Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-05, 10:56

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Guaifeneisin Protocol Stops fibro in its tracks!

I've found something wonderful and I'm shouting it from the rooftops. Guaifeneisin!

Dr. R. Paul St. Amand, M.D. has developed a system of using a very inexpensive drug, guaifeneisin, to treat, reverse and stop fibromyalgia syndrome.

I've been on it just over a week, and am amazed at the way it works. I have no affiliation, just a grateful user already well on the journey back to pain-free health.

For more information, google on "guaifeneisin" or go on over to http://www.fibromyalgiatreatment.com/EasyQuickLinks.htm and start reading from the top link on down. It's not the only such website, but it's a real good one, run by Dr. St. Amand's nurse and co-author of his books, Claudia Craig Marek. You've hear the saying "they wrote the book on..."? Well, they did!

It's a very simple protocol. Simple to understand, simple to implement, simple to continue.

There's lots of support available on email groups, so you don't have to feel like the Lone Stranger as you investigate and try it out.

Dr. St. Amand has written two books on his experiences as a FMS sufferer and physician, and they are definitely worth reading. Get them free from your local library. Buy them later if you wish.

Guai is cheap! I spend about $25.00/month on it, buy it right off the shelf at Safeway, or it's available all over the web.

The pain, stiffness, depression gradually ease up as your tissues clear, and if you stay on guai, you can live a normal life. There are no side effects to worry about, no stomach upset, nothing!

Do yourself a favour and check it out.

Please let me know how it works out for you.

Take care,
sky
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-05-05, 01:03

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Sky, I have some but not all of the symptoms and so don't know if trying this is worthwhile. I mainly have the muscle soreness, tendency to cramp very easily, fasciculations in the lower limbs, and can fatigue easily. But I do sleep pretty well. I also don't think I have any tender spots (whole body seems tender to me!!) and no lumpy bits (that isn't just fat). I take 5HTP and this seems to keep me feeling better, but it doesn't fix anything. I would put it all down to old age except that I have had these symptoms for a long time.

What was your situation, and what dose did you get to for the symptoms to get worse? How long before it reversed?

Val
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-05-05, 08:16

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

Sky, I am very happy for you! I have heard that guai really helps a lot of people--unfortunately, it didn't do a thing for me when I tried it. What helped me tremendously was getting off grains. It's definitely a syndrome of many different facets and it looks like each individual has to figure out what works for them personally. It's so great you found out what helps you, and hopefully others will try that and see if it helps them.--Gail
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 23:05

BF:

Hi Gail and Val! Good to see ya here.....

Val, I have had tolerable pain for years. Was diagnosed w/ FMS about 8-10 years ago, but didn't believe I had it. Was Rxed w/ antidepressants, which I never took.

Not everyone has all of the symptoms, and individual's symptoms change from time to time. I have had pains in my shoulders and mid-back, many years ago before the diagnosis had profound fatigue at times, have trouble sleeping through the night, cannot go back to sleep if I wake before morning, get very tired and sleepy in the afternoon, then cannot go to sleep at night, headaches, chronically stuffy nose for many years. I also have "fibro fog", especially after eating carbs, notably wheat. I get very groggy, cannot push a thought from one side of my mind to the other and usually don't feel better until I have slept.

I began taking 400 of Fast Acting (FA) guai twice daily just twenty days ago. I began cycling that very day! It was my dose, so I didn't have to do any adjusting at all. I take an Aleve twice a day and that helps the pain of cycling a lot.

I feel great, my aches and pains are still tolerable, I believe that I am reversing the process and am looking forward to the day when I am completely cleared and the process is completely reversed. I cannot recommend it too much!

Gail, if you tried guai and it didn't work for you, there are several things that could be operant. You may not have FMS. 40% of all women in the US have it, 20% of all men. You may not be one of the groups that have it.

You may not have cleared all salicylates out of your life. Sals compete for the same receptor sites in the kidney that guai does, and as sals are a better fit than guai, your guai may have been blocked and you got no results from taking it. There is lots of information on salicylates on the St. Amand website. I cleared out my sals in one day. It's really easy. The only things I had to replace were deodorant and shampoo.

You may not have found your clearing dose. Dr. St. Amand has results w/ about 80% of his patients on the 300 mg twice-daily dose. Others need more. If you are absolutely certain that you are sal-free and that you do have FMS, then the only problem is insufficient guai.

There are many things that help somewhat, but guai *reverses* the process as no other substance can do. If you have FMS, if you are sal-free and if you are taking enough guai, it cannot fail to reverse the process.

You cannot map your own body. It takes someone like a physical or massage therapist or a physician who is familiar w/ how tissues feel to identify the lumps and bumps, and can reach places you cannot. Regular mapping, preferably w/ the same person doing it, is the only way you can actually prove that you are clearing. I am not able to locate anyone to do this and was not willing to wait, so I just cleared out the sals and began taking guai. My pains increased; I believe it's working for me. I'm willing to go w/ this for now and get mapped when I can.

But I'll leave you both to read further on it and to decide if you want to do the protocol. St. Amand's website is pretty much what you need to do it.

Good luck! Come back when you have questions to which I might help you find the answers.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-08-05, 06:14

BF:

Very interesting. Yes, I definitely had FM, with all the trigger points, and now don't have those, so maybe I don't have it anymore. My aches and pains seem more of inflammation or autoimmune nature nowadays, and respond to getting off gluten containing grains better than anything else. My chiro, who's worked with FM and CFIDS a lot told me people seem to gradually work out FM and he thought I was almost thru it about 3 three years ago. But the gua/sal protocal is something I'll keep in mind if I need to problem shoot further.-Gail
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-08-05, 16:35

BF:

Fibromyalgia is a genetic flaw. That means that if you once had it, you still have it.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-13-05, 09:31

BF:

Gee, this is SAD! Fibromyalgia is affecting nearly half the population of people in the US, and I can't GIVE away the solution!!! Guai Rocks!! Suffers of the world, give up your pain and get well.

Oh well......I am having good results, at least.

I got my first mapping done w/ a friend who does massage, and after I get through two weekend camping trips coming up at the end of July, I shall go back for the followup map. I hope to see some good changes then. I'm waiting until after the camping because I was kinda sore the day after the mapping. She was super gentle, but just palpating my body for the "lumps and bumps" St. Amand describes makes it hurt more. Going INTO sleeping on the ground w/ a sore body is not a "Good Thing".

In the meantime, I am not finding it difficult at all to avoid sals. Sure hope I don't learn after my next mapping that I'm not clearing as I think I am, 'cause it will lead to a lotta work sorting out any sals I'm still encountering.

I've got really good at reading labels.....not a problem at all.

I haven't had to give up much of anything. Toothpaste? I bought some Tom's of Maine apricot flavoured stuff that's pretty good, but I also have taken a liking to brushing w/ baking soda. It really cleans well!

Shampoo? I lucked out there....after I bought some Pantene, Johnson's baby shampoo and the stuff that makes your hair curly, I got to reading the labels on my fave Tresemmes and found that I didn't actually have to do anything more than change to a different Tresemme formula. I like that!

I've learned to wear latex gloves to garden.....just hafta remember not to pull weeds or deadhead flowers w/o ma gloves. Piece a cake.

My deodorant has been the biggest challenge, and I'm still working on that.....had ta give up my cherished Secret 'cause every single one of their formulae has palm oil in it. To make it solid, I guess. I haven't tried to look for a Secret roll-on....that may be a solution.

But in the meantime I am using Ban roll-on and it's okay, but not nearly as effective as my good ol' Secret. Oh well, perhaps we FMs will get to be such an economic force that they'll make a sal-free version just for us!

I had to give up a wonderful nail care product simply because I could not get the customer service folks at that company to 1) comprehend what I was saying and asking for, and 2) respond to me in any helpful fashion. So, they don't get any more of my money. My nails are in much better shape anyway......I think it's because the guai is taking the phosphates outta my system and my nails are less brittle and better hydrated because of it. So, not much loss there.

I found an amazing oil-free SPF 45 sunscreen over at the Marina Del Rey pharmacy, just around the corner from Dr. St. Amand's office. Online at www.fibroconnection.com. They specialize in all sorts of sal-free products.....personal care, makeup, sun screen, bug spray. It's very nice to be able to buy anything of their lines and be secure that I'm not nuking my guai. I really like the oil-free sunscreen, 'cause I avoid wearing it if it makes me sweat underneath it. It's so ugly and sticky I run the risk of exposure rather than wear it, and I've tried a lot of brands. But this one is great! It even makes my skin softer and smoother, so it's almost like a beauty treatment. Plus, plus!!!

I also ordered their 400 mg FA guai, and it's HALF the cost of the Humibid e I was buying at Safeway! Seems to be working, although I took a break when I ran out of Humibid e, and when I got back on again, my hands have hurt a LOT less, so the jury's still out on whether or not the new guia is working.

Guess I'm talking to myself here, but that's okay, I'm GREAT company!

Take care all,
sky
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 08:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALEWIS
...and no lumpy bits (that isn't just fat).
Val

Val, something you said makes me curious.

What do you mean by lumpy bits? I have fatty lipomas all over my body, seems to be something that runs in my family.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 10:43

BF:

I do agree, actually, that if you have FM you basically have it for the long haul. Mine has gone into remission before. Once I felt normal and was very active for 3-4 years and then I got seriously ill and it kicked back in. Twice, including now, I've improved until I had no pressure point pain but still had fatigue. Right now it looks like the fatigue is from hypothyroidism, which is still beign assessed. Since I am responding well to Armour thyroid, I hope to enter into a long, pleasant remission.
I still believe it's a case of YMMV, and this forum is great for sharing what works. Glad you found your solution! Gail
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-05, 22:29

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Nancy,

I have a few lipomas as well. I must have been referring to lumpy bits that are in the diagnosis of FM in some Sx lists. But they don't mean lipomas either.

Val
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-05, 14:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ok. I've thought at times I might have FMS with my muscle/joint aches, but they've mostly disappeared since I've been getting treated with DHEA, testosterone, thryoid and progesterone. I never had any trigger points either, at least that I'm aware of. Just lots of muscle/joint issues.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-06, 08:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 143/143/200 Male 6 foot 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hmm, I don't have Fibro, but I know people who do and I think it may benefit CFS and other people with "weird" related conditions (RA etc.). How can I get some? I live waaay away in South Africa.

Doesn't seem fun to play with though.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-06, 11:11

BF:

You can google it and order from many sources on the web. It's really very inexpensive, especially if you use the short-acting kind. The timed release is more expensive, but it depends upon what works best for you.

The most often I've heard of anyone taking it is twice a day, so that's not bad.

It *isn't* play, because while it's clearing away the nasties it also causes pain. The payoff is in leaving your FMS behind forever. I've talked w/ folks who are much further along than I, and they say not only can you never suffer again, but you start to feel better within a relatively short time.

The longer you've had the fibro, the longer it takes to clear, but it DOES work!

HTH
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-06, 12:32

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

That's intereasting Nancy.

I had tried DHEA and found it really helped my fibro pain...but boy did it make me grouchy!

Have you had any problems with that?

Would I get over it eventually you think?

LC helps the fibro anyway, but I had a weird thing happen about a month ago...

I fell part way down the stairs...no big deal (or so I thought), bumped my rump, twisted my leg, twisted my wrist and ankle, but within 72 hours I had a FM flare that was unbelievable! First one in at least two years. I'm better now...but boy I had forgotten feeling so bad.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-27-06, 05:51
Registered Member

Plan: Fm diet
Stats: 140/140/70 Female 5feet 7ins
BF:
Progress:

well i have looked into the Gualfenesin here in the uK And NO one sells it here and our doctors dont given know anything about fibromyagia and just say that there is no cure!! and thats that lol i have started on a low carb diet only a week so its early days yet am taking the reliv drink that i have been told that it will give me my life back and can take up to 2 years to do that i have been on it for like 3 mothes and still not pain free i have bad fibromyagia and am housebound for many years and sipmple things in life make me bedridden and i wouldnt beable to get mapping done here in the uk LOL well which Guaifenesin is best to take and can u give me a link please?