Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 11:15
Contributing Member

Plan: Protein Power (loosly)
Stats: 165/158/158 Female 5'8"
BF:I don't know
Progress: 100%

Thanks, I will look for it.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 12:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 163/146/140 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

joizienew

If you are prepared to give me yr postal address, (perhaps on the buddy thing that I am not sure how it works) I will send a couple of unused tubs of natural progestrogine cream I havn't needed. I know what not having health insurance is like... didnt have for the first ten years that I was in this country... had to go back to the UK if I got really sick... anyway let me know if you are interested
  #153   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 12:18

BF:

Heh Nance

off to try & find the 'elder's lounge, sounds like it should be fun. if you dont see a posting it means I got lost on the hyper highway... us oldies, you know!!!!
  #154   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 15:02
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 186/171/138 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Just found this forum

Hi! I'm 54 and glad to have found this forum. This is my second time to follow a low carb woe. So far the experience has been positive.
  #155   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 01:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/230/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

1, 2, 3, What are we fighting for? Yep, I remember Country Joe and the Fish! I am 53, in fact, It is 2:07 in the morning here and I just turned 53 a couple of hours ago. I am a bag of hormones with a hair sticking out the top! Look out, here comes another hot flash!

I started Atkins on 3/24/03. I had been on it in the 70s but decided I would give it another try. My weight came from years of skipping breakfast and lunch, then having a reasonable dinner, but still gaining weight. Metabolism Mayhem!

I used to drink a lot of coffee and diet cokes. I have traded that for 5 quarts of water a day or more. Some Iced Tea and a cup of decaf on occasion.

I am so depressed about my weight loss, or lack thereof. I lost about 20 pounds in the first three months of induction. I weighed once a week and the scales fluxuated wildly up and down. Then I started weighin every day for a while and was so shocked, I have put the scales in the basement and hope they don't find their way back up stairs. For several weeks, I would go down to 210 and then back up to 237 overnight. All I had eaten was the induction food and I was watching my calories as well.

I am stumped because I have been so faithful to the diet. I don't have cravings and my worse problem is just making myself eat. I just don't want any food at all, but I open another can of tuna, have another boiled eat or a bit of salad and try to make myself get all my food in several tiny meals a day.

I bought some Ketosis strips a month ago due to my depression about the not losing weight thingy. What do you know? I am never in Ketosis!

I talked to Atkins Center and they advised me to try the "Fat Fast". Lots of people thing that is a bad idea, but I faithfully had 1/4 avocado with a teaspoon of mayo and a teaspoon of tuna four times a day and a deviled egg in the mornings. I didn't lose an ounce. I didn't go into ketosis.

I keep thinking I am being visited by plagues or something. I really just came here looking for solace from all of use "Maxine" types! PLEASE encourage me! LoL Goodnight
  #156   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 08:51

Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyda Rose

I don't have cravings and my worse problem is just making myself eat. I just don't want any food at all, but I open another can of tuna, have another boiled eat or a bit of salad and try to make myself get all my food in several tiny meals a day.

I talked to Atkins Center and they advised me to try the "Fat Fast". Lots of people thing that is a bad idea, but I faithfully had 1/4 avocado with a teaspoon of mayo and a teaspoon of tuna four times a day and a deviled egg in the mornings. I didn't lose an ounce. I didn't go into ketosis.

I keep thinking I am being visited by plagues or something. I really just came here looking for solace from all of use "Maxine" types! PLEASE encourage me! LoL Goodnight

It sounds to me as if possibly you're not eating enough food. If I had 1/4 avocado w/mayo and a teaspoon of tuna 4 times a day and a deviled egg, my metabolism would come to a screeching halt! I used to skip breakfast and lunch and eat a reasonable dinner, too (before Atkins), and I kept gaining weight. It wasn't until I added more calories that I started losing. We have NO metabolism at our age anyway (I'll be 59 in a week), so we don't want to allow our bodies to think we're starving, or they'll quit burning fat entirely!

Now everyone is different, so this not be your situation; I'm just speaking for myself here. Are you under Doctor's care? Are you taking a lot or any prescription drugs? Drugs, such as; diabetes, anti-depressants, HRT, high blood pressure, etc., all play a part in making it very difficult to burn fat!

Other than that, I'm at a loss as to why you're not losing and why you're not in ketosis. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Just don't give up. Someone will have an answer for you, I'm sure.

Good Luck!
  #157   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 10:09

BF:
Progress:

Hi Morgan, thanks for your kind words. It is just nice to know that there are others who are in the same place with this diet.

No, I am on no medication whatsoever, just vitamins, minerals (love that Potassium - stops those leg cramps!) and Glucosimine/Condroitin to make sure my knees and joints keep working.

I have emailed the Atkins people a lot and they were the ones who encouraged me to try that fat fast. I said that it didn't help and it didn't help me lose weight, but it sure did one thing for me - I made me sooooo Happy to be back on induction which was like a dream to me after being on that Fat Fast!

Yes, I am under a Doctor's care. I have had a complete blood workup. One of the main reasons I chose Atkins was that my Mother and Grandmother both have diabetes. I don't want to have to deal with that, so I opted for eating right now and making it a life time thing before I get diabetes and have to do it because of that.

Atkins assures me that although Exercise is really great and recommended, the Atkins plan should work whether you exercise or not. You might lose weight and not be toned, but you WILL lose weight.

I am just hoping that my back injury will get better and allow me to do more than just lurching around behind a shopping cart and sitting on my rump at the office.

Thanks so much for your reply. Hold a kind thoght for me and my thighs - I don't want them to catch afire from rubbing together one day while I am hiking up the stairs!
)
  #158   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 08:01

BF:

Hi Lydia

I am in much the same place as you. I'm 56, totally with out any metobolsm, and eating no more than 20 carbs a day. How much weight loss in the last three months? Zero! Zip! Zilch! SO, I am now trying to eat more, (loads of calories) as has been sugested. This is quite difficult, as I am not really hungry, but will give it a go. From what I can gather and looking at your statistics, you will probably have to eat well 2000 cals a day, which sounds a hell of a lot to me, but if it works... who cares!!! Try it and let me know how it goes... I will keep you posted on my progress or lack there of.
Keep smiling!!
  #159   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 08:45

BF:
Progress:

Hi Chris, Thanks for the reply. I really take heart when I read that I am not the one and only person in the Universe who is not losing weight. I keep telling my doctor that something terrible must be wrong with me that I can not lose weight on this program!

I guess it is my own fault that I have shot my metabolism completely down to zero. I have spent much of the past 20 years practically starving only to see the scales climb. I am just now coming to terms with the fact that the less I eat, the more likely I am to gain weight. Seems crazy, but I understand the principles behind it.

I gave in and weighed this morning. I am still stuck at the 10 pound weight loss over the past 5 months. Back when I started this diet on March 24, I had plans for being down at least 50 pounds by my birthday, which was yesterday.

So, only 20 pounds off and to make it worse, no a single soul remembered my birthday. I never even mentioned it. I was just feeling like a victim yesterday! hahahaha Poor me!

I am upping my calories as of today. I had two slices of Canadian Bacon, 2 scrambled eggs and 1/2 a broiled tomato for breakfast. It had to force myself to eat it but eat it I did. I can not imagine getting 2000 calories in one day, but I am keeping a journal in my Day Planner and counting calories as well as carbs.

Please keep me posted on your progress. I am so interested in seeing if we can find some mutual ground that will get those scales to moving downward. I keep waiting for that "big swoosh" that everyone talks about where you just wake up one morning 10 lbs. thinner.

Are you exercising?? Let me hear from you and thanks again,
  #160   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 10:09
Contributing Member

Plan: Protein Power (loosly)
Stats: 165/158/158 Female 5'8"
BF:I don't know
Progress: 100%

Welcome Lyda, Hey, what did you get yourself for your birthday? I finally figured that one out, now I get excited about my birthdays, cause I take me out and we have fun, me, myself and I do some shopping along with making myself a 'card'. My kids usualy remember my birthday about a month after it passes, then they call and say, "sorry I missed your birthday" Gotta love them though...Well, anyway, I'm stuck without a pound lost in over a month. I am getting serious this week though, I need to lose at least one or two... Hang in there
  #161   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 10:27

BF:
Progress:

Hey Joyce, I'm just down here in Birmingham! Look out your window and wave at me!

Thanks for the "forgotten birthday" hints. This is the first time this happened to me, but in all fairness, I did get a card today from my best friend from college and one from an old friend who is out in Houston. Wonder how long I should wait before I tell my husband he forgot me birthday? I need to get the maximum effect! LOL!

The only thing I want for my birthday is to lose 10 pounds. That would give me the power to continue another 5 months. I mean , 10 pounds in five months is very sad, but if I could say I had 20 pounds gone, I would be very chipper about it.

I guess it's never too early to start planning for Christmas. I am planning on losing that 10 pounds by Christmas. Keep your fingers crossed that we find some "METABOLISM IN A JAR". I'll send you some if I find it. )
  #162   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 10:56

BF:

Heh Lydia

HAPPY BIRTHDAY for yesterday.

Apart from the days between the 8/28 and 9/2 ( I'm off to Mexico) I will stay in touch on a just about daily basis, we both half that rotten 10lb to lose and we WLL NOT give up. This, for me, is war, my body wants to hold and want to lose it... well, guess what you and I will win. One thing, keep me posted on what you eat, so I can get some inspiration. I had 2 eggs and a brat sausage for breakfast. oh! and a small slice of water melon. I do loads of exercise. weight lifting and aerobics 5 days a week. planning a caeser salad for lunch and will do Sashimi for dinner.
  #163   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 11:40

BF:
Progress:

Chris, You are an inspiration! All that exercise! I broke my ankle some months ago and even though it is well now, I wore a cast for so long I have compensation injuries with my back that I am working on now. Exercise for me mostly walking, er, make that lurching about, but my doctor says I should be much better in a month. Then I can join you in the exercise!

Thanks for the belated birthday greeting, too!

I will update you on the food thing. I am having one of my "Standards" for lunch in about an hour - Chunk tuna, mayo, Old Bay Seasoning, chopped Jalepenos, chopped baby dills, 1/2 cup cherry berry tomatoes on a cup of spring salad mix. I usually have a few pork rinds with this, too and an iced tea with Splenda.

I am going on vacation, too! I will be in Edinburgh, Scotland for a week and then two weeks on the Island of Madeira - a Portuguese Island about 350 miles off the coast of Tunisia, Africa.

It is paradise in Madeira! I was there last summer. It is the perfect place for the low carber if you can just ignore all that lovely fruit. The cuisine of the island is lots and lots of wonderful seafood, beef, pork, lamb and chicken, lots of salad. I am going to do something I have never done on this 5 month journey while I am in Madeira - that is enjoy a glass of red wine with dinner. I know that it is allowed on Lifetime Maintenance, but I have denied myself this pleasure so far since I have spent 5 months on induction; however in Madeira, I am going to indulge in a glass or two every night! Life on the Wild Side, eh? LOL.

Nice to have you to talk to! Glad I came here. Keep in touch.
  #164   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 13:24

BF:

Lydia

Your vacation sounds awsome. I lived 17yrs in the UK so got all round the continent etc but especially love Scotland.. I was back there last year. I am only off to Mexico for the labor weekend ples a couple of extra days, but off to see my son in London in November and Egypt in February... love travelling dont you? By the way... drink the wine and enjoy, it dosnt stop weight loss.. and is sooo good for you! lifes for living. What part of the US are you from? I think I saw Birmingham, but being a New Zealander myself.. thought that was in the UK. LOL
  #165   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 14:07

Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyda Rose
I know that it is allowed on Lifetime Maintenance, but I have denied myself this pleasure so far since I have spent 5 months on induction; however in Madeira, I am going to indulge in a glass or two every night! Life on the Wild Side, eh? LOL.

I also enjoy a glass of wine a couple times a week. Unfortunately, your body burns alcohol BEFORE it burns fat, so as long as there is alcohol in your system, you'll stop burning fat. But, oh well, nobody is perfect and I'm not going to give up all my pleasures. Have fun on your trip!