Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-06, 19:16
Registered Member

Plan: atkins (moderated veggie)
Stats: 249/238/140 Female 5ft6ins
BF:
Progress: 10%
Question Why Am I so thirsty ?

I drink in excess of 10 pints of water per day. So, why do I feel so thirsty all the time. I am drinking almost constantly, I cant go more than 20 minutes without water. Consequently, I am in the toilet all the time. Does this pass when you're out of induction? Or is it just part of eating lo-carb?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-06, 22:30
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeon
I drink in excess of 10 pints of water per day. So, why do I feel so thirsty all the time. I am drinking almost constantly, I cant go more than 20 minutes without water. Consequently, I am in the toilet all the time. Does this pass when you're out of induction? Or is it just part of eating lo-carb?

hi there,

Ketosis can have a diuretic effect, and most folks find they're piddling more and consequently drinking more. But not constant thirst, as you're experiencing. I'm concerned that your symptoms might be caused by a health problem. Have you had your blood sugar checked recently??

Reason I ask is that increased thirst coupled with increased urination may indicate diabetes. I'm sure in your case it's simply due to the benign ketosis from lc'ing. But it would be prudent to have this checked, especially if you're still experiencing the aches and lethargy you posted about last week.

Please keep us posted

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 08:04
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Doreen

The only problem is, here in the UK we can't just go and ask for tests at the doctors. Firstly she will ask me why I am on this diet and they dont support this WOE in the medical fraternity here. I never had this problem before i started lo carbing.

I did find on article online last night and it said something about the fact that the liver is trying to flush out the keytones and that is we need to drink more. I hope this is all it is.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 08:05
Registered Member

BF:

PS
My energy levels are ok at the moment. Still a little bit tired but that is from hauling this mass of weight about. I dont feel as bad as when I first started the diet.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 08:09
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Hi Pigeon....did you know that in the chemist Lloyds you can get a free diabetes test, might be worth you looking into if you have any around your area.

On a side note, I pee'd for england once I started LC, it's normal to g every hour or so in the first few weeks because your body is getting rid of all the toxins and water weight first, you should find eventually it settles down, but I agree with doreen, it's better to get checked out.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 16:31

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeon
Thanks Doreen

The only problem is, here in the UK we can't just go and ask for tests at the doctors. Firstly she will ask me why I am on this diet and they dont support this WOE in the medical fraternity here. I never had this problem before i started lo carbing..

Pigeon, I'm not a big fan of not being straight with a doctor, but ...
The doctor needs to know your symptoms (frequent urination/frequent thirst) and if s/he asks 'has anything in your diet changed recently?' you could legitimately say that you are eliminating sugar and refined processed foods. That's often an acceptable way to present low carbing to a medical professional who might cringe if you actually said you were following Atkins, but who will be all for getting rid of sugar and processed foods. I wouldn't even call them 'carbs' if you think your practicioner is phobic about it...

Don't lie...but in this case, don't give them more information than they'll use constructively.

That said, if s/he gives you the test, and you DO come up with symptoms of a disorder, be very specific about what you're eating, when symptoms started, etc.

Trust me, cancer docs don't want to hear you're on some crazy low carb diet either (unless they're pretty enlightened...) But they do love to know that I avoid sugar and refined and processed foods. And when I started to respond to treatment, the nutritionist and nurse practicioner became *very* interested in what I was eating, and started to draw their own conclusions and do their own research about the value of low carbing for cancer patients. Sometimes, you have to let them get to the well on their own two feet.

Gaelen
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 17:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203.6/203.6/150 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Pigeon, I'm not a big fan of not being straight with a doctor, but ...
The doctor needs to know your symptoms (frequent urination/frequent thirst) and if s/he asks 'has anything in your diet changed recently?' you could legitimately say that you are eliminating sugar and refined processed foods. That's often an acceptable way to present low carbing to a medical professional who might cringe if you actually said you were following Atkins, but who will be all for getting rid of sugar and processed foods. I wouldn't even call them 'carbs' if you think your practicioner is phobic about it...

I agree with Galean completely here!!!
When I first started LCing, it was like Foxgluvs says... I was in the bathroom so much I felt that I was getting my workout walking to & from there constantly!!! It has regulated, and as I have been drinking more water now, I acctually WANT more water. I never would have thought that!!!
It is better to go the doctor to find out nothing is wrong than to get in trouble!!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 17:07
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Just want to pop in to add my tuppence worth.

I am always thirsty when in ketosis. Even when not technically in ketosis, I drink between 4 and 5 litres a day; more on very hot days. And it seems the more I drink, the thirstier I get.

If it is bothering you, you could try making a conscious effort to drink a little less, perhaps by sucking on icecubes instead of drinking a whole glass of water.

HTH

Rosebud
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 17:27
Registered Member

BF:

I didnt realise you were from UK foxgluvs. Cheers everyone I will get it checked out.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-06, 03:01
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Hi pigeon, yeah I'm in the South East
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 00:56

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 131/125/123 Female 5'2"
BF:24%
Progress: 75%
Default Thirstiness

I definitely noticed that I was thirsty ALL THE TIME during the first 4-6 days or so of induction. I couldn't get enough water to drink, ever... and the fact that I love caffeinated drinks didn't help. It was a constant cycle of dehydration and rehydration. That seems to have mellowed out though now that I'm in the second week.... have you noticed any difference in your thirst level yet?
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-06, 12:36
Registered Member

BF:

I dont seem to be as thirsty now. Maybe it was the body trying to detox itself.