Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 08:55
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietone
Ok. I'm going to get some today. But I was reading an article yesterday (someone's experience) and he said he had to take much more than it says to on the bottle? Anyone?
Quietone, that's been my experience until I started the DB. The DB brand has 750mg/capsule instead of the standard 400mg/capsule so it really is much more economical for me. I was taking 4x400mg capsules before so I was going through my stash pretty quick.
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 08:57

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Thanks. I think that must have been what he was doing too.
  #183   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 09:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Ok. I'm going to get some today. But I was reading an article yesterday (someone's experience) and he said he had to take much more than it says to on the bottle? Anyone?

During the week, I take 2 tablets (one source naturals and 1 hoodiahodia) just before I leave work for the day -- and this effectively curbs my mindless snacking when I get home. By the time I have supper ready, I simply eat a reasonable portion and don't need to snack inthe evening. On weekends, I "play it by ear" -- take a tablet before going to a restaurant, or grocery shopping, or to a party.... never more than 3 (total) in any day.

On another board, some of the people take 2 tablets 3 times a day.

I imagine that it depends on where you are in your weight loss (I was following low carb, my weight was going up....and I identified the possible problem as snacking when I got home from work). Perhaps if you're just beginning to lose weight, you need to address each of your meals -- or if you don't have all that much to lose, you don't need as much?

I think you'll need to experiment and find what works for you. I do not want to take more than I need, nor do I want to cut my appetite to an unhealthy level -- I've been losing weight at the rate of 1.5 - 2.0 pounds per week, which is about right for me.

Also, I think the hoodia is not magic -- it doesn't make you lose weight, it simply gives you a (very effective) tool to lose weight -- you still have to commit to your WOE and work at it. In another board, a man complained that it wasn't working for him -- after he had a banana split and popcorn (in lieu of a balanced meal) -- I imagine that his insulin spiked pretty badly and nothing would have worked at that point....
  #184   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 09:20

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Thanks, Bonnie.

Yes, my controlling my eating after I get home seems to be the problem for me also. Especially in the winter when I can't get outside to do gardening or anything. During the day at work, I am fine. Don't really care about eating anything other than lunch. And it isn't that I snack so much as that I eat a very large volume for dinner lately. Even doing low carb. I just feel so hungry then for some reason. So that is what I am using it for. To try to control how hungry I am at dinner time.
  #185   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 11:55

Plan: LA weight loss
Stats: 171.5/164.5/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:

Woohoo, I am down again, I am now 159.5. I finally broke the 160 mark. 140 hear I come. The Desert burn seems much stronger than Hoodia Supreme, I have noticed I don't even need the 6 a day, i only take 3 and it really does it for me. Maybe because the Hoodia Supreme was already decreases my appetite a lot already, but I am really excited.
  #186   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 12:04

Wow! And congratulations!!!!
  #187   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 12:06

A "cheaper" source for the Desert Burn: www.thebestlittlevitaminshop.com .

I was so excited when I broke the 150# mark (we have a standard doctor's type scale, the weights are 50, 100, 150.... ) when I broke 150, we didn't need to reposition the counterweight, it just stayed on the 100 (my husband weighs 144#)..... Now I'm looking forward to getting under 140 pounds (I was 142 this morning, expect it'll be a week or so before I get under 140).

And I'm wearing the jeans that last week fit nicely -- today they are loose! I have a pair of Calvin Klein jeans that I squeezed into last week (not yet wearable, too snug) -- plan to try them on tonight and see if I'm there!

I LIKE HOODIA!!!!
  #188   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 13:02

Plan: LA weight loss
Stats: 171.5/164.5/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:

Thats great, I originally got mine from Hgpills. I still have a lot of pills left, so I am not going to order anything else right now, but maybe next time i will use www.thebestlittlevitaminshop.com
  #189   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 15:33
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 305/250/210 Male 75 inches
BF:leaner
Progress: 58%

I have been taking the Source Naturals extract ( 6 pills a day in 3 doses). I have not noticed a thing in over a week - I just ordered the Desert Burn so hopefully that helps. Not seeing many guys on this thread, so I thought I would give my 2 cents from a guy's perspective - I am thinking that the Desert Burn will allow for a higher dosage and that at my height/weight/ and appetite level, this could be the ticket!
  #190   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 15:39

If you go to www.hgpills.com there's a forum of people (male and female) using the Desert Burn hoodia -- you may find it interesting....

Good luck!
  #191   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 21:13

Plan: Atkins~Modified
Stats: 173/173/145 Female 5' 6" and growing!
BF:26.6%/
Progress: 0%

Thanks Thebestlittlevitaminshop.com is the best place to get the Hoodia! I just ordered mine. I hope it works for me the way I have read it works for others.
Thanks
Brenda

Hey BKM, How long did it take you to lose the weight you lost on the Hoodia? You seem to be really thrilled with this product. I need to lose 20 pounds by May or June that is why I am asking.
Thanks
Brenda
  #192   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 09:11

Brenda,

January 1, 2005, I weighed 160 pounds (I considered at least 5 pounds of that post-holiday "bloat", the rest was actual weight).

Today I weigh 140.25 pounds!

So I've lost close to 20 pounds in 2 months -- I still want to lose another 10 pounds.

At no time during these 2 months have I deviated from basic low-carbing, and I've exercised very regularly. However, this is what I was doing before the hoodia -- just that I would come home from work very hungry and would start snacking (almonds!, sf candies, cheese....). My weight, which I had maintained at around 130 pounds for many years, had been creeping up, about 5 pounds per year.

Now I eat a (fairly large, about 450 calories) breakfast. Perhaps a salad for lunch (no more than 100 calories), and a small supper (last night was home-made chicken soup with a slice of Ezekiel bread [buttered]) -- no snacking at all throughout the day.

The hoodia works beautifully for me -- I am not constantly hungry, I haven't even thought about eating nuts/cheese/sf candy recently -- and I think I'm starting to recognize when I'm full (rather than eating whatever is on my plate) -- working on this one yet!

Bonnie
  #193   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 09:17

Brenda,

I just looked at your profile -- apparently you're turning 50 soon. I first lost my weight (from 190 to less than 130) when I decided (at the age of 49) that I was NOT going to spend the second half of my life fat and frumpy!!!! It was a good goal for me and it worked! (I'm 61 now, and I'll be darned if I'll ever return to being really heavy again!)

We also have similar "goals" -- you want to be 135 at 5'8", and I want to be 130 at 5'7"!

Good luck!!!
  #194   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 12:10

Plan: Atkins~Modified
Stats: 173/173/145 Female 5' 6" and growing!
BF:26.6%/
Progress: 0%

Thats great BKM! We almost have the same goals and you started about the same age as I am now. Whats even better is that you have stayed with it! Great Inspiration! Hey if you can give me any tips they would be welcome. By the way, my moms name is Bonnie also. You are doing great and you have a great attitude. I like that.
Thanks for responding to my post
Brenda
  #195   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 12:25
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I am ready to give you my input on the Hoodia that I purchased and started taking about a week or so ago.

First of all....I have the NOW brand 20:1 250 mg. capsules. I started taking 2 capsules 1/2 hour before I left work for home so that I wouldn't snack too much while fixing dinner. After taking this for a while I noticed that it did not help me to not eat everything in site when I got home.

By chance I took the hoodia about 3PM while at work and when I got home at 6:15 PM I wasn't ravenous just a little hungry. So I fixed a sensible dinner and was satisfied with a salad and some chicken.

I have been documenting all of my experiences with the Hoodia that I have and find it does work at curbing my appetite if I take it around mid morning or noon.

I try not to weigh myself and can't tell you how much I have lost on hoodia. I have to tell you though that I have just purchased a size 8 jeans and they fit.

Is it the hoodia? Is it the rigorous workouts that I am doing every other day? Who knows. I do know one thing, something is keeping me from grazing all day when I am home.

Having said that.......I went to Vitamin Shoppe today and purchased another Hoodia product (my NOW brand is getting low). It is a Nature's Benefit product and much stronger then my NOW brand. Two capsules equal 800 mgs. As soon as I start on those I will be back with a report.

You can find it at http://vitaminshoppe.com/browse/sku...pe=SearchResult

HN