Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1996   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-12, 10:07

Plan: Ray Peat
Stats: 176/166/135 Female 5 ft 7 in
BF:
Progress:
Default peat talks

can anyone tell me where I can listen to some of Ray Peat's talks online?
Sponsored Links
  #1997   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-12, 13:50

Plan: IBS Diet/Intuitive Eating
Stats: 321/194.2/199 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Hi Ellie,
Here is a Master List of Ray Peat interviews with links to them.

Cathy

http://www.functionalps.com/blog/20...phd-interviews/
  #1998   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-12, 21:51

Plan: real food/no junk
Stats: 188/145/120 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%

Cathy, that link is terrific. I hadn't seen it before, so thanks for posting!
  #1999   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-12, 22:37

Plan: IBS Diet/Intuitive Eating
Stats: 321/194.2/199 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

You're welcome! I am glad you found it helpful. I hope Ellie found it helpful too.
  #2000   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-12, 19:52

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

It is funny that w the info from RP and the workoutmaster guys re Cascara Sagrada, that I can't find any discussion.
Maybe I've just overlooked it.

Finally, I e mailed Ray re this bark and pregnenolone.
I asked if a daily dose of 1 cap cascara would be beneficial for gut healing since I really don't need the laxative effect for the most part.
He said that 425 mg will still be beneficial and I might still get a laxative effect......We'll see.

Also asked him about pregnenolone relating to irregular heartbeat.
He didn't think it would be a problem and passed on a couple of studies.

It's quiet here but maybe some who subscribe will check in w any info/opinions.
  #2001   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-12, 06:19

Plan: modified Peat
Stats: 202/214/180 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress: -55%

Jem51,
I've about given up on this forum and spend most of my RP time at the FaceBook Ray Peat closed group. There are several threads on cascara there.
Not that I've really paid much attention, as what I've read about it from non-Peat perspective says it is a very strong and irritating laxative. When I get GI issues it is always the runs, never constipation, so cascara just isn't on my wish list, LOL.
I'd just like to find a magnesium I could take without diarrhea from only 100 mg. I would like to know if mag would be expected to have any of the same benefit that Peat expects from cascara though. If I could even take magnesium that is.
So, sorry I have nothing to contribute re cascara, but did want you to know I read your post. Because of my history of IBS-D I am actually afraid of cascara.
Pregnenolone I'm planning to start again soon. I've been on high dose progesterone and high dose hydrocortisone for allergic skin reactions and want to wean down a little more before adding in the pregnenolone again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51
It is funny that w the info from RP and the workoutmaster guys re Cascara Sagrada, that I can't find any discussion.
Maybe I've just overlooked it.

Finally, I e mailed Ray re this bark and pregnenolone.
I asked if a daily dose of 1 cap cascara would be beneficial for gut healing since I really don't need the laxative effect for the most part.
He said that 425 mg will still be beneficial and I might still get a laxative effect......We'll see.

Also asked him about pregnenolone relating to irregular heartbeat.
He didn't think it would be a problem and passed on a couple of studies.

It's quiet here but maybe some who subscribe will check in w any info/opinions.
  #2002   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-12, 12:21

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

Thanks Solly. I was worried that cascara might be too much for my gut but the 1/2 dose seems to be a positive thing.

I rarely come to this thread but sometimes lood back for info.
  #2003   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-12, 17:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51
Thanks Solly. I was worried that cascara might be too much for my gut but the 1/2 dose seems to be a positive thing.

I rarely come to this thread but sometimes lood back for info.

Yes I come back for review of info, esp the Peat eating guidelines summary with the PUFA info on oils and nuts.
Which I'm checking right now.

If you have time, after a while of your use of it, I'd be interested to know how you get on with cascara.
sol
  #2004   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-12, 15:41

Plan: Mostly meat
Stats: 215/193/150 Female 63in
BF:
Progress: 34%

I read this whole thread and it is very informative! I am doing the RP protocol and have lost weigh on it ( it's only been a week though). I have dabbled in many diets and have had issues with digestion (ibs-c, fructose absorption issues) so far my digestion is good. Not taking anything for thyroid, because I have o ly a few symptoms od hypo ( cold hands and feet, low body temp, and difficulty keeping fat off) I will go over to FB, to join the group there since this thread isn't as active anymore. I should add that I don't do alot of OJ as I have a slight allergy to it and am also avoiding foods as part of a protocol to avoid migraines, as I have a big issue with migraines. I have tried drinking a small glass a few times and eaten a couple tangerines. Interesting enough some of the foods I avoid for migraines are also part of the RP protocol. Fermented veggies and dairy mainly. Any way I'm going to continue on it because it feels right for now.
  #2005   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-12, 09:22

Plan: Gaps/Peat
Stats: 115/126/120 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi Zanjabil.

You sound just like me a year ago. Not that you need another diet philosophy to follow, but I thought I'd suggest what seems to be working for me. I now only follow Ray Peat through Danny Roddy's website, and Matt Stone at 180 degree health. With Matt's RRARF program I started in Jan of this year, I put on 20 pounds, but my bp stabalized, my hormone levels did too, and my temps rose to 'normal' or at least now I'm never under 97.7 and average over 98.0 (under arm). That was from 96's. Ray Peat helped me not be so afraid of antibiotics or progesterone, but I just cannot do coffee, even just a little w/o getting the cold hands/nose/feet. OJ I don't do as much as I noticed my skin started turning orange. I'm back on gluten, and no problems. I really feel getting the temps up and settled in has made the biggest difference.

I forgot, most importantly, only a handful of migraines this year. Even when I was really stressed (many times this year) they didn't come as usual. Also, NO viral infections this year which was a go to during stress for my body.
  #2006   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-12, 10:55

BF:

I think it is of main importance to respect allergies. I gave myself a bad year this year with allergies through a combination of denial and wishful thinking. I've stopped milk, and am once again limiting to the two cheeses I know are safe for me in small quantities (up to 2 oz a day or so). I can also handle up to half a cup of half and half (with no carrageenan nor vitamin additives). I'm just now weaning down from high dose hydrocortisone and progesterone which was all that saved me when antihistamines completely quit working. I have found I can tolerate up to about 4 oz of OJ now that I've stopped milk.

Not sure how I managed to convince myself that I was ok with milk, I do love it, so I'm sure I didn't want to think about it, LOL. Even after 25 years of allergies, I am still capable of making egregious mistakes of judgement regarding those allergies. Peat's recommendation to deal with allergies is to start with very small quantities such as a mouthful of milk at a time, and very slowly build up from there. But with me and milk that is like telling someone to eat one potato chip. I just couldn't do the small and gradual thing, if I had 4 oz of milk, I'd go on to drink a pint.......no control, LOL.

However much I would love to be able to drink all the milk I want, I can't. I also deviate in meats.........my main sources of meat are chicken breast and pork. Because they are allergy-safe for me. I can't eat any seafood due to the same allergen that is in milk. Avoiding my allergens trumps everything else, and I'd do better not to forget that or deny it again.

When I started incorporating the parts of Peat's ideas that fit me, i.e. what I could do without triggering allergic flares, I did very well, and had many impressive (to me) improvements. But when I started pushing to do milk, OJ, and some other of his ideas, I believe that is when I got into allergy trouble. I'm now back to having as my number 1 priority to keep allergen intake low. But, I am going to seriously miss milk. It is one of the ironies of life that those of us unfortunate enough to have very strong allergies often love the very foods that contain those allergens........sigh. Suck it up is what I'm telling myself. LOL

I myself also don't do that well with fruit, possibly because so many fruits are high in histamine. I've gone back to eating wheat and doing really well with it for at least 3 months now.
sol
sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanjabil
I don't do alot of OJ as I have a slight allergy to it and am also avoiding foods as part of a protocol to avoid migraines, as I have a big issue with migraines...... Interesting enough some of the foods I avoid for migraines are also part of the RP protocol. Fermented veggies and dairy mainly. Any way I'm going to continue on it because it feels right for now.

[QUOTE=KCasas]
With Matt's RRARF program I started in Jan of this year, I put on 20 pounds, but my bp stabalized, my hormone levels did too, and my temps rose to 'normal' or at least now I'm never under 97.7 and average over 98.0 (under arm). That was from 96's. Ray Peat helped me not be so afraid of antibiotics or progesterone, but I just cannot do coffee, even just a little w/o getting the cold hands/nose/feet. OJ I don't do as much as I noticed my skin started turning orange. I'm back on gluten, and no problems. QUOTE]
  #2007   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-12, 20:26

BF:

Sol, I always thought I was lactose intolerant until now. I can drink milk 3 times a day with no digestive issues! + 1 for RP!

Ive always had a slight allergy to citrus (which I think is why it can trigger migraines) but I am working my way up to it( 2 for oz glasses a day now!) I know I can't do the whole fruit yet because of the fiber( maybe one day)
I love coffee, chocolate, and Cocas, but am off of all caffiene right now to get control of these migraines. Hopefully I'll be able to have them again some day.
I've also discovered almost all starches either irritate my digestion or make me hungry, tired, cold.
Sugar is what I used to crave always ( especially doing LC)
And salt! Now I don't crave it as much since I'm eating it again. Yayy! Still crave salt a lot so I must need to use more.
So for me this way of eating is good so far. I'm going to give myself another week or 2 and if I still have cold hands and feet and low temps, I will order some thyroid.
  #2008   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-12, 20:38

BF:

KCasas. That's what I want to hear! Fewer migraines! I haven't had a migraine since eating this way(it been 2wks). Just a medium to low grade headache, which I take aspirin for and it usually works with the first dose sometimes second. Do you do the gelatin? Gelatin is on the list of triggers to avoid but I'm not convinced it is one. Sometimes I get a headache after eating it and sometimes I don't. I'm sticking with it for now along with the OJ even though they are both potential triggers. Everything else that are triggers are not recommended by RP so that has made this diet work so well for me. Anyway Im rambling.
  #2009   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-12, 10:44

BF:

[QUOTE=zanjabil]Sol, I always thought I was lactose intolerant until now. I can drink milk 3 times a day with no digestive issues! + 1 for RP! [QUOTE]

I am not lactose intolerant, nor do I have any intolerance of milk proteins.
My problem with milk/dairy is the high iodine content, and "contaminants" like vitamin mixes added to it. There is no way to start low and become accustomed to those, at least for me. I've been dealing with iodine allergy for about 26 years, and nickel allergy for over 50 years. These, in my experience simply do not ever lessen or go away.

OTOH, I can now eat potatoes (YAY!). But I'm not sure intolerance of nightshade alkaloids are a true allergy......but simply toxins. My ability to detoxify this kind of thing surely must have improved or I would not now be able to eat potatoes without problems. The symptom from nightshades that I get is joint pain, particularly the large joints like knees/hips. I still get that from tomato, particularly fresh tomatoes. Maybe some day.............
  #2010   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-12, 10:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanjabil
KCasas. That's what I want to hear! Fewer migraines! I haven't had a migraine since eating this way(it been 2wks). Just a medium to low grade headache, which I take aspirin for and it usually works with the first dose sometimes second. Do you do the gelatin? Gelatin is on the list of triggers to avoid but I'm not convinced it is one. Sometimes I get a headache after eating it and sometimes I don't. I'm sticking with it for now along with the OJ even though they are both potential triggers. Everything else that are triggers are not recommended by RP so that has made this diet work so well for me. Anyway Im rambling.

I'm not KCasas, but want to chime in that since stopping milk I tolerate OJ better, though I am limiting it to 4 oz. giving up milk is so painful (I love it!) that being able to have some OJ is a pleasure. Milk may really have been confusing the OJ issue for me.