Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-21, 04:35

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
It's a long road from a chocolate muffin in the morning to craving the nutrients in mackerel.

I know! And... they don't believe us when we relate our stories.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-21, 08:13

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Thanks, Janet. I jumped on that DietDoctor article the minute it landed in my mailbox, and forwarded it to my friend. Absolutely everything you always wanted to know about sugar! From a reliable source. If she hasn't already, I hope this will encourage her decision to join DD. Ten bucks a month (less for annual) is way less than any other nutrition guidance available.

MsArielle, I'm with you about encouraging your friend to follow doctor's orders. Seems to be working and losing weight is the best incentive. I'm of the opinion that ALL diets create weight loss. After that...sustainability. Hard to do.

Mackerel? Holy mackerel. Do I have to?? I always associate it with canned cat food, and I just can't bring myself to eat it--even the good stuff. I've almost recovered from my early Weight Watchers experience with naked canned tuna (three times a week!) The Tuna Burgers on DietDoctor are wonderful. Also, being able to make tuna salad with mayonnaise makes it delicious.

So...off to real life another day. Best wishes.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-21, 08:23

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Lol, I cannot eat Mackerel. I have tried MANY times. No go. Tuna ? Yes. Canned sardines? Yes. Salmon? Sometimes. Not mackerel !!! Even baked in milk. It's still yucky. Cat food sums it up. Blech.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-21, 05:15

BF:

Mmmmmm. Mackerel. Yes, please.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-21, 09:27

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

It's all about the nutrients! Canned wild salmon is good, but mackerel, with all the other high protein, nutrient dense foods ingredients in that recipe, start the day with a high Nutrient Optimisation score.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Oct-27-21 at 12:14.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-21, 09:32

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
It's all about the nutrients! Canned wild salmon is good, but mackerel, with all the other high protein, nutrient dense foods ingredients day with a high Nutrient Optimisation score.

I am so glad you have jumped on the nutritional optimization wagon Janet.

Both canned did salmon and canned wild mackerel are on my regular menu. I eat them often for lunch in a large salad with homemade vinaigrette dressing and a bunch of additives like nutritional yeast, ground flax seed, and hemp seed, very nutritious and very good. I keep my daily Nutrient optimization score in the low 90's.

And just to add, the dog enjoys a little canned mackerel from time to time too.

Last edited by cotonpal : Wed, Oct-27-21 at 09:38.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-21, 15:06

Plan: Unsure
Stats: 165/165/000 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Some people don't believe in sugar addiction. I know people who just think it is a matter of will-power or choice to stop eating sugary foods. I agree that it is a matter of choice, but I know that I have never had enough will-power to conquer the addiction that I know is real. Once that sugar hits my tongue, I always want more.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Oct-31-21, 19:30

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I'm exactly the same!!!

If I can string together 3 lc days, I have a chance of continuing LC. But once triggering carbs cross my lips, I'm toast.

Currently I've invested in a big supply of Swerve, and a load of f safe low carb recipes for sweets. Sure helps me say no to the dangerous sugar laden sweets and breads, while I whip up an alternative.

The brown sugar Swerve has been a life saver.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Nov-01-21, 10:44

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandy01
Some people don't believe in sugar addiction. I know people who just think it is a matter of will-power or choice to stop eating sugary foods. I agree that it is a matter of choice, but I know that I have never had enough will-power to conquer the addiction that I know is real. Once that sugar hits my tongue, I always want more.
There's research that shows sugar affects the brain the same way as cocaine. I wonder if anyone doubts cocaine is addictive.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Nov-07-21, 11:56

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 247/242/200 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I think it is also the memory of when binging made you feel good. Eventually, as with any drug, it won't work anymore, but the memory remains.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-22, 22:26

Plan: DANDR 2002
Stats: 180/155/130 Male 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

What has stopped me this time around? "Cognitive Decline" It scares the hell out of me, and a high sugar diet is one of the risk factors.
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-22, 06:20

Research has yet to prove that food addiction exists, though the pull of processed foods, the fat + carb combo triggers addiction-like behavior. Marty Kendall's long analysis of the topic, using Ted Naiman's Trifecta charts and Cain Foley's "Don’t eat for Winter" is covered in this article:

How to beat food addiction by understanding your brain chemistry
https://optimisingnutrition.com/are...ood/#more-20384

Quote:
While food addiction is a commonly used term, it is still not widely accepted in the research literature. Whether we can be addicted to something that we need to survive is arguable.

The bottom line though is that our biology is optimised for an environment of scarcity. But it’s as if we have been airlifted into a world of energy toxicity that has only been made possible by modern hacks (e.g. synthetic fertilisers, artificial colours and flavourings and food processing).

Quote:
The problem with thinking of food as addictive is that we can become disempowered. Food becomes “bad” and something to be avoided, something to feel guilty about rather than celebrated and enjoyed to nourish us and enable us to live our best life. Food addiction constitutes a medicalisation of common eating behaviours, taking on the properties of disease. The use of this medical language has implications for the way in which society views overeating and obesity. (Findlayson, Food addiction and obesity: unnecessary medicalisation of hedonic overeating, Nature Reviews Endocrinology, May 2017) If we medicalise our behaviour, we are more likely to adopt a victim mentality and take less responsibility for our choices. While people feel they are addicted to sugar, the research doesn’t tend to support sugar as being addictive.
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-22, 07:32

And to counter everything I wrote above, there is

Another Quit Sugar Summit starts tomorrow.
Amy Berger, Vera Tarman, 44 speakers, FREE, you know how these deals work.

https://quitsugarsummit.com/?afmc=5m
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-22, 06:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGirl
There's research that shows sugar affects the brain the same way as cocaine. I wonder if anyone doubts cocaine is addictive.

Exactly! I've always been able to white-knuckle 1200 calories a day for WEEKS on end and never budged more more than five pounds. And I would break and eat. Because my survival instincts were convinced this wasn't working.

There's a physiological reason for the roller coaster of hunger and anxiety I was triggering in myself disordered eating. Short term gain, long term misery. But what I didn't know was that carbs was never going to work.

For me, it tends to be a simple equation: I can't cut carbs too low! Since I'm 90% carnivore, this lets me self-correct at any time. It's amazing!
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-22, 12:38

A new (to me) resource for Food Addiction, starting with a free five day challenge March 21st - 25th.
Crush your Cravings (whatever your food crave/sugar cravings)
https://www.5daycrushyourcravingschallenge.com/

Amy Berger recommended Dave Wolfe and his Sugar Recovery group as being helpful for food/sugar addicts.
Free checklist: https://www.sugarxglobal.com

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SUGARxglobal

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Mar-16-22 at 16:20.