Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 14:14

Plan: low carb
Stats: 146/132/130
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Quit Smoking 2/18/03 and lo carb update

(I posted this over in my journal, but I thought I should put it up in this forum too.)

I quit smoking on February 18. I had no intention of quitting. I loved to smoke and used to go through at least two packs of Marlboro Reds per day. However, a few things must have converged and I somehow gave it up. I smoked for 26 years, and only had one lame past attempt at quitting back in 2000. It lasted eight days. Now, even though I am struggling and hating most moments of this, I know my time is up and I am done smoking.

Reasons that seemed to have lead me to quit:

1. NYC banned smoking in ALL public places, including bars. grrr How was I supposed to go out and have a few drinks without a cig??? I hate this new law, but I must confess, it in some way must have contributed to my decision to quit in February. The law went into effect 3/30/03 and an even more severe state anti-smoking law goes into effect this summer. Sin city no more!

2. One of my cats got sick on February 16. She is 13 years old. I am sure the smoke was troubling her, even though she is now fine and her diagnosis had nothing to do with respiratory, heart or any other second hand smoke related issue.

3. My husband quit a year and a half ago and has been bothered by my smoking in the apartment.

4. I kept finding myself in places where smoking is prohibited. I almost killed myself on a recent flight to LA. Then in LA, well forget about smoking there. Any time my work took me outside of my home, I was finding it impossible to sneak away for my 'dose.' There are so few smokers left out there! I was living as if it were still 1978 when everyone I knew smoked!

5. It was just my time. I had a hunch, a feeling, an intuitive suspicion that my 'get off scot-free' smoking time was over.

6. I think after a year of low-carbing, my insulin was regulated enough to allow me to get off the cigs. I don't really understand all the science of it, but without a year of low carbing under my belt, I don't think I would have even considered quitting.

So, how is my low carbing going? In the first two weeks after quitting I ate at least one chocolate bar per day. I bought the best, highest quality organic chocolate I could find. I also ate huge portions of my usual low carb foods. I gained back all the weight that I lost last year - 13 lbs. I was in a panic.

In my 3rd week of not smoking and again FAT, I went to see my doctor. I was (still am) using nicotine replacement therapy -- patch at night, nicorette gum during the day. My doctor put me on a mild tranquilizer and an anti-depressant. The combo of these two drugs, plus the nicotine replacement therapy helped me to stop eating like a pig. I lost 5 lbs. right away. Last weigh in was 142.

I have eaten pizza -- the real thing -- every Friday night since I quit. It is my reward to myself and it is worth it, at least for now.

I have also given up coffee. This has been so tough too; maybe just as hard as giving up the cigs. I replaced my beloved coffee with green tea. The coffee was really overly connected to the cigs, so it just had to go. My consumption of artificial sweetners is way down, since I am no longer guzzling cup after cup of coffee. I drink one glass of wine every night, but have had no hard liquor since I quit.

I have to say, I hate not smoking. But, I want to live, so I am working hard to get through this. I joined a message board for quitting and that has been helpful. I am working with three doctors to overcome the physical and psychological issues that are arising now that my cigs are gone. I feel very deprived, but I work hard to make it through each day. My swimming is easier and I have been able to swim one hour every day without getting tired.

As to my weight, I am wearing size 8 jeans. I cannot bring myself to get weighed until I get my TOM this month. Then I will check in. I estimate my weight to be approx. 138-140. Will let you know.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 13:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/187/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up Wow

Just read your post.... Way to go...

I too have just given up coffee... (drink the odd cup of decaf)... and have up'd the water to 4 liters a day...

Also in the process of kick'n the nicotine habbit... many of your reasons are similar to mine... and after over 22 yrs of smoking... I believe it's catching up to me... *smokers hack*

I am already on Welbutrin... and it hasn't done anything in the way of curbing my cravings... consumption... so I don't think that is an option... I could do the patch... but for now I am trying to just cut down... by a few cig's... every week... till I can reduce the need and withdrawl symptoms... I am very strict with this... and only take out the amount I'm alowing my self to smoke... and NO more...

Yesterday I didn't even smoke all of them... I just keep puting the ones I can't smoke... and any extra's I don't smoke away in the frezzer...

Many ppl don't agree with this method... but for me... I KNOW... it's the way I can be successful.... especially when I'm makeing sooo many changes at once...

Well Wish me luck... and I hope your smoke free journey is going well... Let me know...

Thanx ... Shelley
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 15:03

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 194/180.5/160 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

Well, I am of the opinion that if it works for you, go for it. If you can think you can taper down to nothing, terrific! For me personally, that wasn't an option. I had to completely break with the habit for me to end it. As an example, my original quit date was June 6. I went a full 24 hrs without a cigarette. To reward myself, I had a cigarette. I was instantly back into the full swing of smoking.

I can certainly agree with your comments about a ton of changes occurring at once. I am two weeks into LC, 1 week into exercising with greater frequency and 2.5 days into no nicotine. I plan on adding aspartame and caffeine to my list eventually, but I think I will wait a month or two for that. Even if it completely stalls out my weight-loss, I think I need to keep something static in my life. The cigarettes are the highest priority, caffeine, aspartame and weight-loss can wait.

Something was different this time when I quit that wasn't present the other three or so times that I have gone longer than 24 hrs without a cigarette. I am not sure what it is, but it has made quitting so much easier this time. Perhaps all of this protein has affected things or my increased activity level. I am honestly more and more convinced that this time I am quitting for myself, to hell with what other people want (the major motivation for my previous quit attempts).
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 18:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/187/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up Vonhinx

I loved your counter at the bottom.... cool idea...

Yes... for some... and some times... cold turkey is the best way to go... for me... It just wouldn't work... ... could give you a hand full of reasons... but won't boar you with the details..

At Any rate... we both deserve a and support... for making changes to improve our health...

keep me posted on how you are doing... with the NOn smokeing... and the WOE... would love to hear from you...

Thanx .. Shelley