Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-06-04, 20:14

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Monika's walk-physical therapy and fitness log

I have logged quite a bit of my exercise in my journal in the past month. Now I thought I might as well start a gym log. So, here I go.

I got physical therapy August through mid October. After that I signed up for 3 month (now I say I should have done 6 month, for a saving over 2 x 3 month of $20) for what they call physical therapy extension. I basically occasionally meet the woman in charge who planned my exercise - which is supposed to strengthen all muscles around the knee so my knee is supposed to get better and not hurt when I walk - which it started once I had lost weight and started to walk - something counterintuitive because weight loss should be good for the knee! Anyway, in my case either the weight loss or the increased walking or both together activated an old problem.

So, after 12 physical therapy sessions I am now pretty much on my own but have a certain program to finish - it takes about 50 min. I sometimes cut, and when I cut, it is usually by dropping things I can do at home or have done on trips. I recently did quite a few trips, and there are 3 already planned in the next 6 months, so probably more. When I am in an expensive hotel, I go to their fitness center and do the subset of exercises that I can do. Those are the ones I skip next time in my regular program - so it balances.

When I say PT or PT exercise, that is what I mean.

My usual walk is a pretty fast walk that takes about 20-25 min. I have no idea how long it is - my guess is 2.5 miles but I may be off a lot.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-10-04, 20:38

BF:

Today, Wednesday 11-11, PT.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-13-04, 08:13

BF:

Yesterday, Friday, PT instead of my usual Saturday morning. Now I have sour muscles. And I feel a cold coming, have a concert tonight and next week, so I will NOT bike or walk or anythign outside in 35 degree cold!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-04, 08:00

BF:

Hm... just about when I had opened this thread I no longer log on so much. Went to PT exercise Tuesday evening, but the rest of the week the PT is closed, and it just snowed, so no walks outside
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-22-05, 09:48

BF:

Didn't write for a while - the PT exercise program ended 18th, and I think last I went was around the 10th or 12th. I was getting
fedup, and the problem of it closing at 7.30 became an issue with dinner - when the kids come home after activities only at 6.30, and want dinner then, it is impossible.

So, bought mat and ball on eBay - and will rent some videos. I also have a pilates book and some instructions - will check them again.

Shovelled snow twice, and will again today!

Then did those PT exercises I CAN do at home.

If I can keep to doing exercises I hope to get rid of the extras
(I am back to 75, even a bit over, though I had been pretty steady around 73.5 kg before)
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-19-05, 19:27

BF:

Finally tried out the official university gym. They had lots of free elliptical trainers - great, but nothing else I am used to from PT except for a room with mats - that I have at home, not worth paying $10 for. Though I might still consider next winter to pay $100 for a 4 month membership. But they don't have the leg press, the hip flex/extender, and those are things most hotel exercise rooms had.

Next weekend skiing and after that spring can come and I hopefully can walk again in the evenings and weekends.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 10:05

BF:

The next weekend we went skiiing, in a place iwth a Gym, so I did 20 min eliptical, plus my PT exercises every single day of the 3 days we were there. PLus skiing all day - nevertheless, I came back having gained some (see journal - possibly due to cereal in the morning).

Yesterday, received the Winsor Pilates video. The 20 min workout was too short - I added my PT exercises. Initially I thought I order it, and then cancel the deal (I am supposed to get a new Pilates video every 4-6 weeks!) but now I am thinking it may be good to get the next one - I can see getting bored quickly with just the 20 min one.

The exercises were all familiar from my Pilates class, but she doesn't make me do them so long so the 20 min. are over quickly. I think I can do these every couple of days. Shall see. Still am debating whether I should just add the ohter Pilates exercises, or buy another video.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-05, 10:13

BF:

I was in danger of gaining - going over 75 kg - and I know exactly why - stress, 80 hour work weeks with lots of going out/potluck dinners, and no exercise.

So yesterday (Saturday) and today (Sunday), did the 20 min Pilate's workout, and then my PT exercises. All in 40 min.

Plus: shoveled snow yesterday and a few days ago - yesterday was the 2 inches that got us over our all time record, and was the THIRD time that I thought>: this is IT - last time shoveling.

Bottom line: I am not changing my diet. I am waiting for spring and for being able to walk again three times a week - evenings and weekend mornings. Once I have that going, plus some Pilates and PT, I should be fine!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-05, 17:51

BF:

Wednesday morning woke-up at 6 am, decided to use the time to do the Pilates, then PT exercises before my shower and getting ready.

Already had the feeling of lost inches, and this morning, finally down to 73.5. So my assessment is right, getting back into exercise routines is the key - and with spring coming (snow yesterday, snow today, but nothing sticks), soon I will be able to walk more again.

I ate a slice of sprouted bread every morning this week, so that is definitely ok. To me it tastes like bread - in case someone is wondering (from Trader Joe - they claim it is free of flour - basically, they take grains and sprout them, so they say its more a vegetable than flour).
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-05, 07:44

BF:

Today, Saturday, again Pilates and PT - my knees grinded like an old lady's. Though tomorrow spring starts it was again in the 20s, too cold to walk outside, and snow in the forcast for today!

Maybe I did a mistake by canceling the Pilates additional DVDs - it is starting to get boring with this one!

But hopefully next week I can do nice walks again, and not need the DVD so often - I should still loose.

Didn't weigh today but I think I am still low based on my tummy feeling. Exercise DOES work!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-05, 11:06

BF:

Wednesday long walk with DD.

Saturday shorter walk followed by PT exercise and Pilates - I WAS drenched in sweat after all that.

Today the longer tour but walking only.