Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-06, 14:10
Registered Member

Plan: modified atkins per doc
Stats: 261/239/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Fibro Sleep Disorder

Does anyone have any recommendations for something other than prescription meds to help with sleep?

I have been in remission for nearly two years, but the sleep disorder is back with a vengeance. I cannot take Elavil...it caused unbelievable weight gain (about 35 pounds in six months) and am reluctant to take any prescription sleep aid unless I've no other option.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-06, 14:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Have you tried benadryl? It is an antihistamine. Makes me very, very sleepy.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-06, 14:40
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks, Nancy. I had considered trying it and took some last night because I have such bad allergies right now. I was able to fall asleep pretty quickly, although I only slept about 5 hours. I'll keep trying it.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-06, 15:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If I wake early I take another one. Usually 1/2 of one is all I need.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-17-06, 20:09
Elevator, Going Down

Plan: Natalia Rose Detox
Stats: 264/241/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 19%

I take 2 benadryl every night - although I take it as tylenol PM (it is the same med, only its blue and I am allergic to red coloring)

Also sometimes I take melatonin.

There's some sleep supplements available - swanson vitamins has several.... good luck with it, getting enough sleep is SO important...
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-17-06, 20:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/187/158 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

have you had any test done to see about your sleeping habits.

i have sleep apena. i have to use a machine at night to help me. sue
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 09:20
Registered Member

BF:

No, I've not had any testing since my doctor diagnosed the sleep disorder as being one specific to fibromyalgia, which has the characteristic of having difficulty entering and maintaining the REM stage properly.

Right now, I'm doing the Benadryl. It works well most nights. I'm also going to start exercising so that I am more physically tired at night.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 16:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 248/237/130 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 9%

i take ambien a couple of nights a week, md said not to take every night i also take percogesic an otc, they have changed the formula on it and now it contains tylenol and benedryl just like a lot of 'pm' meds
i have trouble clearing out meds esp benedryl and the next day i am moving like a snail
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 09:24

Plan: my own
Stats: 151.5/142.0/125 Female 5ft 3.5in
BF:?
Progress: 36%

I take a supplement called Knockout. The brand name is Schiff. It seems to work pretty well for me.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-07-07, 21:30

Plan: Superfoods RX
Stats: 270.5/228/170 Female 68.5 inches
BF:TOO MUCH
Progress: 42%
Angry Benadryl, Tylenol PM and Gravol

All of these are exactly the same drug if you read the ingredients...It is just you can buy 100 NO NAME gravol for about what they charge for 12 benadryl. I confonted a pharmicist with this a few years back and he admitted I was right.

If I can't sleep, I try to take two gravol along with my muscle relaxant about one hour before bed.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-07, 14:19
One Bite At A Time

Plan: South Beach Phase II
Stats: 232/183/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67/34?/20
Progress: 48%

I use herbal remedies from the healthfood store. The ones that contain Valaian and california poppy work the best for me because valarien relaxes you muscles and california poppy is a hypnotic, so it just knocks you out like sleeping pill.
WONDERFUL STUFF!!!

I don't think you're suppose to take california poppy if you're on antidepressants, . But check with the healthfood store and your doc
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-07, 14:29

Talking Benadryl An Expensive Marketing Ploy!

Any members who are taking Benadryl as a brand name are paying way too much. Benadryl and Gravol and Nyquil, Tylenol PM all contain exactly the same drug..read the labels. THus if you buy no name motion sickness pills, check the labels, you will see you are getting exactly the same drug for one tenth the price. I can get a package of fifty for under five dollars! I confirmed all this with a pharmacist I have known for thirty years and she admitted it is all in the marketing..but is exactly same active ingredient
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-07, 15:13
One Bite At A Time

Plan: South Beach Phase II
Stats: 232/183/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67/34?/20
Progress: 48%

wow, that is interesting. I bet you that A LOT of people take anti-histimines and then take the Tylenol PM to sleep. They could be setting themselves up unknowingly for some side effects.
I take Claritin and took something for sleep a couple of times when I was traveling and couldn't get to a healthfood store. I slept but I felt really rotten in the morning. I bet that's why. Thank you so much for that information.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-07, 07:48

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 258.5/244.5/180 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Muscle relaxants are the best thing, in my opinion. When I was diagnosed with fibro she gave me cyclobenzaprine, generic flexor. Slept like a baby and even had DREAMS! from what i can recall, they are relatively cheap, though.

That aside, magnesium is supposed to help with sleep as is 5-HTP. Might look into those things as well.

Come to think of it, i'm sleeping really really lightly right now and dear husband's unbearable snoring is not going over well. Maybe i'll take my own advice.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-07, 09:28

Thumbs down Tempurpedic - No No No No!

I Just GAVE AWAY my TEMPURPEDIC mattress to charity. If you have fibro DO NOT EVER NEVER NO WAY DON"T HINK AABOUT IT>.ever buy one of these. I had read far too many reports of fibros and arthritis sufferers getting worse after buying one of these nightmares. I sucked it up, went shopping for a long time and finally found a really good serta pillow top on sale and the nice salesman after hearing my tale of woe knocked price down even further, eliminated delivery charge and told the delivery guys they were to assembly my new bed frame and reattach the headboard for me. That was three weeks ago and my sleep has improved amazingly!