Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-05, 23:25

Plan: Restarted LCHF 1/22/17
Stats: 288.8/160.2/135 Female 5' 1.5"
BF:66.1%/33.5%/24%
Progress: 84%

Do you have to use carb quick for this? i haven't found that around here. Can i use almond flour instead?
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 11:34

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I used my MiniCarb apple cinnamon pancake mix this morning.

1/4 c mix
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
1 egg
DaVinci SF caramel syrup until consistancy of cake batter

This quantity made two regular size muffins. The pancake mix likes to really fluff up high. I did not add a levening agent as it's already in the mix. I also omitted oil and butter. I've discovered that it's not at all necessary with the MiniCarb pancake mix.

Calories each: 116
Fat grams: 4
Protein grams: 18.5
Net carbs: 1

I'll be making these the next time with the addition of some SF applesauce added into the batter. This will give them a lovely moisture. I'll sprinkle cinnamon and Splenda over them for a topping. Made as muffins, these travel exceptionally well. DH loved his in his lunch today.
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 15:08

I ended up trying this last night. I didn't have any of the LC bake mixes, but had flax meal and almond flour. I used those with a little bit of baking powder, some SF maple syrup, and nuked it. I had to nuke it for like 3 minutes though before it even started to get a bready-consistency. It was very dense, but i sprinkled some cinnamon and splenda on it and it tasted good. Maybe I should have added an egg in there....
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 17:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 318/243.4/160 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:60%/41.85%/23%
Progress: 47%

You know, this sounds really cool. I have question though. I'd like to make this primarily for my husband but I need to alter it so he can have it. My husband can't have wheat gluten, sugar or honey, fruit, lactose or wheat or oats. Even though he weighs 150 and 6ft tall he basically eats low carb. The only exceptions is that he can't have low carb packaged foods because most of them have some sort of oats or wheat gluten in them.

Ok so the thing is he really misses bread or the semblance of breads or brownies. If I used 1/2 cornstarch (he can handle that) and 1/2 almond flour along with baking soda would this work just as well? I'm also not sure of the ingredients in the DaVinci syrups and if they are ok. Any advice would be great!

I do know that gluten will make bread and other things stretchy. If that Carbquik has gluten then it will be hard to duplicate that. Have any of you made this stuff without using atkins bake mix or carbquick?

Making quick single servings would really help us out

Julie Huck
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 19:29

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Julie:

for one serve, mix:

1/4c almond meal
1 egg
vanilla
1 heaping tbsp pure cocoa
1/4c cream
sweetener of choice

Cover with plastic wrap, slit top, nuke for 86 seconds.
This will be like a brownie. If he is ok with cream or LC ice cream, top with that.

Val
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 20:01

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 402/299/200 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 51%

I tweaked the recipe found here: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/recip.../8/cat/5/page/1

instead of the soy flour, I used almond meal, but everything else was the same.

Actually, that's not true because I added walnuts and unsweetened coconut. But I kept the rest of the basic recipe the same.

I topped it with cream cheese frosting: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/recip.../8/cat/5/page/3
(btw, I halved the recipe for the frosting, and I still only used less than half of what I made)
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 20:44

Wow! Thanks Tigerstar and Val!
We're unsure how he handles sugar alcohols which I think LC Ice Cream has but He can have whipped cream and so I think I'll top the brownie with that. And for the 3 min chocolate cake... I had forgotten that he can have soy flour so I think I would try half soy and half almond...

I'm going to make both of those versions this weekend and I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you

Julie Huck
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 23:03

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Julie, all the grocery stores in my area carry Bob's Red Mill products that can be found in the baking section. My health food store has them also.

There is a Bob's Red Mill Wheat Free Biscuit & Baking Mix that is wheat and gluten free. It is made from stone ground white rice and garbanzo bean flours, xantan gum and aluminum free baking powders.

Two days ago I made DH, who is on Maintenance, muffins that were identical in looks, taste and texture to devils food cake. I added some chocolate whey protein powder, unsweetened cocoa, an egg, Hood's chocolate milk and SF DaVinci chocolate syrup until it mixed into a cake batter consistancy. Just like devils food cake in every way that I remember, only without any sugar and less carbs. It can be used for biscuits, pancakes, waffles, shortcake, etc. The back of the package has a wonderful recipe for Impossible Ham & Swiss Pie.

This stuff could be just what you're looking for to meet DH's dietary needs.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-05, 14:38

Plan: Atkins-SB hybrid
Stats: 140/124/110 Female 5 ft.
BF:30%/23.5%/20%
Progress: 53%

omg~ thank you so much for this!!! I tried it today with just a simple flaxseed meal, baking powder, egg, butter, and a bit of cream. Although it did NOT turn out to be like a muffin, it was a GREAT DINNER ROLL! So happy now because it tasted great with pepper and olive oil!!!! Oh the things I love from my pre-LC day!!! and best of all, less than 5 mins of prep/making time! What more can I ever ask for! Thank you!!!

I'll definitely keep on trying this idea and see what other yummy things I can come up with out of this microwave and flaxseed meal thing!
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Apr-24-05, 12:38

I added some egg to my recipe of this and made a "cinnamon toast" bowl muffin. Excellent! I made a single serving

2 Tbsp ground flax seed
2 Tbsp almond flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 an egg
1 Tbsp SF sryup (I use walden farms)
1 packet splenda
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
water to make a batter

Nuked it for 3 minutes and had a nice warm, sweet treat for a bedtime snack after the concert last night!

YUM! Thanks for this idea!
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-05, 10:43

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%

I tried this last night with the minicarb bake mix, flaxseed meal, SF hazelnut syrup, splenda and an egg. And it was pretty good. It will be better with some lc chocolate chunks in the future.

The portion for me was too big. I'll have to half it next time. My tummy felt like it was going to explode the rest of the night (apparently it's an excellent appetite suppressant too )

I am going to try a cheese variety today to possibly use as 'bread' for my tuna.

Thanks for sharing!
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-05, 10:48

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%

I tried the cheese variety. Actually I used 1/3 c minicarb bake mix, 1 T flaxseed meal, 1/4 t baking powder, 1/8 c colby cheese, 1 egg, spices (salt, garlic salt, italian herb mix). I nuked it in a casserole dish to make it flat - more bread like.

I ate half yesterday with tuna on it and this morning I cut the other half in half, put more cheese in the middle and nuked for 30 seconds to melt the cheese. It was soooo good!
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 14:31

Plan: To Stay Sane
Stats: 275/239.4/224 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 70%

Am excited to try this out! Has anyone tried the pizza version of it? How'd it turn out?

Also, Terri's links for the 3 min cake is right on!! I love that thing -- so easy and these sound like it, too!! And thanks for the link to the cream cheese frosting. I might double the recipe (for the cake) and make it for Mother's Day (and not tell anyone that it's all sf!! )
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 09:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Corn starch is definitely not low carb and doesn't replace gluten, I don't think. Try using a mixture of almond meal (or almond flour) and flax meals. You might try a little soy flour too, if you can tolerate the taste. Flax has stuff in it that becomes gluey when it touches water. Carbquik is made from wheat, so you should avoid that. You'll have to add baking soda because CQ has baking soda in it. Probably 1/4 tsp is plenty. Experiment! You can always throw away the failures.

Oh another thought, whey protein would work too, its a finer flour than flax or almond too. I'd probably mix all three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Huck
Ok so the thing is he really misses bread or the semblance of breads or brownies. If I used 1/2 cornstarch (he can handle that) and 1/2 almond flour along with baking soda would this work just as well? I'm also not sure of the ingredients in the DaVinci syrups and if they are ok. Any advice would be great!
  #60   ^
Old Mon, May-02-05, 09:13

So far we've tried three versions. They were all yummy but I think it still has potential for even more improvement. We did the brownie/cake version with almond flour, and we did the brownie/cake version with soy flour. (I liked the almond one better and my husband liked the soy flour version better LOL) And I made a microwave mini cheesecake version which was dangerously good! I think I still have a lot of experimenting left to do.

Hey Nancy, I know cornstarch isn't low carb but that's ok because my husband is 6ft tall and 150 lbs so if he can handle it and if it provides a smooth texture without an aftertaste and doesn't have the wheat gluten in it that will tear up his intestine then it's a good choice for him. Also, we have a large jar of xanthan gum (probably only need 1/2 tsp in bowl muffins). I plan to see how that helps with the texture of it. You're right though. Nothing really behaves the same way as wheat gluten. I'm staying away from the flax for him because he's not supposed to have a lot of fiber right now. He'll be able to try it after a while.

Hey Dawna I have actually heard of the gluten free mixes. However, my husband can't use them because he has a problem with rice flour which is what most of them use. (rice flour apparently has a more sticky, gummy like property than other gluten-free flours) But Ted can use potato flour and corn starch and corn flour and soy flour so I'll work with these and do what i can. Whey protein powder...I'm unsure about that because he can't handle any lactose (even the little bit in microwave popcorn for crying out loud!) Do you know if Whey protein has any lactose in it?

Thanks For all your help! I'll let you know if I come up with any thing Low Carb that's amazing!

Julie Huck