Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-08, 12:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

I am on Vitamin D already and have seen no decrease in my fibromayolga.
I do water exercises because thats all I can do. we have a pool so I can use it daily.
Cannot walk very good bacause of arthritis knees so water right now water theraphy is all I can do.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-08, 14:43
revcharlie

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyPoo
I am on Vitamin D already and have seen no decrease in my fibromayolga.
I do water exercises because thats all I can do. we have a pool so I can use it daily.
Cannot walk very good bacause of arthritis knees so water right now water theraphy is all I can do.

I cannot say anything with regard to the fibro since I don't have it, but I do have severe arthritis in my knees. Low Carb, especially the elimination of grains, has enabled me to go from almost disabling pain to being able to walk easily - even though the climate I have moved to has exacerbated the arthritis.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-08, 15:18
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by revcharlie
especially the elimination of grains

Bingo!!

Sissypoo...how much D3 are you taking? Maybe not enough?
I take D3 2000 iu twice a day.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-08, 15:26

Plan: Wii + CCing
Stats: 241/241/170 Female 5'11"
BF:ER! Yep...
Progress: 0%

I know this pain...ARG! I had no kind of pain before my severe back injury...The injury flared up CFS and Fibro....

My doctor prescribed Lyrica, but when I went to fill it, my insurance denied it and it was expensive. So, I never got to try it...

I do take a pain med. cocktail everyday, but when my fibro kicks into high gear, nothing helps...

May consider adding Vit D to see it that does anything...
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-08, 16:28

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I keep my fibro relatively under control by doing a number of different things:

1) I take cod liver oil, magnesium, and apple cider vinegar. I used to take a supplement containing magnesium and malic acid, but I lost my source for that combined supplement and I'm doing well on my homemade/less processed version.

2)I strictly avoid dairy and gluten, and less strictly avoid legumes and keep gluten free grains (rice, corn, quinoa, etc) to a bare minimum.

3) I take Ultram ER to help with the pain

3) I use a topical pain rub (containing capsicain and menthol) on my shoulders, where my pain is the worst.

4) I take 5-HTP to help me fall asleep at night (and also to keep seratonin levels high- I started this when I was weaning off Prozac years ago) and extra melatonin on nights I have a lot of trouble sleeping. Getting enough rest is vital in preventing flares, and getting rid of them when they come.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-08, 13:05
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
Well, there are people who have fibro pain that are not Vitamin D deficient, even the study reflected that.
Have you any medical scientific evidence to support that claim?

What level of 25(OH)D do you regard as optimal?

Given 125nmol/l or 50ng is the level at which the body starts to store D3 and at which human breast milk is replete with a natural level of Vitamin D3 what are your reasons for suggesting any amount lower than that is acceptable.
Quote:
If anything, the study indicates that Vitamin D deficiency makes fibro pain worse.
If vitamin D deficiency makes fibro pain worse then correcting that deficiency can only help. The only research I have seen regarding Fibro pain and vit d used Ergocaciferol and as we know perfectly well many people cannot tolerate D2 and many others cannot utilize D2. We must regard with the utmost suspicion the ethical integrity of any research done on Vit d that uses an unnatural, synthetic, form of the vitamin when there is cheaper more effective more reliable and safer alternative.

The case against ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) as a vitamin ...
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-08, 13:14

BF:

I am taking Lyrica and on pain medication to. I soak alot in a hot bath to every evening. That helps me so so I can sleep at night better.
I also take arthrotec for arthritis. I just started on the Lyrica last week so I am hoping it will help me. Can't reall tell any difference yet but I hope to soon.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-08, 13:16
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Bingo!!

Sissypoo...how much D3 are you taking? Maybe not enough?
I take D3 2000 iu twice a day.
4000iu daily meets your body's basic daily needs. Together with regular sun exposure this should be sufficient to attain and maintain your level above 125nmol/l. But without regular full body (or as near to as possible) sun exposure it is likely that only 100nmol/l or 40ng would be achieved. This is still a tad under the amount at which your body actually starts to store D3.

Your savings accounts will/can only grow when you earn more daily than you spend daily.

Your body can only store vit d AFTER it's daily basic needs have been met.

If you are currently below optimal and take only sufficient to meet your daily needs it will take several months to raise your status so that sufficient is available for storage. Those who continue to take less than their bodies daily needs will continue to have lower levels than needed. There are over 900 different Vit d receptors waiting for adequate Vit d availability in order to function. Not only that but your vit d status controls the absorption of calcium/magnesium and inadequate levels of these also upsets hundreds of different enzyme reactions. Getting your Vit d level correct will speed up the correction of of magnesium deficiency.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-08, 06:21

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Well, I know my new fibro dr is checking Vitamin D and said deficiency can be a cause for fibro pain. I also know someone who does have fibro and her dr. put her on 50,000 iu once a week (started out twice a week) and she has noticed a huge improvement. Hers was actually low.

Also, if you live in the US, anywhere above Atlanta, GA or its equivalent going further west, you can not possibly get the correct sun exposure. Also, with people like me (freckles and fair skin) who avoid the sun for fear of sun burn, then chances of having Vit D deficiency is more probable.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-08, 07:44
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Make sure you get vitamin D3, not D2. Usually when they give you such enormous doses it is D2 which doesn't really work.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-08, 16:26

BF:

I do get the sun exposer. I sit out by out pool most everyday day and read and sometimes have lunch. I love the sun and am in it alot but I wear sunscreen all the time. Does that stop any absorbsion of the sun rays?
I have a good tan to.
I grew up on the water and have always been in a boat or in the pool swimming. So I feel I get enough sun exposure.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-08, 16:36
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyPoo
I do get the sun exposer. I sit out by out pool most everyday day and read and sometimes have lunch. I love the sun and am in it alot but I wear sunscreen all the time. Does that stop any absorbsion of the sun rays?
I have a good tan to.
I grew up on the water and have always been in a boat or in the pool swimming. So I feel I get enough sun exposure.

Are you taking 4000 iu daily of D3? We keep asking you this and you have not answered yet.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-08, 16:42
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
Have you any medical scientific evidence to support that claim?

I read the study and it distinctly said that some of the participants were not deficient in Vitamin D. It certainly can't hurt to try it as it is cheap. But fibro is a syndrome and no one knows if it is exactly the same thing from person to person. It would be nice if Vitamin D were a miracle cure, but I don't believe it is.

This book was wriiten by an M.D. with fibro:

http://books.google.com/books?id=fj...umbnail#PPP1,M1

and recommends many different supplements to try because he believes that there is a wide variation on what causes fibro in the first place. Some people also have associated conditions that make fibro worse: arthritis, stenosis, Epstein-Barr antibodies.

I think that makes sense.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-08, 17:20
revcharlie

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

[QUOTE=Shorty987]

My doctor prescribed Lyrica, but when I went to fill it, my insurance denied it and it was expensive. So, I never got to try it...

QUOTE]

My sister has fibro and Lyrica isn't approved in Canada yet. Her doctor told her that it is a next generation Neurontin so she is going to try that. Having read the information available, I think Lyrica probably has fewer side effects, but Neurontin may do the trick.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-08, 09:47

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Yes, sunscreen does interfere.

You need to go out for about 20 minutes with your body exposed with no sun block.