Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 17:53

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

I don't have access to all these lowcarb breads but I don't seem to be missing much from what I can tell.

What I do is make my own lowcarb bread. It's pretty good, nice texture, kinda earthy. The principle ingredients are almond meal, gluten flour, bran, and a very small amount of real flour. The taste of bran is a little strong but I am getting used to it. All in all not a bad bread, especially if you top it with something.

That zucchini bread looked good but I refuse to use anything as outrageously expensive as Atkins Mix. Not that I could find it around here anyway.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 18:04
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 267/248/195
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally posted by mystery2u
What about nature's own, does anyone indulge in that.

I love it!! 5 grams net carbs!

Hey mystery2u! I live in Richmond, VA too! I posted a thread last week asking if anyone one had tried Nature's Own reduced carb bread. They sell it at Ukrops and at Food Lion. Can't wait to try it once I get to OWL. (I've cheated twice w/white bread since on induction, but I've promised myself no more. Can't wait to get to OWL)

kdog - out
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 18:23
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I think that Nature's Own Premium Wheat Reduce Carbohydrate bread tastes great. I buy it at my local supermarket for $2.19 a loaf and it has an ECC of 5 g carb per slice.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 18:42

Plan: checking out Atkins plan
Stats: 140/128/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default spinach bread

I have a recipe for spinach bread that I just love. I toast it after I bake it, and it works for me as a *sandwich maker*
maybe not what you're looking for, but I think it is an excellent substitue
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 20:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

whole foods in ann arbor (mich) sells 2 varieties of low carb bread. one frozen and one fresh (to be frozen)

i bought the fresh one last weekend, but have yet to try it.

it's called natural ovens bakery, 'low carb 1', natural grains bread. 11 carbs - 8 fiber = 3/slice.

the frozen one had less fiber, and I figured, I might as well get my fiber in at the same time.
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 20:55
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 267/248/195
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally posted by CarolynC
I think that Nature's Own Premium Wheat Reduce Carbohydrate bread tastes great. I buy it at my local supermarket for $2.19 a loaf and it has an ECC of 5 g carb per slice.

I have asked about this bread in other posts for the past week and I get the same reaction - it tastes great. I'm buying a loaf when I get to OWL.

kdog - out.
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 11:19

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

Key term there is "Wheat" which I am allergic too...

I am like the monkey who gets an electric shock every time it eats a banana. Pretty soon the monkey is going, "forget the banana!" I just don't want wheat products anymore!
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 18:48

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

CandyLuver and Angelina

Could you post the recipes for the breads you described? All the bread recipes I've seen use ingredients I can't buy here so it would be nice to get your recipes.

Thanks!
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 19:01

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185.5/162/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Smile Quick easy bread

Hi all,

Never did this before but my DH and I love this bread and the many variations of it that we've tried.
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 19:17

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185.5/162/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Angry Bread, pancakes, cereal - Yum

Wow - closed another window (pop-up) and BAM - my message was gone.

Anyway -

Soften a packet of cream cheese.
Stir in two eggs
teaspoon of baking soda
generous 1/2 cup of any vanilla shake mix (cheapest at WalMart for me)
generous 1/2 cup of flax seed meal (at ShopRite around here)

add whatever comes to mind.

Bake at 350 until light brown - about 20 minutes.

Our favorite add ins are blueberries and walnuts and/or coconut.

Maple flavoring is nice.

Sometimes I throw some DaVinci syrup in - Dulce De Leche with nuts is great.

Have made it without the cream cheese - DH likes it as well as the original but I don't. It's O.K. though.

Use one egg, 2 oz cream cheese (or none), dash of baking soda and equal parts shake mix and meal (I don't measure - I just dump) and thin out with cream and/or water and you'll have pancakes that are the best.

Shake mix and flax meal makes a great hot cereal - try with some fruit mixed in. Better than the Keto mix, especially when you compare cost. Thin down with the DaVinci and any flavor is possible.

Very easy and not too expensive. Hope you like the bread.

Barb
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-03, 05:45

Plan: checking out Atkins plan
Stats: 140/128/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default spinach bread

scarlet, I copied this from a low cal recipe site somewhere, and I don't even remember where. I've made it several times, and I really like it. It's good just toasted in the toaster oven and put butter on it.

One batch will make two sandwiches. It's also getting your veggies and fiber all in one sandwich.
1 box chopped frozen spinach (defrosted and water squeezed out)
4 eggs
I add...
Parmesan Cheese
bacon bits
salt & Pepper
minced garlic
paprika
dehydrated onion.
All of this is to your taste.
Mix it all together.
Grease a square pan for thick bread or a rectangle pan for thinner bread. I make mine in a rectangle pan for the thinner looking bread. Now, the trick is to really grease your pan well with butter, then with pam or it will not come out. bake at 400 for 15 minutes or until firm. Let cool and using a spatula go around the edges and start to pry it up. It will be a little hard at first but then it will get easier once you get the sides started. It will come out in one piece. I cut in half twice and make two sandwiches. I toast them on the stove and add provolone, ham, turkey and grill it like a grilled cheese. Serve with mayo and mustard I have worked the bread recipe to be only 9 grams for the whole thing.
  #72   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 16:02

Stats: 160/150.5/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Shelly,

I have a few suggestions. First, I agree with you that the La Tortilla LC tortillas are a bit different tasting. BUT they cook up well in some recipes. I can't stand to simply microwave one and then throw some scrambled eggs in it as it is just too odd tasting. However, I have made a yummy Mexican casserole with them and the flavor/texture of the tortillas, once baked, is totally benign. Here is the link to my recipe.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=98271

I read that you can't eat wheat. So I don't really have a bread suggestion for you, per se, other than to say that the Atkins Country White (ready made) bread isn't terrible, but not sure about the wheat content.

For anyone else who is reading this thread, I will, however, share what I finally wound up doing for my bread. Well after induction I started looking for the lowest carb bread I could find in the REGULAR grocery store. Of course, this meant looking at the whole grain breads only. Well, lo' and behold I found a bread that is 5.5 ECC per slice. It is called Oroweat 100% Whole Wheat Light. I'm not particularly crazy about all the ingredients in it (it does have frutose listed on the label), BUT it tastes good straight out of the bag, toasted, as french toast, etc. AND is readily available at the grocery store and is priced like regular bread. So, to me, it is overall low in carbs (very close to LC breads), mostly healthy (being whole wheat), and tastes good. So I just thought I'd share this info with others. Maybe I'll create a seperate post to tell others about it.

Take care and good luck with your bread quest.

Jill in Phoenix

P.S. If you like (and miss) Mexican food, try my recipe posted above!
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 15:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default Re: My Recipie

Quote:
Originally posted by thininBC
Let me know how you like it. HTH .

Is this good looking recipe posted in the LowCarb Kitchen Forum, or in the Readers' Recipes section on the website?

That would be a great place to share it, if not...more people look there for great recipes.
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 15:53

Plan: Atkins/CAD/Now?
Stats: 216/210.5/110?? Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

I like those tortilla shells!!

Anyway I buy Healthy Life bread at wal mart which is low carb. 8g per slice and it comes in wheat white and italian
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 23:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hmm... I actually like the lowcarb bread at TJ's. First couple times I had it it tasted a little weird, but then I adapted.