Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-13, 15:00

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Did you read my post #71 and Dr. Davis's article? Three months, and 28 pounds lost, is exactly where that effect can be at its worst.
Your HDL and Trigs are great!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-13, 15:19
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsalmon
Hello
I am trying to read and sort through all of the good info here. I have been a faithful LCer since Thanksgiving 2012. Two years ago, my cholesterol was high (doc still waiting for my records from Mayo to arrive). So last week had blood work done and was really anticipating great numbers. Instead:
TC 334
HDL 81
TG 82
LDL 237

My new doctor a little freaked and wants me on low-fat whole grain immediately. However, no statins,etc. but another test in 3-4 months. I am wondering if the blog by Dr. Davis addresses this. The test was after about 3 1/2 months of LC...28 lb loss.

Blood pressure 100/68
All other tests perfect.
My mother and sister have thryoid problems and have always had high cholesterol.

Whew....I am taking a deep breath and staying calm!

Have you read my posts above? This is a thyroid issue affecting your cholesterol numbers--hypothyroid can cause high cholesterol in many women. Your HDL and trigs are great so you are not at risk for heart disease, but getting thyroid treatment would bring the LDL and total cholesterol numbers down. That way, your doctor could at least stop having a heart attack of his own. My numbers are even better now than they were in fall 2011. Deep breath.

--Melissa
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-13, 23:35

Plan: Whole Foods Atkins
Stats: 178/168/150 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 36%

Thank you ladies! Lot's to read...I really related to Dr. Davis's article and now need to have a serious conversation with my mom and sister. They are both being treated at Mayo clinic and seem to be doing fine....
The doctors really freak out don't they? I am having quite a busy week but will go through this thread more carefully and read all the links this weekend.
Thanks again. I am not starting low fat/whole grain. That's how I gained 28 lbs!
  #79   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-13, 11:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibsmile
Have you read my posts above? This is a thyroid issue affecting your cholesterol numbers--hypothyroid can cause high cholesterol in many women. Your HDL and trigs are great so you are not at risk for heart disease, but getting thyroid treatment would bring the LDL and total cholesterol numbers down. That way, your doctor could at least stop having a heart attack of his own. My numbers are even better now than they were in fall 2011. Deep breath.

--Melissa

Thank you Melissa. Am going to check out the thyroid issue as my mom (who is on statins) also has thyroid issues along with high cholesterol. Appreciate your info.

Vicki
  #80   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-13, 11:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Did you read my post #71 and Dr. Davis's article? Three months, and 28 pounds lost, is exactly where that effect can be at its worst.
Your HDL and Trigs are great!

Yep...that would me. Thanks for link! Am not abandoning low carb. Period!
  #81   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-13, 13:37

Plan: Very low carb
Stats: 192.2/160/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Just wanted to update since it's been almost 3 years of strict LCing. As you know:

1.) I already had VAP blood test: scored a ZERO (best score possible.)
2.) I also had the LDL particle size test (don't know if I reported that here) and my LDL particle size was predominantly large, fluffy.
3.) Had a calcium heart scan: zero buildup

Here's my latest numbers:

CHOLESTEROL: 275 (Range: 0-199 mg/dL) Status: High
TRIGLYCERIDES: 58 (Range: 0-149 mg/dL)
HDL: 55 (Range: 40-59 mg/dL)
LDL CALCULATED: 208 (Range: 30-99 mg/dL) Status: Panic High

I have maintained my 27 lb. weightloss.

My endo didn't even blink an eye. I guess he's used to me and my LCing cholesterol numbers. (But I don't know why my HDL isn't even higher --- but I am hypothyroid, so might have something to do with it.)
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-13, 13:14

BF:

Donna, you are doing fabulous!

I have finally had some time to sit and read more of this thread along with links.
I appreciate the link by Nancy LC to
http://www.menshealth.com/health/un...d-heart-disease
“Dr. Krauss found that ...if your smaller forms of LDL were high, your HDL was low: if your smaller forms of LDL were low, your HDL was high.” My good HDL of 81 more than likely is linked to a lower number of smaller LDL particles.
Also, Janet’s link to Dr. Davis’ blog on LDL going kind of crazy high three months into low-carb would be me.
Then Melissa mentioned hypothyroid issues. I do not have any symptoms except for the high LDL. Since I just had my Wellness Screening and the VAP and Thyroid tests were not ordered, they would now become medical and subject to deductibles, etc. So, just have to figure out what direction to go. I may wait this out a bit given the various info I am reading about this extremely controversial subject. Appreciate the links and info.
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-13, 14:17
Absurdtive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez in BR
Just wanted to update since it's been almost 3 years of strict LCing. As you know:

1.) I already had VAP blood test: scored a ZERO (best score possible.)
2.) I also had the LDL particle size test (don't know if I reported that here) and my LDL particle size was predominantly large, fluffy.
3.) Had a calcium heart scan: zero buildup

Here's my latest numbers:

CHOLESTEROL: 275 (Range: 0-199 mg/dL) Status: High
TRIGLYCERIDES: 58 (Range: 0-149 mg/dL)
HDL: 55 (Range: 40-59 mg/dL)
LDL CALCULATED: 208 (Range: 30-99 mg/dL) Status: Panic High

I have maintained my 27 lb. weightloss.

My endo didn't even blink an eye. I guess he's used to me and my LCing cholesterol numbers. (But I don't know why my HDL isn't even higher --- but I am hypothyroid, so might have something to do with it.)

How do you feel? Is your hypothyroid adequately treated? I am curious if your numbers have changed at all with thyroid meds.

--Melissa
  #84   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-13, 11:00

Plan: Very low carb
Stats: 192.2/160/160 Female 5'6"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibsmile
How do you feel? Is your hypothyroid adequately treated? I am curious if your numbers have changed at all with thyroid meds.

--Melissa

I have been on thyroid meds (adequately treated for past 2 years) so I feel really well.

I was within the first 6 months or so of starting low carb when I changed endocrinologists, at first he wanted to put me on Metformin (or something like it -- something injectible) and I refused. My cholesterol numbers improved over time (but going UP overall, while tryglicerides and HDL improved.) and my weight went DOWN (much to my endo's amazement -- that I did it without drugs.) I went from 'Metabolic Syndrome' to healthy.

When I started out, my HDL was pretty low. At least I am in the range now for HDL. My tryglicerides are absolutely fabulous and my LDL is harmless, even if the number is crazy high.

I feel better now than I have ever in the past . . . 20 years? I attribute it to low carb living and having my thyroid properly treated.

Note: I am VERY strict low carb. I don't count, but it's definitely VLC living. 30 grams a day? That kind of low, for 3 years.
  #85   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-13, 09:07

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:

Two full years of low carb and I'm surprised to find myself on this thread because I was SURE my blood test results would be fabulous. They are very good in all respects, except slightly low white blood cells, and.....

Cholesterol 257
Trigs 81
HDL 69
VLDL 16
LDL 172 (conventional test)
LDL 157.87 (Iranian test that I calculated myself)
TSH and T4 Free both normal

There is a wealth of helpful information posted here but I wondered if anyone could offer a shortcut and post a link regarding not-so-great numbers after 2 years of low carbing and 30-35lbs of weight loss. Apologies if I'm going over old ground that's been covered before.
  #86   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-13, 09:20
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Jimmy Moore has fabulous numbers, except lots of LDL, however he's been getting heart scans done and there is 0 calcification. So, my take on it is that this just happens on long term LC and it shouldn't be a concern.

If you are concerned, get a low xray heartscan done.
  #87   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-13, 10:57

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The two stickies here have tons of info, plus this one:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=449748

200-260 TC is lowest all cause mortality, esp for women.

I had 253 TC last year, and some minor symptoms of low thyroid. I started taking iodine, a few other MDA suggestions, http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-.../#axzz1yvXLrxcT
and one month later both TC and LDL were lower, but I still won't worry about those numbers.

If you dont want any non-essential X-Rays to your chest, the carotid artery ultrasound is a second best.
  #88   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-13, 11:46
Absurdtive

Whofan, your numbers are good. Really. If you or your doctor is wondering about the LDL, ask for a VAP or NMR test. It should show that your LDL is of the harmless, fluffy type and allay any fears. As for thyroid, you need a Free T3 and Reverse T3 test along with both types of antibodies in addition to TSH and Free T4. What were the TSH and Free T4 numbers? Just because they are in range doesn't mean that thyroid is optimal. Do you have any low thyroid symptoms?

--Melissa
  #89   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-13, 13:19

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:

Thanks so much for responding. I'll carefully read the links suggested. The specific thyroid numbers were:

Thyroxine (T4) .............7.8
T3 Uptake ...................39
Free Thyroxine Index.... 3.0
TSH ............................2.780
T4, Free (Direct).......... 1.51

I googled thyroid symptoms and it said:

Feeling tired, weak, or depressed.
Dry skin and brittle nails.
Not being able to stand the cold.
Constipation.
Memory problems or having trouble thinking clearly.
Heavy or irregular menstrual periods.

Only "feeling tired occasionally" applies to me, but I'm 63 and work a full day every day and schlep back and forth to work on the subway, so I think I'm entitled to be a bit tired, lol. Memory is not as good as it used to be either, but then again there's so much more stored in there than, say, 20 years ago.

Would be interested to know if the thyroid numbers look okay or if I should ask for the Free T3 and Reverse T3 tests. Honestly, my doctor is starting to HATE the internet!
  #90   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-13, 14:19
Absurdtive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
Thanks so much for responding. I'll carefully read the links suggested. The specific thyroid numbers were:

Thyroxine (T4) .............7.8
T3 Uptake ...................39
Free Thyroxine Index.... 3.0
TSH ............................2.780
T4, Free (Direct).......... 1.51

I googled thyroid symptoms and it said:

Feeling tired, weak, or depressed.
Dry skin and brittle nails.
Not being able to stand the cold.
Constipation.
Memory problems or having trouble thinking clearly.
Heavy or irregular menstrual periods.

Only "feeling tired occasionally" applies to me, but I'm 63 and work a full day every day and schlep back and forth to work on the subway, so I think I'm entitled to be a bit tired, lol. Memory is not as good as it used to be either, but then again there's so much more stored in there than, say, 20 years ago.

Would be interested to know if the thyroid numbers look okay or if I should ask for the Free T3 and Reverse T3 tests. Honestly, my doctor is starting to HATE the internet!

Check out the symptoms list on the Stop The Thyroid Madness website. It's a bit more comprehensive than most of the others. As for the thyroid numbers, do you have the ranges that were listed for each test? It helps to know whether the numbers were near the top of the range, middle, bottom, etc. My gut feeling from your TSH and Free T4 is that you are hypothyroid, but you might have to find a doctor who is better educated about proper thyroid treatment. In addition to the Free T3 and Reverse T3 tests, you need both antibody tests to rule out Hashimoto's, an autoimmune thyroid disease. I had to switch doctors to get one who was really well-versed in thyroid treatment.

--Melissa