Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 04:05

Plan: Keto/Phinney18
Stats: 269/265/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:Way/TOO/Much
Progress: 3%
Default Fasting BG creeping up

I have been LC/Keto for the past 2 weeks and have noticed my BG creeping up when I take my am reading. I am not diabetic but started monitoring my BG because I have always had blood sugar swings since I can remember. I understand this can happen when VLC. Does it level out? should I be concerned. My 14 day average is 110 fasting.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 14:14

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

In my experience, it could be too much protein in the evening since excess protein (i.e. not needed for the body's normal functions) is slowly converted to glucose.

I am a diabetic controlled by LCHF diet and metformin, so I'm not exactly in your situation, but I've found the best way for me to keep my morning blood sugar down is to be careful of how much protein I have the night before. If I have a big steak, I will wake up to a BS around 110 even if I went to bed with BS of say 92. If I stick to more moderate level of protein, say 4-6oz, my BS will stay in the 90's. I tried all the other remedies for the diabetic dawn phenomenon (the overnight rise in BS), none really worked except lowering my protein in-take.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 14:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I found the too much protein thing holds for me too.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 18:59

Plan: Keto/Phinney18
Stats: 269/265/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:Way/TOO/Much
Progress: 3%

Thank you Both for your imput. I do eat a fairly large portion of protein sometimes. I'll have to watch that and see if it makes a difference for me.

I just checked my BS and it was 88. The lowest I have had in a long time. The difference is that now that I am doing VLCHF I just never have the feeling that it is swinging too low. I didn't eat today until one because I was out of the house and I still felt great all day.

I finally feel like I have found my sweet spot. VLCHF is working so well for me.
I am finally feeling great and losing weight. What could be better.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-15, 13:23

Plan: Atkins 72 Induc Lifer IF
Stats: 249/157/150 Female 5'7.5"
BF:
Progress: 93%

I am pre-diabetic. Have been on LCHF since June 2015. Noticed my blood sugars running high as well which was shocking to me as I have been doing low carb for so long. Thought I would be out of the woods for diabetes by now but I was wrong. Some say to much protein but if we don't eat much carbs, I run at about 5% or less per day and now can't eat meat, ughh what do we eat?? My macros usually run around 75-80 Fat/ 5 or less Carbs/ Rest Protein on a 1400 calorie or less a day (usually closer to 1200 calories / day. To much fat, then deal with digestion issues. Hard to find a good balance. My protein shake alone has loads of potassium which I need but notice it has 50 gram protein in one serving. Guess I shouldn't have any meat on days that I have a protein shake maybe?? Would love for others to advise here as I am trying to hard to be out from under this pre diabetes thing.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-15, 14:38
Experimenter

BF:

Fat and LC veggies work well. Many LC veggies are mostly water and fiber. Avocados are perfect. Coconut cream/milk are great too. I often make soup or curry using LC veggies and meat. Sometimes I have olives for snacks, or even a mini-meal. I ate things like pate, which is protein but with a whole lot of fat. If you're not paleo it is even easier, lots of dairy products are LC and low in protein.

Even though I increased my veggie intake, it raised my ketones because I also limited my protein intake to 80g or less.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-15, 14:58

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

50g of protein in one sitting is a large amount and almost your whole day's worth on 1200 cal. If you only eat two meals a day, maybe balance out the protein equally? There is also the evidence that Whey Protein is insulinogenic, which may increase BG in addition to higher insulin? Check your reaction to the protein formula you have, before and hourly after having the shake. Maybe try a few weeks with no whey protein; eating HB eggs, meats, fish and veg instead for after workout.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 01:25

BF:

Thanks so much for your responses. I read a lot of both your posts for helpful info all the time. My blood sugar was creeping up before I actually had the protein drink. I have been doing low carb, high fat and moderate protein for over 6mo. So, this was a huge shock to me. Blood sugars were in the 115-120 range over the weekend upon waking and 1-3 hours after eating at times. Wasn't feeling real well over the weekend either so I loaded up on broth, salt and thought maybe I needed a good dose of potassium which I was surprised to find my protein shake had so much potassium but yes a bit to much protein so I didn't have anything else but the drink for evening meal and no snacks that night. That said, I have gone back to the drawing board, watched some of Jason Fung's videos and realized perhaps I need to do the intermittent fasting to help my blood sugars even back out. I am new to this whole pre diabetes thing and it's quite scary to think I have been doing everything right and still have high blood sugar test. I am on a fast right now and feel hungry but fabulous actually. Thought I would try this and see if this does the trick as I am really eating so healthy, probably better than I ever have in my life but perhaps I do need to lower protein even more. I made a batch of Atkins fat blasting turbo soup with a tiny bit of meat, can't wait to have some! I have watched to many in my family suffer from Diabetes which of course led to other serious medical issues so trying everything I can to avoid it. I am curious, next time I have a protein drink I will check my numbers, thank you for reminding me. Hopefully I can continue to drink it because it has so many other good things in it and best of all zero carb. I am thinking fasting is going to have to be a regular occurrence for me to hopefully get rid of this diabetes scare that is hanging over my head. I will be glad when I am closer to my goal weight, maybe then it won't be such a big issue then either. Thanks again for your help and suggestions- you guys are great!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 12:48

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

mten--there is the possibility that you are experiencing physiological insulin resistance (NOT a bad thing) if you have been very strict low carb. This is what happened to my sister. This article explains it somewhat, and links to a very technical explanation at Hyperlink if you are interested:

http://chriskresser.com/when-your-%...-normal-part-2/

You might also want to take fasting readings at various times in the morning, as it can change over the course of the morning. Earlier/later readings could be quite different. If you are really concerned, a new hbA1c reading wouldn't be a terrible idea.

I agree those pre-fab shakes are oftentimes not the best to eat. Is there something you can make yourself instead?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 13:36

BF:

Thanks I will definitely check out this link too. Even 6 months into this im still learning so it's good to hear from others. Had it not been for terrible heart palpitations I perhaps wouldn't have gone for the protein drink but that coupled with broth n extra salt has done the trick. Think my body was depleted of something just not sure what it was. I read we need like 3,500 mg potassium per day. Hard to find and eat enough food to get that in most days. Did my 24 hr fast and felt amazing but blood sugar was still at 94. My brain tells me that's even a little high after a lengthy fast. Now 5 hours after eating it's down to 84 which im much happier with. Apparently my body likes this intermittent fasting thing which ive never really done btw and it took me from a stall to 2 lbs down on the scale. Thank you for all your help!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 14:33
Experimenter

BF:

There's potassium salt marketed as salt substitute like "Nu-salt" that can supply a lot of potassium.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 09:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
There's potassium salt marketed as salt substitute like "Nu-salt" that can supply a lot of potassium.

Oh wow, thank you, going to order some today. This will be a huge help.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-15, 04:49

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Nu-salt is all potassium but harder to find, Morton's Lite Salt is about half potassium (350mg in 1/4t.) but can be found next to regular Morton's salt in Walmart and most grocers.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-15, 07:59

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I did protein shakes for a long while, but they are tricky; they dump a lot of processed elements into our body that hit all at once. You can moderate the whey protein with things like hemp which does not have the same insulogenic effect.

If you need potassium, get potassium; there's no need to put up with any unwanted passengers!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Dec-18-15, 12:08
Registered Member

Plan: LC Mediteranian, Dr. Fung
Stats: 210/175/155 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 64%

I'm kinda in the same boat as you but just starting out, still scrambling to settle on the "right" program. For the last 2 weeks my FBG has been creeping up (from 90's to 122 this AM) and THEN "AhHa" it's the late night protein!! Makes sense and leafy greens the night before sounds good too right now .

BUT I'm interested in getting into the 70's, which sounds possible, with fasting. Dr. Fungs insights and program have brought about some incredible results.

So I'm fasting today to test drive the idea (pretty sure I've enough excess fat to see me through the day). Have any of you tried his program and how's it work for you? Any tweeks?

Janet suggested this link about fasting to reset you BG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcLoaVNQ3rc

and this one explains in much more detail.

https://intensivedietarymanagement....history-part-i/