Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-24-21, 07:09

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default Do you have to be in ketosis to burn fat? Good Question!

This is a good read. I used to have a Ketonix meter, maybe time for a new one to play with?

https://optimisingnutrition.com/ket...is-to-burn-fat/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-24-21, 09:59

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

That is a good read. It also shows how we are coming back to what was "common knowledge" 50 years ago - that if you've got something spilling over into your blood or urine, you've got too much of it, not too little of it.

When I first went LC ~20 years ago I got a BG monitor to help identify which foods increase my BG more than others and more than what their carb counts would predict. When Marty first started his blog and data plots, it was interesting to see that his results were the same as mine, with things like dairy being at the high end of the range. And the high-end foods were all ones that have triggered my cravings for decades, and things that Atkins limited or did not allow in 1972.

I bought some ketosticks once, but most of the time I was looking at them in differerent lighting trying to discern if they were very very very pale pink or had not changed colour at all. What I did find was that if I avoided the high-end-of-range cravings inducers and ate only Bernstein levels of carbs per meal of real foods, my hunger & cravings completely disappeared and I lost fat effortlessly. And I could rely on my hunger signals coming back only when I needed food again, something I hadn't been able to rely on since I was ~12 years old. I wasn't spilling ketones because I was using them up for energy & brain activities, the way the body was designed to work - in equilibrium with optimal nutrition.

Last edited by deirdra : Sun, Jan-24-21 at 10:05.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-24-21, 10:27

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
That is a good read. It also shows how we are coming back to what was "common knowledge" 50 years ago - that if you've got something spilling over into your blood or urine, you've got too much of it, not too little of it.

That makes sense.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-24-21, 10:57

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I got a meter for DH and I since he was so new to it. Thing is, once you are "in the groove" you aren't going to have much.

Still, I don't regret it. This kind of feedback is crucial for DH. It's early days yet, so he's going to being starting over or tightening up periodically.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-21, 04:01

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

And to go with the ketosis question....The Lie often seen, especially on "Keto" Cooking FB pages:

Keto Lie #3: You should eat more fat to burn more body fat.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/ket...-more-body-fat/

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jan-30-21 at 06:23.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-21, 13:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

This is a very good read. Just read last night. Presently reading A Case For Keto by Gary Taubes. Enjoying it.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-21, 14:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 339.8/272.6/200 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Taubes wrote an article for today's Wall Street Journal. Pretty much an overview of the principles in the new book. Worth a read.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-21, 15:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra

When I first went LC ~20 years ago I got a BG monitor to help identify which foods increase my BG more than others and more than what their carb counts would predict. When Marty first started his blog and data plots, it was interesting to see that his results were the same as mine, with things like dairy being at the high end of the range. And the high-end foods were all ones that have triggered my cravings for decades, and things that Atkins limited or did not allow in 1972.

I bought some ketosticks once, but most of the time I was looking at them in differerent lighting trying to discern if they were very very very pale pink or had not changed colour at all. What I did find was that if I avoided the high-end-of-range cravings inducers and ate only Bernstein levels of carbs per meal of real foods, my hunger & cravings completely disappeared and I lost fat effortlessly. And I could rely on my hunger signals coming back only when I needed food again, something I hadn't been able to rely on since I was ~12 years old. I wasn't spilling ketones because I was using them up for energy & brain activities, the way the body was designed to work - in equilibrium with optimal nutrition.

great feedback!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-21, 15:50

BF:

thanks for the other posts. i should check out Gary T’s. new stuff