Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sun, Jan-30-05, 15:15

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 148/145.5/125 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

I am a new Hoodia user and member to this forum. I have been following your progress BKM in this Hoodia thread and I am encouraged and also very encouraged by Fraz8.
I began with my first pill on Friday Jan. 28th at a pub! About 10 min. before my Fish and Chips arrived. I thought I was setting myself up for failure - again. Only ate half of the delicious haddock and a couple of fries and packed the rest to take home. AMAZING!
Saturday my first full day and it was working. I took a total of 3 pills during the course of the day, before meals.
I made it through a shopping mall without stopping for a dessert to snack on. I did feel a bit hungry when I went to bed at about 12:30 AM but decided to stick it out and not go anywhere near the kitchen.
Officially my day 2 on Hoodia and I have lost 1 pound. I have been weighing myself for the last couple days and had been at a steady 148, no bouncing numbers on the digit scale. Maybe it is too soon to tell but I am encouraged by reading through the forum and how I am feeling. The weekends, like for most, is a difficult time to begin any weight management program. But I feel like if I can make it through tonight and the next week - evenings! - then maybe Hoodia really can work for me.

I find myself constantly checking if I am ok, am I hungry? I am ok...

The product I am using is from FLORA - a Canadian based company. This Hoodia Trim has a few other ingredients. It's well respected brand here - http://www.florahealth.com/flora/ho...oducts/1262.asp.
I talked to my local Health Food store regarding the best quality product and this is what she directed me too.

I look forward to reading the progress on this thread with Hoodia and sharing my experiences with you.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 09:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

update:

I am now down to 148.5 pounds! this is a loss of almost 12 pounds -- and it's a weight I haven't seen for a couple of years!

Saturday morning we went out to a nice brunch -- I took a hoodia tab before leaving the house -- and at the brunch I was completely satisfied with my eggs benedict (did not eat the English muffins -- only the eggs/ham/sauce), a small bowl of fresh fruit, and coffee). I had my daughter pack my banana-nut muffin, and didn't touch the hash browns ... and I did not have a drink (i.e., mimosa....).

Later in the day, I took another hoodia, then ate a small bowl of homemade beef/barley/vegetable soup....

I think this stuff is really working for me -- I don't want to lose so fast that I can't maintain the weight loss -- but a pound or two each week is nice. My clothes are fitting much better. I do not have any "good" feeling that others have reported, but then I'm typically not at all depressed (and when I am, there is a concrete reason....) -- so maybe the mood-altering doesn't need to kick in for me....

However, I am not treating this as a magic solution -- I am still carefully counting carbs and watching overall calories -- I think that the hoodia is making everything possible, as long as I continue my part....
  #93   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 10:25

BF:

That is excellent BKM! I know that feeling when you see those numbers on the scale and it's been a long time.

Since beginning on Friday night I am down 1.5 lbs.
I am feeling for the first time this is the kind of support I have needed to make a difference. This is not a magic potion, there is still choices to be made but the Hoodia is making it a lot easier to deal with.
Like last night I say no thanks to a slice of apple pie. My boyfriend said how about just the filling and not the pie crust? No thanks, I am ok for now!!

I am approaching this weightloss a part of some life adjustments which I need to make.
I believe you need to be ready to make the changes, right now I am ready. It's been a few years since I felt this determination.

I am hoping to get engaged this year to a wonderful man and plan on taking a vacation to the sunny south. I want to have a different kind of experience all together. I want to feel comfortable with myself and what I look like and not try to cover up all of me.

Just wondering about approx. how many calories are you consuming a day BKM?
  #94   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 10:47

littlemune: I am eating from 850 to 1100 calories each day -- not a lot, but I simply don't lose weight at anything higher.

I've tried eating very low-carb (induction levels) with added calories -- I end up slowly gaining. I've tried many small meals throughout the day -- I end up gaining. I exercise regularly (30 minutes/day, with a lot of added walking) -- although this seems to be good for me -- no weight loss. I think everyone on this board is likely used to my whining....

However, I'm 60 years old, and have probably messed my metabolism up over the years. For the past 10 or so years, I've low-carbed. I maintained my weight at 120-130 for many years, then a few years ago it started creeping up. I would go back to strict induction for a couple of weeks (hate it!), tried the fat fast (wasn't able to continue with it, simply did not like it), tried a variety of tweaks -- this is the first thing that seems to be working for me....

Congratulations on your impending engagement -- getting married to the right man is so wonderful!
  #95   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 14:07

Stats: 160/150.5/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 38%

It is very encouraging that everyone is doing so well. I am very happy for you guys and it gives me hope. I've been taking the Hoodia now for a week and no change. I still get low blood sugar if I don't eat at regular intervals and that disconnect with my appetite hasn't occured yet. It hasn't even lessened really. But I'm hoping that since others have said it can take a few weeks for it to really kick in for some folks, that all hope is not lost yet.

Keep sharing your ongoing successes as it helps those of us who aren't there yet.

BTW, Bonnie you are still using the HoodiaHoodia product? That's all I'm using right now.

Jill
  #96   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 14:36

Jill, I am using the hoddiahoodia product, plus occasionally the source Naturals (which I suspect hasn't much active ingredient in it, it's a stem extract 20:1).

I never get a total aversion to food -- I just am able to plan what to eat and then stick to that plan.

Look at this link:http://www.createforum.com/phpbb/?mforum=hoodia Not a whole lot of activity (just about zero!) but there is some good information -- one of the thoughts that I came away with was possibly you might need to raise the amount (i.e., double your intake) until it kicks in. Just a thought....

I hope this ends up working for you!
  #97   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 15:48
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Guys:

I finally got so tired of waiting for my supply from HoodiaHoodia.com that I went to my HFS yesterday and bought some pure Hoodia by Maxion Nutrition.

Those are fantastic results BKM.

Wanda
  #98   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 16:50

BF:

Thanks for the link, Bonnie. I appreciate it!! I'm not giving up yet.....

I'll keep you posted.

Jill
  #99   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 12:08

BF:

Thanks for the link Bonnie. I was reading over some of the information posted and came across something that I thought might be of interest to Jill - How to get Maximum Benefit from Hoodia Capsules.
http://www.createforum.com/phpbb/vi...5&mforum=hoodia

A few years ago I went for couple of colon cleanses at a holistic center. It definitely makes sense what the article is saying.

It's another thing to consider and evaluate. As the article suggests, do some research on natual colon cleansing on the net. There are things you can do in your own home.

Sandra
  #100   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 12:13

BF:

Thanks, Sandra. I have a colon cleanse product already in my bathroom closet. I used it a few years back and it was a good experience, nothing rough. I might try that again if the hoodia doesn't kick in here soon.

Thanks again!
  #101   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 12:57

No weight loss this morning -- which is okay, I'll take it slowly if that's the way my body needs to do it! I've got another pair of courdoroy jeans on -- haven't worn them for quite a while, I was looking like a stuffed sausage in them -- fit nicely now, loose through the thighs with the waist gapping -- hips are still very-much filled out, though LOL!

My eating was right on track -- no cravings, no snacks.... I have noticed that I'm in a heavy ketosis -- I typically was in ketosis during any induction-diet spells, and sometimes during just regular low-carbing -- but right now it's relly dark -- wonder if that has something to do with everything I'm experiencing...
  #102   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 10:54

update

I'm down a bit more (147.75 this morning!). Yesterday was what I considered a challenge for hoodia -- my husband and I went to a big corporate shindig with a free bar, appetizers, and a huge buffet....

Before we left, I took 2 hoodia tabs. Once there, I got a cup of coffee (I was cold!) while my husband had a drink. Didn't eat any appetizers (servers were walking aorund with platters of tiny open-faced sandwiches, etc.).

Then at the buffet, I stuck strictly to what I was hoping to be low carb (at a buffet, you can never be sure of just what is in the salad dressing, if a marinade loaded with sugar was used, etc.) -- I got a small serving of caesar salad, some prime rib, chicken medallions, and (my cheat!) 2 coconut shrimp.

Didn't even finish most of what I took. Then I totally bypassed the desserts table -- the people sitting with us were bringing back plates with little cakes and tarts, chocolate strawberries, chocolate mousse, etc.

Afterwards, I drank a diet Coke (couldn't find a glass of water-- but I sure could have had a liqueur!) -- and I felt a bit too full!

I was worried that my weight might go up a bit (salt content, if nothing else) but it actually dropped a bit from yesterday! I'm still worried about a bounce up, from the extra salt, but won't stress out if it happens.

Anyway, I really think this stuff is working for me!
  #103   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 10:59

BF:

That is just fantastic news, Bonnie! I am so happy for you. You are definitely an inspiration for me. I finally tried drinking the Hoodia (emptied 2 capsules into small glass of water) yesterday. Okay, big YUCK! Knew it would be. But I did notice a very, very slight appetite loss. But it was minute.

Anyway, I have dropped only 1/2 pound total since I started the Hoodia a week and a half ago. It's a bit depressing, but I'll keep trying for another month (can't hurt) until it's time to go off the BC pills.

I'll keep you posted and, again, congrats!!! I'm jealous!
  #104   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 11:49

Smile

Weighed in at 147 this morning -- and I know that lots of people on this forum think you ought not weigh every day -- but I do! I also plot my daily weights, and can easily see trends...

I am currently wearing a skirt that I've not fit for a couple of years -- with a tucked in blouse!

Weekend is coming, I sure hope that this continues for me!
  #105   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-05, 10:13

BF:

Congratulations Bonnie on slipping on the skirt with the shirt tucked in! I actually did the same thing on Thursday. I pulled out a black suit skirt and crossed my fingers I could get it over my hips and I did. Sure it was a bit tight but not too uncomfortable. Having a snug skirt on reminded me through the day to continue to be aware of what was going into my mouth.
Mind you the Hoodia is working from me and I so happy. I recommended to my sweet sister that she try it. I will check-in with her later today to find out how she is doing.
Jill I admire your committment. I know you might be a bit discouraged but 1/2 lb loss is better then 1/2 lb gain! You are going in the right direction.

As of 1 week today I have gone down 2.5 pounds!! 145.5 After being on the Hoodia for a week I now feel confident that I can do this and reach my goal by May - my birthday. I don't want to go into another year not being happy or comfortable with my appearance.

Well Hoodians the week-end is upon us and other challenges. Best of luck to all, and let us stay focused on what we really want and what is going to make a big difference in our lives - feeling comfortable in our own bodies!