Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 08:25
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 207/200/180 Male 170 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Long time low carbers / maintenance?

Since I'm soon at my goal weight I have seriously started to think of my "life after weight loss". I am determined to keep this new weight and will not go back to bad habits. I never cheat and like the food of the low carb plans.

I would like to hear some experience from long time low carbers that eat for maintenance. How many carbs do you eat/day? I know it may vary a great deal, but I can add that I regard myself as being very sensitive to carbs. For weight loss I need to stay between 20 to 30 carbs/day. For maintance I start to believe that I can't eat many mores to keep my carb cravings away.

I am doing Atkins now but is reading about other low carb diets as well, to get some hints what to expect. I also see a connection between carbs and fat: Really low carbs and I can tolerate more calories (meaning more fat). Just a few cabs up and I need to start watching those calories as well unless I want to gain weight.

Just want to hear from some experienced low carbers and hear what kind of carb level you are on. Is there any low carb pogram that is regarded as being better than another in the aspect of life maintenance?

Regards

--Maria
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 10:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/176.5/145 Female 5 ' 5 "
BF:39%
Progress: 25%
Default Long time low carbers

I'm not a long time low carber, but I have read on the forum that if you excercise more, you can eat more carbs and still maintain. The question is-how much excercise vs. how many carbs extra??Does anyone know?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 15:49
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi Maria! Congratulations on being almost there!

I usually eat around 50-90 g carbs per day. It gets toward the higher end on days where I go out for dinner or to a club - it often involves beer. My strategy for "cheating" (for the lack of a better word) is to adopt a CAD-type strategy and try to have a full meal first - one that includes fiber and protein to slow down the carb absorption.

It sounds like you have a handle on what you body can and can't tolerate. In maintenance, you can always just add more of what you're already eating: more cheese, cream, perhaps some LC baking and desserts every now and then. Maybe a little more fruit and higher-carb veggies. You can experiment.

>>"Is there any low carb pogram that is regarded as being better than another in the aspect of life maintenance?"

I think they tend to resemble one another once you reach maintenance!

I can tell you from when I was off the exercise wagon compared to being back on that I can *definitely* tolerate more carbs thanks to resistance training. If you aren't already, do consider it. It doesn't have to be complicated; I haven't spent one penny on exercise. Resistance training improves your carb tolerance, makes you stronger, improves your self-confidence, make you look leaner, helps prevent bone loss, and just makes you feel good all 'round!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 14:01
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 207/200/180 Male 170 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Thanks

Thanks for the replys. I have given this somemore thoughts: I will slowly start to introduce a small fruit and one piece of (low carb) bread/day, to get some more fibers back to my diet (need them - veggies are not enough). Apart from that, I'll stick to the traditional low carb food as long as I can.

I think I need to keep my eyes closely on two things:
* The scale!
* Cravings!
I have so far been able to remove the food giving me cravings, hence I recognize the cravings immediately. It is a feeling that I used to call hunger - now I know better. Red wine, diet coke etc gives me cravings. Coffe is OK. I think I have found most of my "trigger foods".

I have ordered a couple of books to read thourgh (Atkins for Life is one) and will read and see what I find there. Barry Groves, eat fat get thin, also describes an easy way to eat for life IMO.

And yes: I excercise more now than I used to! Mostly because I am healthier and not as tired as I used to be! I have even started to appreciate morning walks and lift weights in front of the TV.

Regards

--Maria, in Sweden