Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#241   ^
Old Fri, May-20-16, 08:12
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
To all on this Dr Jason Fung discussion, please read this important post from moderator Doreen from the IF thread: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...3&postcount=178.

That link no longer works, as the thread has been removed. Here is my post:

Quote:
Concerns have been raised over the increased use of extended water-only fasts and other forms of severely restricted nourishment for prolonged periods of time. This is in contrast to the various published IF (Intermittent Fasting) protocols which advocate short-duration "fasts" of 18 to 24 hours, with optimal nutrition on non-fasting days in between.

Short-duration IF has been shown to be safe for weight loss in overweight and obese adults. However, even the expert authors of these IF programs recommend prolonged fasting ONLY under medical supervision. Here at Active Low-Carber, we are in full agreement with this position.

Please note that Forum Rule #2 states:
Quote:
... It is beyond the scope of our support community to prescribe a diet plan for you, so we encourage you to consult your doctor and read one or more of the published program books. Once you've decided which plan is right for you, we are here to help you along the way. Please note, we only discuss published plans, not proprietary, clinic-only type of plans as these require personal and/or professional supervision, and we cannot give medical advice or service..
Thus .. seeking support, encouragement and/or promotion of prolonged fasting is consdered beyond the scope of this forum and such discussion is not appropriate here. We understand that some members may indeed be under medical supervision for such a regimen; if they want to document their experience it should be confined to the relative privacy of their journal.

Thanks for understanding,

Doreen, Forum Founder
Sponsored Links
  #242   ^
Old Fri, May-20-16, 08:28

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

These guidelines make sense, thanks.
  #243   ^
Old Fri, May-20-16, 15:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 298/294/175 Male 70'
BF:
Progress:

I just wanted to say thank you to Jey100,Teaser,GRB5111, for all the helpful information you all have given me in the past. It has made my LCHF journey a little easier, and even though my positive results and not forth coming, I will be patient and endure.

Thomas1951
  #244   ^
Old Fri, May-20-16, 17:30

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanie
The patient's question:
"I have been doing a 22 hr fast 5 days a week since the last 2 months or so. My last meal was at 6pm yesterday evening. Even at this moment, I’m feeling freezing cold. And my hands and feet are like ice. The only time the cold feeling goes away is if I go for a walk in the sun."

Dr. Fung's Response:
"You may need to change strategies slightly, as your metabolism may be slowing significantly. This used to happen to me too. I added back some days of eating lots of high fat foods (butter, cream, nuts, avocado) to give my body some calories to burn. The weight loss was not as effective, but I felt better."
Jeanie,
Thanks for this info. I was trying to do IF yesterday and found myself feezing. I just assumed my office was cold, but no one else seemed that cold. I had some pork rinds as that was the only thing available. I warmed right up! Back when I was IF'ing more frequently, I was cold at work all the time. Again I thought it was the office, but maybe it was really just me! I will pay more attention now.
  #245   ^
Old Fri, May-20-16, 21:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 265/165/145 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

I read your post,and added broth and CO to my 2 day fast...and then I lost nothing! I was really bummed. I continued to google feeling cold while fasting. I found several sites where they said that when you are fasting, your blood circulates more around your vital organs, in order to provide them with nourishment. That leaves less blood flowing to your extremities, which can make you feel cold. Next week I will try fasting again and just add a sweater! Wish I knew for sure...don't want to lower my metabolism, but it also seemed ridiculous that I would fast for 2 days and not lose at all. Oh--one other thing could have done that--the broth I drank had msg, and in my readings I found that msg is a super high insulin stimulator. So, that was a bad choice for me.
  #246   ^
Old Sat, May-21-16, 02:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Lauri, please read Doreen's post above, #241. Maybe consider longer eating Windows on a fasting day or alternate/random days of eating 3 full typical LC meals to prevent lowering REE. I get very cold at times and use it as a sign to have a double salted broth and then if not enough, to eat. My fasting is very random now, more really Dr Westman's "eat when hungry" plan.

Thomas, if you are saying that you followed the fasting you had planned in your previous posts, and have lost no weight nor had any improvements in your FBG, my only advice would be as I wrote before. Either see a new doctor at the VA, or if possible, one privately, and show him exactly what you have been doing with your meal timing and foods and the BG results. Rule out a fluid imbalance caused by infections, or thyroid, pancreas, endocrine issues, maybe change medications ....anything that may be preventing at least some weight loss (still 294?) and improved glucose control.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, May-21-16 at 03:54.
  #247   ^
Old Sat, May-21-16, 05:20

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Good advice. Also, Lauri--you do have to consider that you've already successfully lost a lot more weight than what you're trying to lose. Being at a reduced body weight will make things slow down, for most people. Dr. Fung's protocols can probably help with that, but I don't know if they can remove it completely. I know myself, within a fairly narrow weight range--if I'm at 170 pounds, fasting for a day is easy, but if I'm down around 154 pounds--then I'm more likely to be lethargic, maybe cold, probably hungry, and also more prone to binges coming out of a fast. In myself, at least when it comes to weight regulation, I've come to the conclusion that the leaner I am, the less aggressive my fasts should be. Admittedly I don't always follow my own understanding.

If you look at calorie restriction approaches to weight loss--you can find any number of blog posts where some personal trainer/fitness guru will tell you that as you lose weight, your metabolism slows--and then they'll tell you to recalculate your metabolic rate, and restrict your calories more and more strictly, until you reach goal. This is a reasonable approach for a bodybuilder in his twenties, on steroids, who needs to get down to five or six percent bodyfat to compete. Except for the part about it being reasonable.

The major problem here of course, is that becoming more and more aggressive as you become lighter might be effective for further weight loss--but maybe you're just coiling the springs of the body's hormonal etc. machinery that drives rebound, once you return to a more moderate approach. The argument against the idea of starvation mode I see most often put forward is that no matter how slow the metabolism gets, you can always undereat to a point below what the body's capable of lowering its metabolism to. True enough--but also very true that at some point, the trade off just isn't worth it. I think low carb and intermittent fasting do push the envelope--the lower insulin levels allowing readier access, perhaps, and use of fat for energy at a lower level of body fat stores, but I don't think that's an immunity as such, all it takes is a couple of days of SAD meals and you're liable to feel as deprived as you would have if you'd lost the weight through white-knuckled calorie restriction.
  #248   ^
Old Sat, May-21-16, 08:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Laurie, you are an inch and a half taller than I am, and, starting at 184, the place I'd gotten after 3 years of SAD type "dieting", I'm now, nearly 3 more years later, just below 155.

One of the things that this WOE teaches us, I think, no matter how much we have to lose, is patience. Stupid patience! Who likes patience! We want to see constant progress, and when we don't, we want to tweak things to speed them up.

But maybe the slowing down in your weight loss, and the other issues, are your body yelling at you to knock it off. As both Janet and teaser say, we just don't know what's going on inside. But the symptoms you are noting, if they are resolved by eating, seem to point to maybe too much fasting, don't they?

One of the good things about that whole patience deal is that, if we learn to practice it, the weight loss will happen while we're not, necessarily, looking.

If I celebrate the smallest sized pants I've ever worn, and stop moaning about the continuing pooch of my belly, I will lose a pound over the course of a month, and not really notice it, even though I'm weighing daily. It feels so glacially slow that it's nearly imperceptible. But it happens, nevertheless.

Give your body and your metabolism enough to work with, and you can keep feeling wonderful as you continue to lose.
  #249   ^
Old Sun, May-22-16, 11:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauriSinge
Oh--one other thing could have done that--the broth I drank had msg, and in my readings I found that msg is a super high insulin stimulator. So, that was a bad choice for me.

Absolutely avoid MSG! I find that when I eat food "closer to the source" it seems to agree with me more.

This slowing as we near our goal is very very common. And there's no end of things people have tried to speed it up. But the body is adjusting to a newer, smaller, size, and all that it entails.

Patience, as MickiSue suggests, is often what works the best.

This is also a time to work on health issues; which can absolutely stand in your way.
  #250   ^
Old Sun, May-22-16, 13:12

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Exactly the place for it.

And speaking of various IF timings, I follow a few other fasting proponents, like Brad Pilon and Bert Herring (Fast-5) Bert just sent an email about HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST INTERMITTENT FASTING REGIMEN or How's That Working For You?

He of course likes his own five hour window plan, but also gives more information about Biggest Loser trainer, Bob Harper and others. He suggests a "Fasting Day Equivalent" calculation that is helpful in choosing different protocols.

http://www.bertherring.com/how-to-c...fasting-regimen

I found the chart and the idea of FDE's really interesting. I suppose we each could plot a chart for our optimal results based on our own FDE. At the moment I only fast 2-3 times a week with an eating window of about 1 hour (sometimes 3 hours if I need a bite of avo to break the fast before I make dinner), but I can figure out my FDE given the math from the chart.

Thanks again for the great links!

Kat
  #251   ^
Old Sun, May-22-16, 19:26
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 144/140/125 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction if this topic has been covered here or on Dr Fung's website.

Protein turnover is going on constantly and I was taught (admittedly a long time ago!), that lean tissue would be broken down to release essential amino acids during fasting so that protein synthesis of essential proteins could continue. This would likely result in loss of lean muscle mass. Yet, Dr Fung categorically states that this does not happen.

I have been unable to find a convincing explanation for why/how muscle mass would be preserved while fasting, even in the presence of growth hormone.
  #252   ^
Old Sun, May-22-16, 21:43

BF:

Quote:
Thomas, if you are saying that you followed the fasting you had planned in your previous posts, and have lost no weight nor had any improvements in your FBG, my only advice would be as I wrote before. Either see a new doctor at the VA, or if possible, one privately, and show him exactly what you have been doing with your meal timing and foods and the BG results. Rule out a fluid imbalance caused by infections, or thyroid, pancreas, endocrine issues, maybe change medications ....anything that may be preventing at least some weight loss (still 294?) and improved glucose control.

Thomas - Janet hits on all the usual suspects here, and it's likely there's some underlying issue that is hindering your efforts. Certain medications such as beta blockers for blood pressure can conflict with weight loss attempts, for example. It's time for you to reach out to someone to do a deeper dive here and hopefully find a root cause. Let us know how you progress with this. Good luck!
  #253   ^
Old Mon, May-23-16, 06:50

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction if this topic has been covered here or on Dr Fung's website.

Protein turnover is going on constantly and I was taught (admittedly a long time ago!), that lean tissue would be broken down to release essential amino acids during fasting so that protein synthesis of essential proteins could continue. This would likely result in loss of lean muscle mass. Yet, Dr Fung categorically states that this does not happen.

I have been unable to find a convincing explanation for why/how muscle mass would be preserved while fasting, even in the presence of growth hormone.

You absolutely will lose some lean mass during a fast. Growth hormone and ketosis may help to minimize this, by encouraging oxidation of fat vs. glucose or protein, but they don't eliminate it. But the hormonal response to fasting also encourages the body to regain lean mass on refeeding.

https://intensivedietarymanagement....asting-part-14/

Quote:
What happens to protein? Well, the amount of protein consumed goes down. There is certainly a baseline low level of protein turnover, but my point is that we do not start ramping up protein consumption. We don’t start burning muscle, we start conserving muscle.

Sometimes Dr. Fung might not make it absolutely clear that during the fast itself, he's talking about a decrease in net protein oxidation/breakdown rather than a total shutdown, but where he goes into greater detail he does make this point.

Quote:
Sometimes you will hear a dietician say that the brain ‘needs’ 140 grams of glucose a day to function. Yes, that may be true, but that does NOT mean that you need to EAT 140 grams of glucose a day. Your body will take the glucose it needs from your fat stores. If you decide to EAT the 140 grams instead, your body will simply leave the fat on your ass, hips, and waist. This is because the body will burn the sugar instead of the fat.

I have seen online articles that claim this, that the body will be forced to break down massive amounts of protein to produce glucose.

Quote:
But let’s look at some clinical studies in the real world. In 2010, researchers looked at a group of subjects who underwent 70 days of alternate daily fasting (ADF). That is, they ate one day and fasted the next. What happened to their muscle mass?

Their fat free mass started off at 52.0 kg and ended at 51.9 kg. In other words, there was no loss of lean weight (bone, muscle etc.). There was, however, a significant amount of fat lost. So, no, you are not ‘burning muscle’, you are ‘burning fat’. This, of course, is only logical. After all, why would your body store excess energy as fat, if it meant to burn protein as soon as the chips were down? Protein is functional tissue and has many purposes other than energy storage, whereas fat is specialized for energy storage. Would it not make sense that you would use fat for energy instead of protein? Why would we think Mother Nature is some kind of crazy?

If this was the only thing somebody read or heard from Dr. Fung, especially the red, I can see how they could get the impression that he's saying people won't lose lean mass during a fast. The point here is that with single day fasts, or with condensed eating window type daily fasting, the protocol as a whole, as long as it includes enough protein/energy on average when you include both the feeding and the fasting time periods, loss of lean mass is no worse than it would be with a three (or even six) square meals type diet plan, and might even actually be better.
  #254   ^
Old Mon, May-23-16, 07:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
If this was the only thing somebody read or heard from Dr. Fung, especially the red, I can see how they could get the impression that he's saying people won't lose lean mass during a fast. The point here is that with single day fasts, or with condensed eating window type daily fasting, the protocol as a whole, as long as it includes enough protein/energy on average when you include both the feeding and the fasting time periods, loss of lean mass is no worse than it would be with a three (or even six) square meals type diet plan, and might even actually be better.

And fasting might certainly be better than purposeful calorie restriction, which is what I believe is your message. Points are well taken as fasting appears to have the ability to limit loss of lean mass, not prevent.
  #255   ^
Old Mon, May-23-16, 11:16
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 144/140/125 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

Thank you, Teaser. My job is to read scientific manuscripts and so am inclined to take all statements very literally - I need to keep in mind that Dr Fung is simplifying the science. However, I think I would be concerned about lean tissue loss if I were doing the extended day fasting protocols.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
fasting appears to have the ability to limit loss of lean mass, not prevent.
That is a good way of looking at it.

Thanks again.