Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-15, 11:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default ADA asks "What was your most recent BG reading?" and get an earful on LC diets.

Low Carb and Dr. Bernstein, Dr. Westman and TypeOneGrit get a lot of love in the answers!

https://www.facebook.com/AmericanDi...ciation?fref=nf (Sept 16th, 8:30am)

Even a Market Ticker writer piles in on the ADA...

Quote:
The ADA Scam Blows Up In Their Face

There may be a valid purpose to social media after all.

The American Diabetes Association, which promotes a diet rich in carbohydrates for diabetics, "chasing" same with insulin and other drugs up and down on a daily basis, recently asked people to post their most-recent blood glucose numbers.

I doubt they expected what they got.

The comments are an utter and complete destruction of the ADA. While the plural of anecdote is not "data" what is in their comment stream strongly suggests that the ADA ought to be investigated for intentional harm to people that they allegedly claim to "help."

In short those who are claiming solid baseline and consistent 24 hour blood glucose control are almost to an individual also stating that they have completely discarded the ruinously bad ADA recommendations for diet and instead are eating high fat, low carb, moderate protein.

What's worse is that the people posting bad numbers are all eating the "recommended" diet, more or less, and that diet fails to work. The only good news is that some of them are being educated -- but the question ought to be why their doctors are not educating them and instead are chasing their results with more drugs and shots.

The entire medical establishment, in short, promotes eating a diet that results in both much higher drug use and fails to control A1c and instant blood sugar at the same time. The result is all of the complications of diabetes at a materially higher rate than would otherwise be the case and billions of spending on said drugs that otherwise would not need to be consumed as well as outrageous morbidity and all the medical interventions that come with it (e.g. blindness, limb amputations, etc.)

That eating low-carb, high-fat, moderate protein is effective in controlling blood sugar in diabetics, in many cases to the point of removing all need for both drugs and supplemental insulin for Type 2 and dramatically reducing insulin requirements for Type 1 patients, has been known since long before drugs to treat diabetes were invented.

That's because prior to the pharmaceutical company bonanza with this disease if you didn't eat this way you would die with certainty, and probably quite quickly too.

Yet despite this known fact (for a time period now coming up on a century), despite the known fact that there is no dietary requirement found in carbohydrate-rich foods (that is, there is no need for them in the human body) the ADA and virtually the entire damned medical establishment continues to tell people afflicted with this condition that they ought to eat foods that do direct, known, documented and material harm to their blood glucose stability and then chase same with drugs.

Never mind the point that for Type 2 diabetics not only may this mode of eating control the disease (while at the same time causing them to lose the extra weight that is probably part of their condition) many of them may not have developed diabetes at all!

Diabetes is the 7th leading cause of death in the United States, afflicting roughly 9% of the US population and killing nearly 70,000 a year in the United States alone. Worse, many other deaths (e.g. heart disease) are probably contributed to by diabetes but the other condition gets the blame on the death certificate, so the toll is likely materially higher than reported.

I have just one question in light of the above: How does this not constitute intentional malpractice and in fact a recommendation, in diabetics, that they literally poison themselves and then take an "antidote" -- all inuring to the profit of both the physicians who wind up treating the results and the pharmaceutical industry?

And, by the way, where are the damned cops -- and handcuffs -- to slap on both the doctors and everyone else in the medical and pharmaceutical industry involved in this crap?

How many people have we shoved in the hole with their ruinous "recommendations" and how many billions of dollars have those in this industry siphoned off from these people who have suffered unnecessarily?

https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=230675

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Sep-18-15 at 13:37.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-15, 15:02
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 144/140/125 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

Thanks for the link. I tried to read through the replies for the ADA's response but couldn't find one. It is so irresponsible for them not to deal with this! Maybe some people struggling with the ADA diet will at least have their eyes opened by all of these posts of LCHF success and will be motivated to give it a try.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-15, 15:23

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks, Janet. The ADA principals sit in a tight circle holding hands hoping this will go away quickly. Others might find out that there's a fraud behind the curtain after all. It might even disrupt the support from pharma, food, and soft drink manufacturers.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-15, 15:52
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wow... I only scanned briefly through the FB replies, but it's amazing. I wonder if a Dr Bernstein forum or FB group somewhere 'raided' that post. Good for them. Spread the word. If it saves even one life...
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-15, 17:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary
Thanks for the link. I tried to read through the replies for the ADA's response but couldn't find one. It is so irresponsible for them not to deal with this! Maybe some people struggling with the ADA diet will at least have their eyes opened by all of these posts of LCHF success and will be motivated to give it a try.

I dont know how to link specific FB posts and their replies, but this fellow has had 69 replies inc one from ADA:

Patrick Dunigan 385 Getting worse even with insulin. The stress of life is literally killing me from the inside out. Being a Type 1 diabetic and progressing negatively each day at only age 26
September 16 at 12:41pm · Edited

American Diabetes Association Good advice from the community Patrick but you should always follow your own doctor's medical advice. If you'd like you can also call 1-800-DIABETES for information on state-by-state health insurance.

Scanning the 700 posts, besides many Dr. B. videos and articles, Dr Fung's Two Biggest Lies and Dr. Hallberg's Reversing T2 Diabetes videos were put in the responses also.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Sep-18-15 at 17:36.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-15, 19:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Crowdsourcing truth to the power that is the ADA. Gotta love it!

I feel so badly for that young man, though. With such sky-high BS, no wonder he's overwhelmed by all the responses--those spikes and sustained high BS is bad for your brain.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-18-15, 22:56

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

#8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 03:15

Plan: IF, LCHF
Stats: 175/110/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 130%

Fascinating

I keep wondering, why did the ADA ask for this kind of feedback? Are they startled by the vociferous responses? Are they going to consider said responses? And, maybe, use them?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 04:01

After two days of LC responses, a woman wrote this:

Kristin Mendez I'm allergic to nuts and shellfish. I don't like a lot of meat. Is there any other protein out there. What do you think about protein shakes? I'm really needing advice! My state sucks when it comes to diabetes care. I want to do much better!
September 17 at 1:25am

The ADA responded at 6:30pm after she had much LC advice all day:
American Diabetes Association Kristin other protein options include: Beans and lentils, whole eggs cooked with minimal fat, egg whites and egg substitutes, reduced-fat cheese and cottage cheese, and Hummus. The "Create Your Plate" method can help you with meal planning too: http://www.diabetes.org/.../plannin...ate-your-plate/.

Well, that only set off another firestorm of responses to not add beans, lentils, nor reduced fat anything. The ADA is not directly answering the criticism, but are trying to hang in there.

Though I didn't see any responses for Sept 18...maybe they leave the office early on Friday? Headed to a "diabetes walk" this weekend? That is so useful

If so, now that the Wheat Belly members are adding their experiences, their PR dept will have a mess when returning on Monday. A few posts are highly critical of the ADA as a "charity", what they do with their $, not offer a free meal plan? Etc.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Sep-19-15 at 04:15.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 06:28

Plan: IF, LCHF
Stats: 175/110/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 130%

Janet, all the comments I see are from the 16th. How are you seeing new comments? (And how many are there now? This is fun.)
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 07:44

Wondering the same thing. I can only get to the bottom of the thread with the young man, Patrick, with the out of control BS.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 08:19

Clearly I know squat about sharing FB pages.

Try this link from the Wheat Belly FB page, ADA post up to 744 replies:

https://www.facebook.com/AmericanDi...8374033?fref=nf

Right now, there are two diabetes stories at the top of the Wheat Belly Facebook page, which I read every day. Amazing success stories and his staff knows how to link properly :

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialWheatBelly/timeline/
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 11:46

Thanks, Janet. For some reason, the second time I linked through your original link, the further posts started popping up. I haven't gotten that far, though. It's so fascinating it's a MAJOR time suck, and I have stuff to do!

So many people asking about lawsuits. Are they unaware of class action? The first step is to take a first step: contact a personal injury attorney, and ask questions. The parents of kids who were adversely affected by the ADA guidelines would be perfect to be the lead claimants!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 13:45

Plan: Atkins 72'
Stats: 329.4/254.0/179.4 Female 5'10"
BF:hmm..too much ;)
Progress: 50%

Thank you Janet. I am going to share this on a couple of forums I'm on. The ADA is so reckless by not recognizing the self-healing, that Low Carb offers diabetics. Instead they promote the carb-laden diet, that ultimately leads to failure if followed as directed.
My A1C was 10.4 on 7/10 and my daily blood sugar reading was 255. Since turning to Low Carb my blood sugar readings on most days are less than 100, and a lot of days in the 80's. The highest since Aug 1st was 110. I have also lost 37 lbs. I get re-tested for my A1C in Oct. I can't wait to see the results.
When are the Dr.s , ADA, and so-called nutritionists, going to stop labeling low carb as a "fad" diet and pushing high carb diets, and expensive meds on the uninformed Type II diabetics?
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 14:23
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 144/140/125 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamoney
When are the Dr.s , ADA, and so-called nutritionists, going to stop labeling low carb as a "fad" diet and pushing high carb diets, and expensive meds on the uninformed Type II diabetics?
I work in the field and do not think it will change as long as the money sources have a vested interest in the status quo, which they certainly do!

What makes all of this even more alarming is that most T2Ds don't even know they have a problem.