Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 11:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%
Default Is anyone else afraid ....

of gaining back their excess weight?

I am somewhat paranoid about this -- I lost weight (in 1994 I weighed around 190-200#, got down to perhaps 120#), then maintained until around 2000 -- then the pounds sort of crept up on me (this January I hit 160#). Our basic eating pattern was low carb, I would do induction regularly, would test positive for ketosis, etc., etc. -- but still the weight kept creeping up.

Now I'm back down to where I want to be and I don't ever, ever want to gain that weight back! But I'm really scared that I will.... I used a supplement (hoodia) that really kicked in, and I have 2 bottles "in reserve" just in case I need them -- but still, I can't get over the worry. To the point that I don't deviate one bit from my eating plan (for example, out break room at work has a huge pile of cut up fruits -- looks good, but no, thanks.....).

How did anyone finally come to terms with this -- and how do you make sure that you don't regain??????

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 13:28

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I did....in 2002, on January 2 nd I decided at 200 lbs that I wasn't going to to keep getting bigger, so I started a low-fat diet.

By June I was 160 and by October I reached my goal of 145, the lowest in years. I was really scared too of regaining.

Of course, I moved to Calgary 4 months after and had a break up, and many other stressful life changes that I didn't prepare myself for. Before I knew it, POOF! Back up to 200 lbs.

My advice is to keep your head up and watch for warning signs that you might be slipping in your healthy lc eating. I know this time around I refuse to just let my eating get out of control like it already has twice
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 17:02

Stats: 212/174/155 Female 5'11"
BF:size 18/12-14/8
Progress: 67%

Honestly, no, I'm not afraid of gaining the weight back...that scares me. It scares me because I'm afraid I might get too cocky.

The reason I'm not afraid of gaining is because I trust the Atkins plan and I trust that I have taught myself the proper way to do it and have that knowledge behind me to keep the weight off.

I know the tools that are needed to drop a 5 lb gain. I know not to let myself go past that 5 lbs. I also know not to let things go spiralling out of control.

Again, I'm afraid of the cockyness that goes along with me "knowing" what I need to do but "knowing" is working fabulously for me now.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 19:13

Plan: Nourishingtrad.& Pilates!
Stats: 190/140/140 Female 5'10
BF:14/size2/size2
Progress: 100%

The key for me in the past when I was at my goal (before having children) was to weigh myself every morning. Sounds lke a lot, but it kept me honest and I could take action immediately. If I was up a pound, I would cut back the very next dy and if I was down a pound, I would eat the same as usual with an extra snack or two. Some people have the ability to know when they are up a bit. But, I have trouble with that and I need instead to see the numbers.

Right now I can't bear to weigh myself more than once or twice a week. But I hope that when I get to my goal I will be back to daily weigh-ins.

Also- I agree with what was said about saying within 5 lbs. of your goal weight. I just chose to keep it a little closer than that (especially considering how much longer it taks to get the last 5-10 lbs. off).
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 19:31

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Bonnie,

What was it that caused the weight to come back? What in your diet and/or lifestyle did not change to get the weight to disappear again?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 20:16

Stats: 232/137/150 Male 6 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

havent you guys learned that it's not all about lbs. Muscle gain will affect the scales. I think that size of pants and would be more appropriate.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 08:30

Mike: the "change" in my life (when I began regaining the weight) was getting married (2nd time, at age 54) -- I would guess I was just too happy and comfortable -- plus my husband has never had a weight problem, so we snacked quite a bit. Also, during this time frame, I was put on HRT -- saw my weight go up almost instantly (but my doctor said it was "all in my head") -- even after quitting the med, I retained that 10 pounds....

This time (for the weight loss), I decided that I was likely eating too much, albeit still eating well. I had tried induction levels any number of times (no weight loss), checking ketosis (typically I'm in it, but no weight loss), various supplements (OoO, coconut oil, l-carnitine, etc. - no weight loss). Then, along with my notion that I needed to eat less (forget the calories/body weight, I think you have to listen to your own body!), I started hoodia (a natural appetite suppressant) and carefully planned my meals -- keeping calories low, fat reasonable, protein adequate, and carbs very low. I cut out all snacking (nuts, cheese). I ate about 1000 calories per day - which seems to be adequate for me. I think your caloric requirements lessen with age (I'm 60), and since I also exercise each and every day (weights/aerobic/LL breathing/etc. -- I've worked up a routine that fits me) for at least 45 minutes, I wasn't overly worried about "losing" muscle.

And it worked. I'm at 130 (I'm 5' 7", and at my age, that's low enough). And I feel so much better, have become much more limber, etc., etc.

My husband and I plan to retire to the gulf coast (Florida) in a year and a half -- and I really wanted this weight off! Shorts/bathing suits, swimming, golf, biking, walking the beach -- all the activities that we enjoy -- they're so much easier when slender!!!!!

besoge: While the fit of clothes is certainly an indicator, it takes me a good 10 pounds to see a difference.... And winter clothes are more forgiving than summer ones... The scale works for me because I refuse to let my weight creep up to 131, an increase that I wouldn't see in how my clothes fit. That extra pound may just be water weight, but I don't think it will hurt to tackle it the very next day. For example, I went out to lunch Monday (PFChangs -- had a clear soup with meatballs/shrimp, and lettuce wraps) -- Tuesday morning I was up to 130.75 . I had a strong suspicion that it was salt, but still, I carefully watched my eating for the next few days -- and today I'm 129.75. My clothes fit quite the same throughout the past few days. I'm afraid that if I wait until I notice a fit problem, I'll have a much longer/harder time getting the weight back off.

Also, I doubt that I'll ever add the kind of muscle that makes you weigh significantly more but still be slender, I think that you would need to be really intense about exercise -- and my exercising mainly targets limberness, rather than strength (though I do some strength-training, just not what a body builder would do).
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 08:37

One more note on maintaining this weight -- we're going on a trip towards the end of this month -- to visit my husband's family.

We'll be driving 2 days going and 2 days coming back -- obviously no scales! -- so I've bought a cannister of a protein shake, which can be mixed with water -- I figure that will get me through breakfast (my husband really likes McDonald's breakfasts.....). And I plan to make every restaurant meal a large salad, with a piece of meat on the side.

Last time I visited my husband's family, one of his SILs gave me some brocolli salad, very tasty -- then told me (gleefully!) that she had loaded it with white sugar! This is the type of food that I really have to be vigilant about!]

Any hints/tips that others have found works for them?????