Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 22:18

Plan: LowCarb since 2/1/08
Stats: 312/312/175 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Food For Life Bread

Has anyone had this bread and Atkins brand white bread? How do the 2 kinds compare? I can stand the Atkins bread if I toast it and make egg sandwiches with it.

Ta Ta!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 22:36

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%

I've been slowly whittling away at the one loaf of the FfL bread I've got stashed in the deepfreeze.

I can't eat it as a sandwich bread; the texture is just wrong. The flavor isn't too objectionable; I come from a family fond of "weird crunchy-thing-filled breads", so I grew up with odd flavors surrounding my PBJs.

This bread I have to have toasted. I've put it under baked eggs, around burgers and (once) made a PB sandwich. (Mixed 2 Tbsp Trader Joe's organic PB with a splash of DaVinci maple). I'll wait until I finish this loaf off (months from now, at this rate), then I'll try the Atkins brand.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 06:19
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default I tried this

but couldn't take the odd taste and texture. I found a bread at my local walmart called orowheat light whole wheat bread and after fiber it is 5 carbs a slice. tastes like a normal bread a little more dense than some but definetely not spongy.

At 5 carbs a slice I don't eat this often because I have learned to live without bread but its nice on ocasion to have a slice of toast with my fried eggs and bacon or an open face tuna melt

Well just my 2 cents worth
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 11:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/189/155 Male 5' 8"
BF:27
Progress: 41%

I was at Trader Joes last night and saw this bread and thought about buying it, but was leery after trying the Atkins bread. The Atkins bread was ok, but had a really weird texture. After reading these posts I'm glad I didn't waste my money on this bread.

I think I'm just going to buy a cheap bread machine at Wal-Mart and try out some of the bread recipes on this forum.

I used to shop at Trader Joes up in the Seattle area and they seemed to have a lot more LC stuff in the stores up there than they do at the stores here in So Cal. So far I've found Albertson’s to be the best grocery store for LC stuff.

The good news is that CarbSmart is opening a store in the Huntington Beach in a couple weeks so maybe I won't have to shop online for my LC products anymore.

Last edited by dustoweb : Wed, Apr-09-03 at 11:38.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 17:42

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Weird... I really like this bread. I tried LC bread only once before and it was awful. I think this bread has a decent texture when toasted and a nice nutty flavor. I really like it.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 12:36

Plan: Atkins Nutritionals
Stats: 226/204/150 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default fit for life bread

I was at trader Joe's today, was about to purchase a loaf of this bread, until I saw the price tag...........$6.06!!!!! Holy Cow I said, and put the bread back!

Going to try and add bread back according to Atkin's carb ladder that he talks about in "Atkins for Life"
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 11:30
re-started LC 3/1/06

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 350/314.5/150 Female 5'4''
BF:Too Much!!
Progress: 18%
Default Natures Own - reduced carbohydrate bread

I skimmed through the posts to see if this was mentioned. I didnt find it so here is some really good information to those that can find this product.
I have found this at Walmart in both the diet supplements section.. and in the bread section.
I have found it in my local grocery store on the shelf with the other breads.
The cost? Less than $2.00 per loaf.. and it is a full size loaf. unlike the low fat diet breads I used to purchase when I tried to do low fat diets.
anyway.. this is the Nutrition stuff on the back label.

serving size is 1 slice. (28f/1oz)
servings per container.. 20
calories 60 calories from fat 10

total fat 1g
saturated 0g
polyunsaturated far 0g
monounsaturated fat 0g

cholesterol 0mg

sodium 105mg

total carbohydrate 7g
dietary fiber 2 g
sugars 0g

Protein 6g

I only count 5 carbs per slice because of the fiber. But I am honestly telling you.. that if you like wheat bread.. this bread taste no different. I like to have a slice with my eggs and bacon in the mornings.. with butter melted on it.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 09:49
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 267/248/195
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default low carb or reduced carb bread?

Hello everyone. I'm a relative newbie (been on induction for 14 days - plan on being on it for another 14 days).

When I started Atkins, I expected that the high-carb foods that I would miss the most would be pasta and rice. Well, it turns out that I miss bread the most. I guess I didn't realize how much I relied on sandwiches for lunch and late night snacks. I miss it dearly.

My question is, when I move into OWL, what lc breads would you recommend? I know that white bread is out of the question (which is what I primarily ate before Atkins). What brands of whole wheat bread would you recommend? I've seen some people on this forum say that the lc breads and tortillas are not very tasty. I've searched the regular grocery stores where I live and have found only one low carb bread. Actually, it's a "reduced" carb bread - Nature's Own Reduced Carb Premium Wheat Bread.. It has 5 net grams of carb per slice. I've had other Nature's Own types of breads and they were very tasty. Has anyone experimented with this one? Am I going to get myself into trouble by eating a reduced carb bread instead of a low carb bread?

I know I'm 2 weeks away from OWL, but I'm planning ahead. I'm looking forward to being able to add a slice or two of low or reduced carb bread as my first incremental addition of carbs. I really am looking forward to a chicken salad sandwich. Please help!

kdog - out
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 09:52

Plan: Trying CAD
Stats: 183/162.8/120 Female 4'11"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Atkins bread has 3g carbs per slice, its ok, but not great. I got mine from the health food store in the freezer section. $5.00 a loaf.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 10:30
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I liked the Atkins bread. The other brand I tried had a good taste, like a multigrain bread, but they were so small there wasn't much that could be done with the slices.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 11:38
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Progress: 16%

O'Solo low carb buns is pretty good -- at Trader Joes for $1.99 for 4 buns (like unsplit hamburger buns).

The Original flavor (which I think is like a light whole wheat) has 3 net carbs. You can buy them online or find a store near you that sells them at osolo.com.

They have several flavors of buns including sour dough and pumpernickle.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 11:55

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Kdog,

Me too, never realized how much I really appreciated bread until months later living without it. It never occured to me how the bread really made a pizza better, or meat loaf tastier, or even just with butter spread to go with eggs etc....and, to me, sandwiches aren't the same without the bread.

I have a brand called Oroweat now. For pre or maintenance, it seems acceptable, and I haven't had any problems yet eating it several times per week. 2 slices = 80 calories, 18 carbs, and 7 fiber, for a net carb of only 11. And, it tastes very good.

So, that fits pretty easily once you're off Induction, or if your OWL CCL level is high enough.

Good luck!
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 11:58

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default My poor hubby

I gave him a bread maker for Christmas and he has thrown out so much homemade breads because I don't eat it. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good low carb bread machine mix?

Black57
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 12:00

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Talking Gurly

GURLYGRL, ilove your signature post. I wish I had it. Wouldn't that be great on a cup or T shirt?
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 12:20

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

IMO, Atkins and Carbolite Bread are not very good tasting. Nature's Own is great. I used to toast a slice for breakfast when I first started OWL. It didn't cause stalling.

Last edited by cc48510 : Sun, Jun-15-03 at 12:24.