowl of sf ice cream later in the evening -- I didn't even want a taste of it!

How's everyone else doing????
  #88   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-05, 10:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/196/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Hoodia

Been lurking on this thread for a little while and thought I would put in my 2 cents. I've been taking Hoodia for 12 days now and have lost 8 lb with basically no effort. For me, it is a miracle and I hate to use that word because people have suggested "miracle" suppliments to me that haven't worked at all so I was VERY skeptical. My husband and I took 2 pills at the same time. He was not hungry all day and practically had to force himself to eat at the end of the day (of course he was ecstatic) I really didn't get any results at all that day. The second day was the same for him. We have put all our meals into dietpower(weight loss software) to monitor our calories etc. He went from an average of 2500 cal/day(complained of hunger) to 950 cal/day (w/o hunger)on Hoodia.I was getting depressed on the second day because I really wasn't getting a noticible effect but I kept taking 2 pills before each meal. However, mentally I was curiously "happy" both days and had good mental focus.The third day was the day it really kicked in for me and it's been very effective in appetite control. I'm comfortably eating around 1200 cal/day with mild hunger occationally. It's a little weird sometimes though. Sometimes my stomach growls and acts hungry but my brain says I'm not.If you are a binge eater (eating w/o any hunger) I don't think Hoodia would work for you. All it really does is take away appetite not curb mental cravings (a piece of chocolate cake still looks good to me) however I can now take two bites of it, push it away and be satisfied whereas before I would down the whole thing and look around for more.I hope this helps anyone considering taking it and I would love to hear from anyone else with experience w/ Hoodia,good or bad.
  #89   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-05, 10:59

I think you identified how hoodia is working for me -- it doesn't make me not enjoy food, it just makes it uninteresting....

For example, I can handle food that I find tasty (re: nuts) yet be totally uninterested in eating it -- but if I did decide to eat a couple of nuts, would likely enjoy them.

My results since my last note were the same -- I ate only what I decided to, and no more -- didn't snack, take any seconds, or nibble while cooking. I have determined what I consider a reasonable WOE for me, being careful to not cut back caloric-wise too much, and making sure my protein and fats are adequate -- and then that is what I eat....

I am down over 10 pounds from when I started, but the weight loss has slowed down considerably -- was maybe down another 1/4 pound this morning -- I now weigh less than 150! I will be very happy if it continues at this rate, I had been very slowly gaining weight (while low-carbing).

fraz8 - What brand of hoodia are you taking? and what is the strength of each tab? It sems that you are taking 6 tabs a day? I take 2 tabs each day, and I'm not sure if one of the tabs has much in it (the Source Naturals: stem extract 20:1, 250 mg).

Thanks!
  #90   ^
Old Fri, Jan-28-05, 14:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/196/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Hoodia

Hi Bonnie,

Ive been taking Desert Burn (thru HGpills). I also have some Hoodoba but I haven't tried it yet. I ordered from 2 different places because I heard it has been difficult for some to get it. Took about 3 weeks to arrive. I've read so much on the web about which brand works and which doesn't...they all seemed to conflict! So I rolled the dice and picked one. This one works, at least for me.

I did stumble on a body builder web site that claimed that Hoodia did not work for hard core body builders. They dramatically drop their calories right before competition to accentuated that "chisled" look and were hoping the Hoodia would reduce their hunger. They didn't have good results even with high doses. I did notice myself when I worked out extra hard one day that the Hoodia didn't curb my hunger very well. You're body really knows it needs extra calories! I work out moderately now (light weights and walking on treadmill) and stick to low carb and resist the temptation to "speed things along". This is the lowest weight I've been for 5 years and nothing has changed in my life except for the Hoodia. I'm convinced it works...hopefully it will continue to work until I get to my goal!
-Holly