Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 18:02

Plan: First Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/160/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default GRRRR Im so mad (Fast-food related rant)

Im on Day 9 of Phase 1 and doing everything in my power to stay on program and....

Tonite I took my kids to Wendy's. No problem, I figure I will get one of those nice salads with chicken that they have. Waited in line (1 register person - 7 billion people on line) for at least 20 minutes. My turn comes to order and I learn there are NO SALADS LEFT!! No salads at all!!!! Now Im angry AND hungry and I dont know what to do. There is nothing on the menu I can have, and I dont feel like taking buns off cheeseburgers and pretending thats on program.

So I order 5 nuggets. I was going to order nothing at all but I was afraid watching my kids chomp on fries would kill me and I would cave and eat them. So I ate the nuggets, not a single fry, which is amazing for me, and came home and ate some almonds in the hope of slowing the absorption of the bread on the nuggets.

How bad was this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 08:10

BF:

Thanks Guys. ;0
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 08:13

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

Ohhhh you poor thing! I think that it was better than chomping on ice cream and bread. Dont beat yourself up over it. You are doing great
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 08:14

BF:

Thank you! For real.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 08:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/191/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

Don't worry about it, Boom. You did the best you could in the situation. But actually, you'd have been better off ordering the cheeseburger with lettuce and mustard and no bun; that would have been on program. Nuts are not a part of induction.

One slip is not going to derail your entire program. Look at the bright side: you've already lost 50 pounds and that's nothing to sneeze at! You should be proud of that and just keep on keeping on.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 08:25

BF:

Azure Im on SB not Atkins! Nuts are part of Phase 1! And fatty cuts of beef plus full fat cheese are not. Thanks tho!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 08:38

BF:

Oh. Sorry about that but the Plan under your avatar says Atkins. Perhaps you should change that.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 08:39

BF:

But this is the South Beach Forum!!!

But I will change it. I was on Atkins for several months.

And this thread makes me laugh a little.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 09:00

BF:

Yes, it is getting goofy in here.

I came in through the "Today's Posts" list and didn't notice it was the South Beach forum. Hell, I didn't know there was a South Beach forum. LOL!

Have a good day

P.S. Your stats changed drastically! Congrats on getting from 350's to 160's. You are an inspiration to us all.

Last edited by AzureMoon : Wed, Jan-14-04 at 09:01.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 09:01

BF:

Well now that you are here, sit down and stay a while. We need some action in this place.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 09:02

BF:

LOL.. I'm not South Beach, I'm Atkins. And I need to get back to work!

I'll pop back in around lunch time.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 09:14
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Boom

The breading on the nuggets probably had minimal glycemic impact because the fat and protein would've slowed down absorption. Speaking of fat though, deep-fried foods aren't the best choice because polyunsaturate oil heated to high temps is a major source of trans fats. If you like chili, their Value Meal size might be a reasonable option. There's a very small amount of naturally saturated fat from the beef, but no trans fats .. while the beans (allowed on Phase 1) and veggie chunks are low glycemic and provide a decent amount of fiber.

Wendy's has nutrition information posted at their website .. so might be worth printing it out if you go there regularly. FWIW, 5 pc chicken nuggets have 13g carbs (no fiber) from the breading. A small bowl of chil has 16g net carbs (21g total minus 5g fiber).

Anyway, sorry you had such a frustrating experience, that really sucks!! Y'know, it would've taken an employee less than a minute to scribble a sign "no more salad" and stick it up so folks in line could either make another choice while they waited or maybe even go someplace else

hth,

Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 09:17

BF:

Thanks Doreen. That was really helpful. I have to get out of the mindset of trying to choose the thing with the least amount of carbs, which is what I got used to on Atkins. I thought about the chili but decided against it because of the chopped meat but if I thought of the deep fry effect I would have realized this. Thanks so much. And I agree about the sign, but you know they dont want anyone walking out. It made me mad.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 20:10
SeeMyself

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
hi Boom

Speaking of fat though, deep-fried foods aren't the best choice because polyunsaturate oil heated to high temps is a major source of trans fats.
Doreen

Whooo, help me out here Doreen

I am confussed again, it's not the first time for my confussion and definately won't be my last time

I usually use olive oil, peanut oil and butter, I also use canola oil to fry, it says mono's 9g and poly's 4 gram, will that little bit of polyunsaturate (4gm) change to trans fats when I heat "that canola oil" to fry? That is the one fat I am running from like the plague. ?

Please answer and thanks....

Last edited by SeeMyself : Wed, Jan-14-04 at 20:21.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 21:01
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMyself
..I usually use olive oil, peanut oil and butter, I also use canola oil to fry, it says mono's 9g and poly's 4 gram, will that little bit of polyunsaturate (4gm) change to trans fats when I heat "that canola oil" to fry? That is the one fat I am running from like the plague. ?

hi See,

Pan-frying and sautéeing are fine to use any of the fats you listed

The problem with deep-frying is the extremely high temperature used and the risk that the oil may be heated beyond its "smoking point" which is where it converts to a cis or trans fat. Also, in fast food places the oils are used over and over .. each time the oil is heated then cooled, the smoking point is lowered thus increasing the likelihood of trans fat formation.

(BTW, I checked the Wendy's website again, and they used partially hydrogenated soybean oil for frying)

hth,

Doreen