Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-19, 15:42

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Weight Watchers is getting crushed by keto

Weight Watchers is getting crushed by keto

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/27/inve...keto/index.html

Quote:
(CNN) — Oprah Winfrey famously proclaimed “I love bread!” in a Weight Watchers commercial three years ago. But carbs aren’t cutting it for the company anymore.

Shares of WW — Weight Watchers’ new name — fell more than 33% on Wednesday after the company shocked Wall Street with poor earnings and sales.

CEO Mindy Grossman attributed the problem to the keto diet, a popular eating regimen that makes bread and other carbs taboo. She said during a call with analysts Tuesday that keto is “becoming a cultural mean,” and she even called it a “keto surge.”

Wall Street is clearly nervous, too.

JPMorgan analyst Christina Brathwaite downgraded the stock to “underperform” last week and slashed her price target. One of the reasons? She was worried about competition from rival weight-loss service Diet Doctor, which is a proponent of keto.

The stock slide is also hurting Winfrey, the second-largest shareholder in the company. She bought 6.4 million shares of WW in October 2015 — a stake that at the time was valued at $43 million. At the peak of the stock’s value last July, her investment would have been worth about half a billion dollars, an amount that accounts for a sale she made of some stock last March.

Since that July high, WW stock has lost more than 80% of its value.

Grossman stressed that WW is not going to change its strategy just because there is a new diet plan that’s popular.

“Everybody on the diet side looks for the quick fix. We’ve been through this before and we know that we are the program that works,” Grossman said.

The-CNN-Wire

Weight Watchers Stock Is Getting Walloped Because the Keto Diet Is a Thing
Keto, the increasingly popular high-fat, low-carb diet, is cutting into the company’s business.

https://www.barrons.com/amp/article...iet-51551283915

Quote:
Weight Watchers stock was getting walloped on Wednesday, falling about 35% in morning trading after the Oprah-endorsed company—which is trying to shift its brand from weight loss to wellness—announced poor fourth quarter results and slashed its 2019 guidance on Tuesday.

Keto, the increasingly popular high-fat, low-carb diet, is cutting into the company’s business, chief executive Mindy Grossman said on the company’s conference call with analysts.

“We have a keto surge,” she said. “It’s a meme, it’s not like a company, it’s people have keto donuts, and everybody on the diet side look for the quick fix. We’ve been through this before, and we know that we are the program that works.”

Weight Watchers stock (WTW) was down more than 33% in late-morning trading, to $19.83 per share.

What’s new. The company said Tuesday after the market closed that it had earned $0.46 per share and brought in $1.4 billion in revenue in the fourth quarter. That was far below analysts estimates of $0.60 in earnings per share and $1.66 billion in revenue, according to Refinitiv.

And perhaps the worst news was the company’s guidance. Weight Watchers said it expects to earn between $1.25 and $1.50 per share this year, far below analyst estimates of $3.50. That bleak outlook sent the stock tumbling almost 30% in a little over a half-an-hour of after hours trading.

The company’s fourth quarter ended in December, and Weight Watchers’ traditionally strong start to the calendar year during New Year’s resolution season makes the low guidance particularly harsh.

Several analysts followed the negative news by downgrading Weight Watchers stock. Oppenheimer’s Brian Nagel downgraded the stock from outperform to perform, citing the weak fourth quarter results and the company’s “decidedly downbeat initial 2019 outlook, predicated on weak recruitment growth to start the year.”

Key Bank’s Edward Yruma said that for Weight Watchers, “there’s no coming back from a weak January,” and that he was downgrading the stock to sector weight. D.A. Davidson’s Linda Bolton-Weiser said the results were “even worse than feared,” and that she was cutting her rating to neutral from buy.

JPMorgan’s Christina Brathwaite reiterated her underweight rating and said Weight Watchers stock was now her top short idea. Brathwaite’s price target of $14 per share is about 28% below the stock’s current level.

The back story. Weight Watchers has been an extremely volatile stock in the last couple of years. It ran up more than 500% between the March 2017 and July 2018, then dropped more than 60% to its current levels.

In October 2015, when Oprah Winfrey announced that she had taken a 10% stake in the company, the stock more than doubled over the course of a few days.

Moving forward. Expect more Oprah in 2019, Davidson’s Bolton-Weiser predicts. The star’s endorsement is a huge asset to the company and Bolton-Weiser wrote that Oprah will be more prominent in the company’s ads over the coming month.

There’s also execution. Management has lowered the bar significantly for first quarter results, and the question is now whether they’ll clear it or if things will soften even more.

Write to Ben Walsh at ben.walsh~barrons.com

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Feb-27-19 at 16:48.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-19, 16:02

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
it’s people have keto donuts

What is a Keto Donut?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-19, 16:41
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Default Weight watchers ditching dieting?

Breaking News:
Quote:
Weight Watchers shares crater 29 percent on weak fourth-quarter earnings results and 2019 forecast.
Let me guess why. It doesn't work?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/27/inve...keto/index.html

https://www.barchart.com/stocks/quotes/WTW/opinion

http://thestockmarketwatch.com/stock/?stock=WTW

https://www.benzinga.com/analyst-ra...rs-after-guidan

Did they not get the memo?

https://walletinvestor.com/stock-fo...tock-prediction

Last edited by mike_d : Wed, Feb-27-19 at 16:59.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-19, 16:46

"It’s a meme, it’s not like a company" [which is better than the first journalist who wrote 'mean' ].
But that makes it so much much worse, Mindy. It is not just another NutriSystem, but a way of eating using real foods that works. Everything a person needs to be successful on DietDoctor is free, the membership for extra content is an option.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Feb-28-19 at 03:59.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-19, 16:47

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
What is a Keto Donut?

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipe...ur-keto-donuts/
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-19, 17:42
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Yeah, glad I don't have any skin in that stock. Then again -- a buying opportunity?

Last edited by mike_d : Wed, Feb-27-19 at 18:02.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-19, 17:47

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Instead of bothering with a recipe, I prefer donut holes, which are naturally keto.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-19, 18:20
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Yeah, glad I don't have any skin in that stock. Then again -- a buying opportunity?

I'm buying. What's the stock symbol for keto?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-19, 00:38

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
JPMorgan analyst Christina Brathwaite downgraded the stock to “underperform” last week and slashed her price target. One of the reasons? She was worried about competition from rival weight-loss service Diet Doctor, which is a proponent of keto.

This is actually seriously impressive, that DD is reaching the point where it's impacting on other organisations of the scale of WW.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-19, 07:59

Andreas's response:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/is-weigh...crushed-by-keto

Quote:
According to CNN, Weight Watchers is “getting crushed by keto”.

A surprisingly poor quarter led Weight Watchers’ CEO Mindy Grossman to mention a “keto surge” as one of the company’s challenges in her call with Wall Street analysts.

In the aftermath of reporting poor earnings and sales, the weight-loss company’s stock plunged more than 33 percent on Wednesday. In less than a year, the stock has lost more than 80 percent of its value.

CNN Business: Weight Watchers is getting crushed by keto

CNN reports that a “rival weight-loss service” called Diet Doctor is a challenging competitor to Weight Watchers:

To be clear, we don’t see ourselves as a “weight-loss service”. We are a health company. We give inspiration and tools to dramatically improve people’s metabolic health. Significant weight loss is often a side effect of that, and losing significant excess weight can often improve health and wellbeing. But our primary focus is on health, not weight loss.

That said, we’re still encouraged by the fact that our service and website – despite zero paid advertising – is rapidly catching up to Weight Watcher’s in traffic.1 We see this as the result of the scientifically proven effectiveness of a keto diet to help reverse type 2 diabetes, improve metabolic health, and enable some people to lose meaningful amounts of weight without hunger.2

Results matter, and people vote with their feet. We are grateful to be in a position to make low-carb and keto diets simple to understand and sustain, and to be able to provide everything that people need for free.3

Completely agree with bolded. The WW CEO doesn't get what DietDoctor and Keto means, their business model and diet don't work anymore.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-19, 08:14

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
everybody on the diet side look for the quick fix. We’ve been through this before, and we know that we are the program that works
This sort of arrogance is mindblowing. Where are the statistics that show people keep off their WW weight longer than their Keto weight? I've never known anyone who did weight watchers who permanently kept their weight off. I'm sure they're out there, I just don't personally know them. What I do know is lots of people, including myself, have completely changed the way they eat thanks to low carb. Even our corner pizzeria now sells bunless cheesesteaks on a plate. Keto's not going anywhere. If the CEO of WW thinks it's a flash in the pan, she needs to go. Or maybe she should just come to Philadelphia and see that the cheesesteak guys are accommodating a keto crowd - those local joints never bothered to put WW points up on the menu.

And unless Oprah drops some weight, I don't think they should be putting her front and center on their ads.

eta: Just realized that Gosh! I'm cranky this morning.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-19, 08:47

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

You're fine, Tess. We like clear-headed thinking around here.

I'm old. I did WW when it was a novelty. Let's see? 1970s? I remember making some sort of "pie" with cottage cheese and ritz crackers and unflavored gelatin. I remember eating water-pack canned tuna straight from the can several times a week, as ordered--heaven help you to think about mayonnaise! I have an aversion to tuna to this day, even though (with a little curried mayo) it's delicious.

WW will eventually buy into the "meme" and call some aspect of its program Keto.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-19, 10:48

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

So I've been reading the financial websites. Here's what the CEO said in her earnings call, ""In addition, given the particularly competitive winter diet environment, the campaign did not drive recruitment of our significant universe of lapsed members," she said." https://www.fool.com/investing/2019...tors-to-kn.aspx

Also, I read on another financial website that they stated that they've got a new diet in the works to be rolled out later this year. Keto? I don't know. It didn't specify. Either way, I'm glad I don't own weight watchers stock. For the sake of the employees, I hope they get into low carb packaged food in a big way. I think, other than protein bars, it's not a crowded landscape. But, as I stated in another post, Conagra and B&G foods have already stated that they're chasing that rainbow so, unless WW can have some quick keto friendly rollouts, that might not be their silver bullet either.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-19, 11:36

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Someone is thinking of a "meme" as a passing fad. Richard Dawkins coined the phrase to describe the natural selection of ideas, a strong meme can propagate for thousands of years. With various alterations to make it more appealing. We have Atkins, paleo, carnivore, zero carb, keto, etc., all of these have a common ancestry. Paleo followers deny this sometimes but you need an extremely short memory, and zero search engine skills, to avoid knowing that the modern Paleo(tm) diet started out low carb. And then there's the ridiculous situation where people sometimes vilify Atkins, or at least ghettoize it as being for overweight middle-aged folk, while eating pretty much exactly the way Dr. Atkins would have wanted.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-19, 12:10

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
To be clear, we don’t see ourselves as a “weight-loss service”. We are a health company. We give inspiration and tools to dramatically improve people’s metabolic health. Significant weight loss is often a side effect of that, and losing significant excess weight can often improve health and wellbeing. But our primary focus is on health, not weight loss.
Weight Watchers basically claims the same thing. ("We inspire healthy habits for real life.") While I appreciate that DD focuses on keto/LC and they have some good information, they're ultimately a very similar company. And they may not have any "paid" advertising, but I can barely turn around on any LC/keto forums without someone shilling for them. It's so pervasive that I'm pretty sure that some of these people must be receiving compensation of some kind (like free memberships, etc.). It's not as subtle as they think and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth (and not the kind you get from ketosis )