Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 18:58

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Have you read DANDR lately?

Often I find myself reminding newbies--and even oldies--to get their hands on a copy of Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution and read it from cover to cover. I've got three different editions (1972, 1992--my fave--and 2002) Each edition has its own flavor and a few distinctions. In this forum, I've run across many discussions of the various "rules"--and sometimes the seeming contradictions--that Dr. A put forth over the years. I can't always remember where I learned what, and I refer to one book or another quite frequently to check facts.

Today I was rereading my 2002 edition, just to find out if I still had my head on straight. It occurred to me that, while Dr. A's style is breezy and optimistic, he tends to downplay the complexity of working out low-carb as an ongoing lifestyle. Ultimately, it's not any "easier" to stick with Atkins than with any other diet in my long yo-yo history. For me, it's just pleasanter, more sustainable, and thus more effective in the long run.

Dr. A's CCLM (critical carb level for maintenance) is not easy to determine, and just like any other eating plan, this one requires constant accountability and awareness.

How can anybody can understand and cope with the many challenges of Atkins without reading the book? Y'know...it really helps.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-07, 20:24

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Good reminder. Come to think of it, I haven't opened that book in probably 2 years now. Might dust it off and leaf through it again.

I have no idea what my CCLM is...never have been able to figure that out since my weight fluctuates so wildly. Oh well...
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 06:34
Living LC 4 Life

Plan: Atkins-Maintenance
Stats: 190/133.2/150 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Less Than B4 LC
Progress: 142%

How funny you posted this Barbara because I just found my 1992 edition of DANDR yesterday, while I was clearing some bookshelves. It's been a while since I've read that version (not so long since I've read the 2002 version) and I thought to myself "Well, I'm just going to read this again".

I'd love to get a copy of the 1972 edition, and I've looked at our local used bookstores trying to find it, but haven't been lucky yet. I suppose I could try Ebay or Amazon, though.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 07:24
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

i got a 1972 on ebay, i also have the 1992 and 2002, and his 1978 SuperEnergy Diet, vitanutrient solution, the atkins shopping guide, and atkins for life, i like them all.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 07:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/138/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I just reread it and realized that after nearly 4 years I've never gone up the carb ladder with the absence of low carb products. For instance, I'd do the veggies,cheese, and nuts rungs, then add low carb bread and start making sandwiches.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 08:43

BF:

In the most recent versions of DANDR, Dr. A recommends the use of low-carb products--with the caveat that he's in the business.

In earlier editions, he actually anticipated the day when low-carb products would make low-carb eating easier and more acceptable, just as so-called low-fat products (and so-called sugar free) took over that other dietary world.

Unfortunately, the downside of processed foods seems to be the same either way. If you don't change your entire way of eating old habits still haunt you.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 10:13
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
In the most recent versions of DANDR, Dr. A recommends the use of low-carb products--with the caveat that he's in the business.

In earlier editions, he actually anticipated the day when low-carb products would make low-carb eating easier and more acceptable, just as so-called low-fat products (and so-called sugar free) took over that other dietary world.

Unfortunately, the downside of processed foods seems to be the same either way. If you don't change your entire way of eating old habits still haunt you.

I hope you all dont mind me coming here for this conversation being that I've not even read any of the Atkins books...but I've been reading on this forum for almost 3 yrs now and have a pretty good idea of what it is.

So my question to all of you is this, re: low carb breads.....low carb flour....I just don't get it about how these foods can be considered a good aspect of a low carb plan, other than the fact they are engineered to be low carb, these are highly processed foods and not very good for you.

Are you supposed to get your first 20 carbs from green fresh veggies? Or is it OK for you to count all your carbs starting with low carb breads....meaning that you can eat as many low carb breads a day as long as you don't go over 20 carbs total?

I see flour as such a "substance" that I've abused in the past that I'm always stunned when I see people eating them when they are at the start of the journey. I see them as a Maintenance food and not wise for weight loss.

I don't think that Dr Atkins did people any favors when he agreed to produce low carb products like flour. I also think that there is way too much left to interpretation because of this confusion.

I really like Atkins carb ladder and use it for myself and offer it to other South Beach users. The ladder itself does not even have any low carb products on it....and whole grains are last on the list, as you all know. So how does eating a low carb bread or other flour products fit?

IMO, low carb flour products need to be reserved until you are pre-maintenance, not when you are just starting out.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 12:40
Butter is Better!

since I followed the ladder, they came in on grains, there are some products I like, like lc wraps, and dreamfields, and they make Atkin's easier for me. Also for myself, I'd rather us a whole grain LC bread with 6 carbs then whole wheat, that would have 12 a slice, and use the rest of my carbs for the day on veggies and lc fruits.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 12:55

BF:

Personally, I've eliminated grain from my diet, period. No LC bake mixes, nothing. I've used almond flour for pie crust and breading from time to time. I've never bought low-carb tortillas, bake mixes, or Dreamfields pasta.

I'm not allergic to wheat as far as I know. It's just more convenient to live without. In maintenance, if I want a treat, I plan for it. Sometimes that treat will be a piece of fabulous homemade bread in a restaurant--but never the ordinary white bread variety. I have a "bake mix" recipe using soy flour and soy protein isolate. In fact, I have a bag of soy flour in the pantry. But I've never gotten around to making it.

Obviously, for others, having some type of bread or pasta product outweighs other considerations. Portion control is essential.

Usually I caution newbies about those low-carb products. It's all right to invite people to "design their own" version of Atkins. But only with the wisdom of experience. Experience starts with holding your feet to the fire and respecting the basics.

Last edited by bkloots : Sun, Feb-11-07 at 13:01.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 13:11

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

What is the name of the 1972 book?
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 15:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc

I don't think that Dr Atkins did people any favors when he agreed to produce low carb products like flour. I also think that there is way too much left to interpretation because of this confusion.

IMO, low carb flour products need to be reserved until you are pre-maintenance, not when you are just starting out.

I have to agree here. When I began lowcarbing in 2003, the two Atkins texts that were most widely available where DANDR and The Atkins Essentials. The latter contradicts the former in several places, and so I did, indeed, try to make my own way in the sea of low carb products (including bread!). For instance, AE allows Atkin's bread after the first two weeks. In retrospect, I'm fairly certain that that bread would have best been saved until the last rung of the carb ladder, low carb or not. Even the Atkins for Life Cookbook recommends its products...these were my references then. Didn't occur to me to question them, especially after feeling so darned good after induction.

I've found that I don't have a problem with flour in moderation, low carb or otherwise-- not at all, as long as I'm not trying to lose. I think it's one of those YMMV types of things, but agree that flour and grains should be saved for the last rung.

eta-- I've read many, many of the low carb/sugar/GI texts out there, and most of them, I've found, get pretty vague when it comes to maintaining...Atkins did the best job, IMO-- it's just his stupid company that made a muck of everything!

Last edited by thirteenlb : Sun, Feb-11-07 at 15:14.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 15:54

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

When I was still in weight-loss mode, I did begin using Carbquik on occasion when I really felt like I "needed" sometime bread-y. Since I continued to lose weight, I didn't sweat it. I have eaten Atkins bars, also occasionally when away from home and found them to be the best alternative to eating something "bad".

Now that I've been doing this for some time, I really don't use that stuff at all. My carbs come from veggies, fruits, dairy products and real, whole-grain products that I limit in quantity. Such as: TLC crackers, the whole-grain bread at my hubby's favorite restaurant, flat-breads, etc. I feel that the secret to eating these items is QUANTITY LIMITATION, which I cannot emphasize enough. No longer will I sit with a bag/box of grains of any sort and mindlessly shovel them in my face. I count crackers. I cut a tiny piece of bread. I eat a flat-bread only if I've had a vigorous workout, etc.

Other than my unreasonable amount of Splenda used in daily coffees/teas, I really limit the amount of "fake" foods I eat. Whether that's "Atkins" or not, I don't know. But it works for me.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 17:22
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by penelope
What is the name of the 1972 book?

Hers a link to the oldest book of his available at amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Atkins-Die...ie=UTF8&s=books

1981 paperback version of the orignal book, I think.

Hope this helps!!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 20:02
Butter is Better!

The 1972 book is "Dr Atkins Diet Revolution"
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-07, 20:32

BF:

[QUOTE=mammac-5]When I was still in weight-loss mode, I did begin using Carbquik on occasion when I really felt like I "needed" sometime bread-y. Since I continued to lose weight, I didn't sweat it. QUOTE]

I envy you...I think Carbquik is the best low carb product on the market. A single biscuit stalls my losses for the week. So...it's up the carb ladder for me-- last rung this time!