Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 21:05

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhYeahBabe
Isn't that the primary ingredient in Mucinex?

Yep, and in some other meds as well.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-07, 04:07
Registered Member

Plan: Fm diet
Stats: 140/140/70 Female 5feet 7ins
BF:
Progress:

hello all i have been on the Guai protocol for over a year now
and i have had over 100 pain free days and i walk for an hour and 25 mins a day 7 days a week and i have come so far! and the Guai protocol is the best thing that i have ever done for my health well just an update IT WORKS!!
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-07, 08:29

BF:

That's fabulous! I am so happy for you.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-08, 04:49

Plan: none yet
Stats: 190/192/135 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

I too am on the guai protocol and it's working! As for the comment that the "sal-safe" isn't important, thats just not true. There is even a test to see if you're blocking the guai by doubling your dose and see if you get significantly worse, if you do, your'e not blocking with salicilates meaning that you're not using anything with sal's in them. Yes cosmetics have them but not all cosmetics, infact, I for one, will give them all up if it meant my pain was gone or even for 100 days per year!!!

It's not impossible nor actually even difficult to do the guai protocol, it's just a bit time consuming at first to read all the labels and make sure "sal" isn't hiding in them. Otherwise it's easy to follow and soooooo worth it. I too am beginning to see more good days than bad!!!
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-08, 16:01

BF:

That's wonderful, deb! It's good to hear from someone who has been on it for long enough to see it work.

Keep up the good work.

On the diet end of things, have you found that a low-carb diet has helped? I'm thinking that reducing sugar would have a positive effect on the pain.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-08, 14:25
Registered Member

Plan: Mine
Stats: 127/127/120 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Again, folks, take a look at the website for this and note how they do not have proof. If this worked, with all the money people donate, and that they make through the sale of salicylate-free products, books, and speaking engagements it REALLY shouldn't be that hard to put together a proper study. It's been years since the first one was attempted. If this really worked, don't you think it would be front page news?
I wasted a year of my life obsessing over this protocol (cuz that's what you have to do to do it, with all the stuff you have to avoid, the dosing to perfect, weird side-effects, stupid stuff like not drinking wheatgrass juice, walking on grass, not using the wrong medicines, personal care products...) it's ridiculous. I should have been all better within a couple of months with how short a time I'd been sick. And for the record, I actually live in CA, so I was close to the doctor and under his supervision.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-08, 15:32

BF:

All right, VegGrrl, you are right and all the rest of these people who believe they are better are just plain wrong.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-08, 05:22

BF:
Progress:

I have not tried the low carb diet yet. I'll tell you why, though. I am a huge skeptic. I wanted to go with one thing at a time and see the results first. Then, if it works, add something potentially even more beneficial. That way, one knows what it is thats working and what is not. Kind of my own "double blind" study of sorts. I'm looking to begin dieting and add in more exercise soon and will probably begin with a version of low carb just to see if it does make any difference. One step at a time lets me know if I'm on the right track or not and what it was that affected that either way.

To VegGirl..
There are so many reasons that it may not have worked. for one, what you describe is cycling, and yes, I know it's going to take a while to reverse all the effects. My first gut instinct is that you didn't give it long enough. Just because you only "think" you got sick a couple months before, isn't necessarily true. In fact, for most FMS patients, it's a gradual thing and rarely (I hate to say never) happens that someone ever gets "sick" and then is even able to get a diagnosis of FMS within a couple months. That's not the patient's fault, it's having to prove one's illness to so many who won't listen or to find someone who will listen, then have all the "tests to rule out" done. The protocol states it's 2 months MINIMUM, for every year one was ill. But thats only after the proper dosage is begun.

You may not have been taking the correct dose, and from what your story says, you may even have been taking too little or too much, or just been cycling. Think of it this way..... Being someone who lives in chronic pain, meaning tylenol just won't cut it on a daily basis, what if, just WHAT IF, you stopped short just a few months or even a year too soon? What if someone told you that one more year of chronic pain (while your body rids itself from the cellular level takes time) would give you lets say four of seven days each week as livable again? Would that be worth feeling bad for one more year? Do you not see that that year is going to pass either way?

Last edited by deb63501 : Sat, Oct-11-08 at 05:30.
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-08, 05:34

BF:
Progress:

as a psss.....

It's not walking on grass, it's walking on freshly cut grass thats the culprit. I see by your name that you are potentially a vegaterian? I could see by that alone how this protocol could fail if not careful.

Is it easy? No..... I now have to do things like read lables now. and thats something we all should be doing regardless. on a daily basis we can potentially add harmful things to our body under the guise of a lotion, not to mention doing the same to our kids. Deet was that way for a while before it got attention to it's being potentially harmful to kids in large doses. Does that mean it can't be used to fend off bugs? No it just means using it smarter, or finding something else that works.... but deet still repels bugs
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-08, 21:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/188/150 Female 66"
BF:Day37=2"loss belly
Progress: 71%

Guaifenesin is the primary ingredient in Mucinex. I haven't been able to replace long acting guai (Mucinex) with short acting guai (which is MUCH cheaper) I get guai off ebay & just bought bottles of 100 tablets for $25 each, which comes out to $13 month cost. I could probably get by with splitting one tablet twice a day instead of taking 2 per day but it's not worth it to me. I do not believe it is in anyway a cure. My pain has increased over the years, it is just managed with the guai.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-08, 05:52
Registered Member

Plan: Fm diet
Stats: 140/140/70 Female 5feet 7ins
BF:
Progress:

About me.....

i have had fibromyalgia pain since i was 14 years old.
i crashed with full blow-en fibromyalgia at the age of 16 years old
i was disabled in unbearable pain near to a year and it took the doctors
around 2 years to work out that i had fibromyalgia i have had an bad case of
fibromyalgia since day ONE! before i started my treatments i couldnt walk to the
shop next door to my home which was only 5 feet away from where i lived
at that point i was bedridden most of the time for such an very long time
walking for 5Min's would MAKE BE BEDRIDDEN! IN UNBEARABLE PAIN*&^
i never had an pain free day, hours weeks, hour, min ever in my whole life!
for over 10 years!!*&^(^% would feed junk food sweets chocolate down me everyday
i never smile i was so big and so unhappy then!
i had serve headaches for 10 years unstop no break before the treatments as well
i couldn't even go to church it was that bad!

Then One day a wake up saying thats IT!! i cant take this pain and hell anymore
so i sat on the Internet day and night and i mean it i was serching and printing
off fibromyalgia treatments 24 hours a day i have seen over 8 doctors and i have been
deny help from pain clincs and the whole of the English medical field turn around
and said to me that the whole of the medial feid cant help you they cant do anything
for fibromyalgia!!

But you think that would make me GIVE UP THEN YOU CAN THINK AGAIN! LOL
I HAD MORE FIRE POWER TO GET BETTER AND SAID TO MY SELF THATS IT I WILL DO IT MY SELF THEN
i have tried very so called Cure in a Bottle/Tin and i have tried pain meds pain meds only cause rebound pain and that's why they don't work they didn't even touch my pain One cm! i have done extreme Research into everything under the sun for many years

2 years later Today i have HAD OVER 200 PAIN FREE DAYS AND I WALK FOR 2 HOURS A DAY (5MILES A DAY) (35 MILES A WEEK)
There is No cure for fibromyalgia/cfs/me but there is hope as you can get better with the Guaifensin protocol/diet and exercise i still have to limit my life and i have to pace my self out if i aint careful then i will be bedridden for life BUT NOW I can have a part time life now as before the treatment i didnt have a Life!! i know i will get good days and im positive person now and now am going forward and not backwards forward is getting better and backwards is waiting around for the pain to go away and getting worse and worse to the point that i would have to be in a wheelchair going forward is doing something about it and going on the Guai protocol and working by backside of getting by life back am getting there slowly but that's better then never the lord will not help you if u will not help your selfs !

am here to help you if you want help in getting better am here for you as am healing slowly and i havent been so happy in my life

I HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO BUT I WILL NEVER GIVE UP ON GETTING MY FULL LIFE BACK I WORK HARD AND I GET MY BLESSINGS WITH GOOD AND PAIN FREE DAYS! IF I STAY WITHIN MY LIMITS AND DO MY TREATMENTS THAT WORK!! 100% IM WORKING TO GET MY FMS INTO REMISSION AND I HOPE THAT ONE DAY I WILL BE BLESSED WITH REMISSION FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!! WHEN I DO I WILL BE HAVING THE BIGGEST PARTY U HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!
WHO WANTS TO JOIN ME????????????????

WHAT TO DO GET THE BOOK CALLED
WHAT YOUR DOCTOR MAY NOT TELL YOU ABOUT FIBROMYALGIA
BY DR PAUL ST AMAND
AND READ IT AND FOLLOW THE PROTOCOL TO THE LETTER

FOLLOW HES HG DIET AND TAKE OUT RED MEAT AND WHITE FLOUR AND TOMATOES FOLLOW IT TO THE LETTER!

START AN WALKING PROGRAM DO IT EVERYDAY! NO MATTER WHAT!! DO IT!
GET THE BOOK CALLED FIBROMYALGIA COOKBOOK BY MARY MOELLER AND FOLLOW
DONT WORRY ABOUT THE HERBS AND SUPPLEMENTS U DONT NEED THEM TO GET BETTER AS THATS WHAT I HAVE DONE

ps i ONLY BUY CHEAP SAL FREE SHAMPOO AND SOAP FOR 2 YEARS NOW FROM MY LOACL SHOP

I HAVE HAD 2 MONTHS PAIN FREE ASWELL THIS YEAR IT WORKS
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-08, 04:01

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

my goodness! don't any of you U.S. folk have the 99 cent store or dollar tree? i can't remember which of the two it was, because i shop them so frequently, but i got generic mucinex, 60 tabs, 400 mg each, for a buck. it's the same stuff, works fine, just darn cheap. it's too bad it can't be sent across the borders. it sounds like the prices are so much better here.

Last edited by PlayDoh : Sun, Nov-30-08 at 11:53.