Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-20-07, 10:41

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default All you need to know about strength training

I'm always banging on about the importance of strength training to all and sundry, so it was nice to see this article published in the mainstream British media this morning:

All you need to know about strength training

Sam Murphy
Saturday January 20, 2007
The Guardian

What the expert says ...

Anita Bean is a former British Bodybuilding Champion, and author of The Complete Guide To Strength Training.

Select your moves There are countless strength-training moves, so which do you choose? Unless you are training for a specific sport, opt for movements that mimic the ones you use in daily life, as their benefits will carry over more. If time is limited, dispense with isolated moves and stick to multi-muscle lifts such as squats, deadlifts and bench presses.

Always push yourself Puny weights won't work. Even if you don't want to 'build' muscle, you still need to create overload to cause the muscle to get firmer and stronger. As soon as the weight you are using becomes comfortable, progress to a heavier one.

Work the whole body Working one area more than another can cause muscular imbalances - for example, too much chest work and not enough back can cause rounded shoulders. To prevent this, and to create a more balanced look overall, you need to exercise all parts of the body.

Don't train randomly It's best to do large muscle groups first, because smaller muscles tire more quickly. Also do 'compound' moves (those that work multiple muscle groups) before isolation ones. So, for example, you'd work the large quads and glutes before the smaller adductors. And you'd do squats and lunges before isolated adduction or abduction work.

Stick with it I can't emphasise enough that you must be consistent if you want to get results. You need to train two to three times a week for a prolonged period to make progress.

Train with good technique Always take a muscle through its full range of motion at a controlled pace - never swing the weight or use momentum.

Go for free weights You will see faster results because they adjust to your individual build, limb length and any imbalances between sides, whereas a machine will 'support' these. They also build better core stability.

Eat enough protein If you are strength training three or more times a week, you need a more than average protein intake. But you don't have to take supplements: a normal-sized portion at each meal, along with a small amount with your carbohydrate-based post-workout snack, will suffice.

Keep your programme varied Change it regularly to avoid getting in a rut. Every three to four weeks, try different exercises to target the muscle in a new way - for example, an incline bench press instead of a flat one. Experiment with different patterns of repetitions and sets, rest periods and weights.

Getting started

The most obvious place to get to grips with strength training is at a gym. To see what is in your area, check out the Gym Finder on the Fitness Industry Association's website at fia.org.uk, or visit sportsbase.co.uk.

If you prefer one-to-one attention or have special needs or goals, consider a personal trainer. Contact the National Register of Personal Trainers (nrpt.co.uk), or check whether your trainer is on the Register of Exercise Professionals at exerciseregister.org.

If you like the camaraderie of a class, try a group strength training class such as BodyPump, which involves a sequence of strengthening exercises to work the major muscle groups set to music and using barbells with adjustable weight plates. To find your nearest BodyPump class, go to fitpro.com. Alternatively, similar group strength classes are widely available.

Learn about the muscles and perfect your technique with a reputable book. The Complete Guide To Strength Training (A&C Black) is comprehensive and beginner-friendly. One of my female-specific favourites is Lori Incledon's Strength Training For Women (Human Kinetics) Also fascinating, if a little scary (with its rather graphic illustrations), is Strength Training Anatomy, by Frederic Delavier (Human Kinetics).

The gear

Lycra vests are decidedly optional for strength training, although it is helpful to be able to see what you are doing, so don't go for the oversized tracksuit option. Breathable fabrics will help keep you cool.

If it's just strength training you are doing, any decent cross trainer will suffice, but if you are combining it with running on the treadmill it's best to look for one with a 'running profile'.

Training gloves will help you get a good grip, and prevent blisters.

The other thing you'll need - for your own sake and everyone else's - is a towel to wipe down or lay on benches, mats or machines.

If you're thinking of training at home, check out the Physical Company (physical-company.co.uk) for a huge range of dumbbells, barbells, benches, medicine balls and other strength-training equipment. For home gyms and workout stations, try the health club quality range at lifefitness.com.

The upside

Strengthens bones One study found that twice-weekly resistance training for a year increased bone mineral density in the spine by 6.3%, significantly reducing the risk of osteoporosis.

Improves body image Research from McMaster University in Canada found that 12 weeks of strength training improved body image in men and women.

Increases daily energy expenditure Aside from the calories burned during the session itself, a study in Medicine & Science In Sport & Exercise found that metabolic rate remained elevated for two hours after strength training, burning an additional 155 calories.

Reduces heart disease Resistance training can modify several heart disease risk factors, including cholesterol levels, blood pressure, glucose metabolism and body fat, according to the American Heart Association.

Improves body composition Strength training helps you shed body fat and maintain muscle without dieting, according to research published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association.

The downside

Injury risk While dropping a barbell on your rib cage is one hazard, most weight training-related injuries are overuse ones, caused by excessive volume of training or poor technique.

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness This is the post-exercise stiffness and soreness that follows heavy exercise, particularly weight training. It is usually worst two days after the activity, according to journal The Physician and Sportsmedicine.

It won't improve your aerobic fitness While strength training has many health benefits, cardiovascular fitness isn't one of them, so you still need to make time for it elsewhere.

Risk of exposure to anabolic steroids According to US research last year, the number of young people using steroids has increased six-fold in the past decade, as a result of pressures to have the 'perfect' body.

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk...1993495,00.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-20-07, 10:59

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

All good, basic advice..but the cardiovascular fitness is simply wrong. More and more research is coming out and showing aerobics or steady state cardio is inferior to weighltlifting, especially the high intensity varieties.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-20-07, 11:18

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostrydr
All good, basic advice..but the cardiovascular fitness is simply wrong. More and more research is coming out and showing aerobics or steady state cardio is inferior to weighltlifting, especially the high intensity varieties.

Yes, I agree.

However, I'm pleased to see such an article being published, because it does highlight resistance training as a good idea, and will make perhaps persuade newbies, for example, to try it.

Once they do, and become more serious, then they will hopefully learn that cardio is not all it's cracked up to be.

In the meantime, they have to start somewhere (like we all did) and, as you said, it's all good basic advice.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-20-07, 11:39

BF:
Progress:

Demi, if we could just get everyone to use the treadmill less often and lift weights more often, I think people would see some serious body composition changes.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-07, 21:16

Plan: UD 2.0
Stats: 250/200/200 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 100%

nah, their too afraid they'll suddenly start exploding muscle out of every part of their bodies the minute they start squatting or benching.

Some idiot - "I wanna get muscle, but I don't wanna get to big...."

Me - *sigh*

Steady state and HIIT can complement any plan. I often switch back and fourth between both types and can't figure out which one works better for me. I just don't like to get bored. Cardio is just a way to accelerate fat loss or prevent fat gain when trying to build muscle. Its so individual isn't it....?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-07, 09:59

BF:
Progress:

Well alot of research is showing that intense interval wieght training can give you all the cardio that you need! Plus the added benefit of a stronger heart,stronger bones,more muscle and an enhanced immune system.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-07, 12:02

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
"I wanna get muscle, but I don't wanna get to big...."

Quote:

their too afraid they'll suddenly start exploding muscle out of every part of their bodies the minute they start squatting or benching.

I do read where some people seem to have this happen, they don't show pictures, just talk. I'm figuring any muscle is too much for them, and it's a shame that this happens to people who are appalled at muscles. Those of us who appreciate muscles have to work so hard for them. Just doesn't seem fair.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-07, 15:50

Plan: UD 2.0
Stats: 250/200/200 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 100%

yeah, i've never seen a chick go through a serious training and diet program that didn't look better after giving it a chance. There is that initial hypertrophy that can occur than may scare them a bit. I think a lot of times it is just in their head too. They think their arms are getting too big so they decide 5 hours on the elliptical is the obvious remedy.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 21:45

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia

Those of us who appreciate muscles have to work so hard for them.

It is REALLY hard work. I was doing overhead squats earlier today and thinking, dreaming, rather, about never having to workout again...It bugs me ALOT when people (mainly women) think they are going to get huge! they are beginners and not even lifting heavy!! I have a naturally curvy shape and it takes unwavering dedication to get a slightly muscle-y look to my body. A couple of months ago i stopped doing certain lifts so often and changed some things because i was getting a little too big around the shoulders and core for my liking. This is after years of lifting, and months of a really intense workout scheme i was following (my husband's hypertrophy workout, to be exact..not such a good idea, in retrospect)...Not overnight! It was hard work, and i didn't like what i saw in the mirror- so i changed what i was doing...It really bugs me that some females think they are going to morph like that overnight, with little weights...it takes dedication and a lot of planning and thought to get big.

Last edited by lilli : Tue, Feb-06-07 at 21:50.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 21:53

BF:
Progress:

Excellent points lilli..
I can;t tell you how many times women say things like that to me in our discussions. It is hard for men alone to put on good quality muscle and we have the advantage of higher testoserone levels.

I remember the great Albert Beckles a seasoned Mr. Olmpia contender said he busted his butt for a year and put on only 3 lbs of muscle. Of course he had been lifitng for years ,but still it is very hard and you do need to be very dedicated and all your thoughts and efforts must go toward that one goal of putting on muscle..if that is your goal.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-07, 20:57

Plan: Atkins (Induction)
Stats: 352.2/332.6/230 Male 74 inches
BF:43%/40%/10%
Progress: 16%

To drastically lower you injury risk, remember to stretch before and after. Really concentrate on increasing your range of motion and flexibility.
The muscle soreness is an easy one. Lift heavy one day, then lift light the next. I usually do my heavy weights SMWF and some low weight on the off days (not alot, just enough to hit the muscles that are gonna be sore) plus I alternate upper and lower body.
So if i do arms on sunday and legs on monday I'll put a few mintues to target the upper body with some lighter weight, low rep workouts(Mr. Pushup) on monday or tuesday.

Last edited by Takh_Prime : Tue, Feb-27-07 at 21:08.