Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 11:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 145/137/120 Female 5ft 7 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default why don't you have a show???

Ok this is off topic (well not really) But WHY DON"T you have a show on food network??? Rob does and you should too.....You could do a low carb one.....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 11:10

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

I second the motion!!

Let's all write to food Network and ask them to put on a LC show.
They have that "cokking thin" or something silly like that on now. (it's low cal - low fat Right?)
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 12:18
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
But WHY DON"T you have a show on food network???
I think its because I'm too old. I've been approached for other shows but nothing came of it.

First, you need a producer and it's a huge sell-job to the network. Maybe you know a producer who would like to join forces with me?

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 13:05

Plan: Atkins-esque
Stats: 200/158/150 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

What's necessary to take on the role of producer? We've got a whole lot of assistant personnel right here ...

Surely everyone on Food Network with a show did not scrape up their own team? Some of them are so uninteresting and seem thrown together and there is absolutely nothing to back low-carb. Most of the traditional chefs offer a good mix of fat/protein (Emeril is one, but still schmoozes with the low-fat crowd ...Grrrrrrr....) but they really need a program fully-devoted to LC.

Heck, you can't be older than either of the Two Fat Ladies, Karen! Maybe you need a trendy mode of transportation.

Pick up a scooter and start practicing. You'll be a shoe-in!

---Amy
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 14:35

BF:
Progress:

er, you are not any older then Rob.......I am guessing that you are within my age (40).
Everyone we need to all write to Foodnet work .ca and get this going...provided that Karen wants to do a show????
This is going to sound corny BUT I lived in Whistler for many years and have always been around the west end/kits area for work and such, I have always thought that you were an incrediable chef and loved your books so it feels a little unnerving conversing with you....As Wayne form Wayne's World once said "I'm not worthy"!!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 18:41
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
What's necessary to take on the role of producer?
Some bucks, vision and hiring a good director and production crew.

I'm 46. Younger than the 2 FL's and older than Rob F.

I've actually had a fantasy about my own LC show but it would be more than cooking. It would be total LC lifestyle.
Quote:
it feels a little unnerving conversing with you
Isn't the forum amazing? You would prbably be scared to speak to me if you saw me on the street but it's all good right here. You should take one of my low-carb cooking classes and see just how approachable I am.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 19:01

BF:
Progress:

I will try to, on one of my business trips over. I always thought you had a zany sense of humor lurking in between the lines of your cookbooks so imagine your classes and shows would be quite entertaining........
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 23:59

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I just have to pipe in here and add my 2 cents worth.. I would LOVE it if Karen had an LC show on Food TV!!! And yes, she is very approachable and genuinely pleased when people enjoy the classes and dinners she puts on Now I'm blushing cos that sounds so "gushy"..
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 18:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf

Time for some email-bombardment of foodtv.ca -- I'll start with one today -- I'm pretty darn sure they WILL respond to consistent consumer demand.

http://www.foodtv.ca/help/contactus/ [ program suggestions ]

Dear FoodTV-people:

We have a treasure out here on the West Coast, an Executive Chef and recipe developer, cookbook author and teacher, and the "pro from dover" when it comes to Low Carb cooking and lifestyle. Karen Barnaby, Executive Chef of the Stanley Park Fish House and a founding member of the Girls Who Dish. Remember that episode of the Great Canadian Food Show where Carlo Rota was surrounded by a bevy of West Coast cooking beauties? Don't miss this opportunity to look into an enormously popular segment of the food world...what could be better?

Are you guys ever going to get a really fabulous and amusing food show about the Low Carb way of life? Please do! I guarantee you excellent ratings.

Thanks!

Hmmmmm. Think it'll help?

#10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 18:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf

Gotta love those automated replies.

Thank you for contacting Food Network Canada. We are always looking for suggestions and new show ideas about great food.
If you requested a show or program, please be assured that your suggestion will be forwarded to our programming department for review and consideration.

If you are a producer and have questions about submissions or would like information about how to make a submission please send an email food.submissions~allianceatlantis.com

Please note: If the information you are requesting is not addressed in this message, you will receive a personalized response within approximately five business days.

Thank you for taking the time to write to Food Network Canada. We hope you continue to enjoy our programming.

Sincerely, Viewer Relations
Food Network Canada
Alliance Atlantis Broadcasting Inc.

Hmmmm, the hint is that they collect submissions and give them to producers who are looking for ideas. Now that's the ticket! Send in your suggestions, let's get Karen on the air to spread the word!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 12:47

BF:

I just emailed them, too!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 22:26
Forum Founder

BF:

Now I'll just sit back and wait for the phone to ring. Their people can call my people.

But seriously, I really appreciate the vote of confidence!

Karen
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 14:03

Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

you know we should just all email the network and request a show! There are sooo many people lc'ing who are looking for new food ideas!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 14:21

BF:

I think it would be awesome if Karen got a low carb lifestyle show. That way, all the folks on here with access to Food TV could get the benefit of her wisdom, experience and *wonderful* recipes... and SHE would get even more famous!

So let's all email... Judi nicely provided the link, but I'll repost here to make it easy for folks:

http://www.foodtv.ca/help/contactus/ [ program suggestions ]
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 15:18
WannaHaveFun

Plan: protvegfatprotvegfatprotv
Stats: 183/165/155 Female 67 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

I'm a fan and haven't even met Karen or eaten at the Fish House yet . I sent the following message to the folks at Food Network Canada:

How about a low-carb lifestyle program? The idea is really taking off, as you can see by more and more LC products on store shelves, and by the number of people you meet who are "doing Atkins" or something similar, with fabulous results. I vote for Karen Barnaby of Stanley Park's Fish HOuse Restaurant, as the star. She is charming, inspiring, and delightful--check our her web site at www.karenbarnaby.com.