Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 19:42

Plan: Keto
Stats: 203/187.2/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:75%/5%/25%
Progress: 25%
Default Home-made gluten?

I found this recipe for home made gluten... I have no idea how much carbs would be in this stuff, but I think that gluten flour has relative few. I’m thinking of trying it. Has anyone heard of this before? Here is the link to the site. Sounds interesting to me.
http://waltonfeed.com/grain/passport/outomeat.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-08, 23:57

Plan: a vegan one
Stats: 175/175/175 Male 71
BF:
Progress:

Seitan (cooked wheat gluten) is very low-carb! By removing the starch from wheat flour you take away most of the carbs and keep the protein. This method has been used for quite a long time, even by Buddhist monks who wanted a meat substitute for religious reasons.

It's easy to make it yourself - just get some vital wheat gluten, or gluten flour as it's sometimes called, add water and flavoring until you have a sticky dough, and then boil or bake it. Baking takes a little less time but both require at least an hour or so. This is the craziest recipe I've seen for it, but if you nail it is delicious! http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/0...-pepperoni.html

You can check the nutritional facts here: http://www.arrowheadmills.com/produ...d=257&cat_id=64. A whole box will make a pretty good amount of seitan.

Sometimes its easier to get it pre-packaged and I prefer this brand: http://www.tofutown.net/index.php?id=93. They make it very low-carb with the addition of soy and garbanzo bean flour.

If you make it yourself, you can go all the way and coat the finished seitan in nutritional yeast, margarine, and some spices, then bake it and you have "fried chicken!" A recipe a friend of mine gave me a long time ago. There are quite a few interesting tricks with vegan cooking.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 16:49

Thanks for that reply Seitanist! I will have to check out the links you posted.

It's funny after 6 years someone would post in this thread... cool!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-08, 17:47

Plan: a vegan one
Stats: 175/175/175 Male 71
BF:
Progress:

That's the internet for you. Haha.

Go seitan!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-08, 19:44
I’m Delicious

Plan: It's a secret..shhh
Stats: 255/193/175 Female 5'7
BF:Beef Flavored?
Progress: 78%

I can see no one has posted in here forever. I am not a vegetarian but I am sick of meat so I have been adding some vegetarian meals in. I made seitan, and LC crepes and turned it into Mu Shu with a peanut based Hoisen sauce. Anyone else have ideas for what to do with seitan?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-08, 22:31

Interesting - tell more please. I haven't even made any but it did and still does sound interesting.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-08, 01:08
I’m Delicious

Look at page 15 in my journal and there are step by step photos and a recipe. I made a pretty good French Dip with swiss and magic rolls. I just want to know what else to do with it.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 16:16

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 354/286/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I made a terrific Stroganoff with a batch of beefy-flavored gluten and mushrooms last week. Follow any low-carb recipe that calls for beef. If it calls for beef broth, substitute soy sauce or "mushroom soy sauce" in hot water with a little onion powder and pepper.

Frankly, any recipe that calls for small pieces of meat could be a good recipe to convert to seitan.

Don't forget that gluten makes the base for the best possible vegetarian turkey, too. Check out the Vegan Feast Kitchen blog (Bryanna Clark Grogan's website) and the Vegan Dad blog for recipes to use as templates. I'm going to make a seitan "turkey roll" next week, and I'll let you know what I changed and how it turned out.

The gluten "pepperoni" at the Fat Free Vegan blog is just... addictive. I make it as directed, but in other batches I also use seasonings to try to recreate the flavors of beef or chicken. It's worth keeping in mind that what you are really tasting when you think of a beef flavor or a chicken flavor is just salt and seasonings. The protein itself has no taste of its own.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-08, 01:26
I’m Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedwell
I made a terrific Stroganoff with a batch of beefy-flavored gluten and mushrooms last week. Follow any low-carb recipe that calls for beef. If it calls for beef broth, substitute soy sauce or "mushroom soy sauce" in hot water with a little onion powder and pepper.

Great idea on the Stroganoff. I made a Pastrami Seitan once and made reubens. I am not a vegetarian although I have been in the past, I was just temporarily sick of meat for a bit so I made some seitan. I love being creative in the kitchen. I just found a great cookbook called Vegan Vittles. There are some great recipes in there for seitan flavorings.

Cook ON!