Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 08:06

Plan: SBD + Exercise
Stats: 218/211/135 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Cool Lbwo

I am getting ready to start C1W1D1, Mon 4/29. My problem is the LBWO. I am using my weight bench and treadmill, but my weight bench does not have the leg workout portion. Due to bad knees, I am not able to do any of the excerises that requires a lunge or a squat. I was wondering if the "toning" excerxises found in Denise Austin's-"Hit The SPot" would build muscle? I do know just doing 24 repss of the leg lifts (Thigh trimmer) is a "10" for me. I notice she has toning exercises for the : quads, hamstring, calves, as well as the bum.

Any comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 15:24

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

KT, what I think you are refering to when you say 'toned' is visible muscle definition. The word "tone" is something that has been used and abused so much by the media that it no longer means what it really should. Muscle definition is more a factor of body fat percentage - you can have some well defined muscles but if they are covered by a layer of fat you're not going to see them. "Toned" refers to how they look in a resting state. To get muscles with definition/size they need to be stressed in order to grow. If those exercises get you to a point where you can no longer do them correctly with proper form, then yes, you will get some benefit from them. The quicker you can get this to happen the better - this is why you lift weights to failure with only a few repetitions. Using light weights and doing endless reps is not how you 'get toned', it's how you build up lactic acid and feel a 'burn'

What you might want to do, KT, is have a look through ExRx's muscle directory and find a few exercises you can do that wont hurt your knees. Deadlifts come to mind, as do calf raises, and sissy squats (my boyfriend with a hyper-extended knee does these).

Bottom line, doing anything is better than nothing, and if those exercises cause you to fatigue your muscles then that's a start - but you may find you grow out of them quickly.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 17:00
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Nat.... What is "HTH"??? Been meaning to ask you that!!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 17:29

Plan: SBD + Exercise
Stats: 218/211/135 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Question A few more questions

I think I understand what your saying. It seems I work with weights to the point of failure but no burn. However, with the "toning" exercises I definately feel a burn before my muscles feel fatigued. I can't thank-you enough for saving me from the lactic acid flame-I hate that burn! Muscle fatigue I can deal with-I hope .

I visited exrx. It does have a lot of exercises, but very few that don't require a lunge or a squat. I will just have to pick some that work and hope to get a new and improved bench in the very near future. Did someone say, "Mother's Day"? BTW, what is up with the "weighted donkey calf raise"? I had to double check the site to see if I had inadvertently left the fitness site for something else

Last question, for this post anyway. My DH and I work at a facility with 9 floors. We have used the stairs for exercise in the past. (2 months ago I did 3 sets nonstop, then put my back out 2 days later from walking so crooked-severe calf pain-up and down the few steps in my home-ow!!) We were wondering where this type of step workout would fit into BFL? Aerobic or LBWO?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 17:56

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

KT, I hear you on the donkey calf raises Interesting little movie, no? LOL

Using the stairs would be BFL cardio if you kept to the 'interval' method - slower, faster, slower etc. As long as the steps were not too high or too steep (don't try two at a time, in otherwords) - cardio is not supposed to 'work' the muscles the same way the weight training does. You could use something like this for quads, though. Take a look at Marlaine's gym log for this week - she's doing step ups for her quads - this might be a way for you to get around squats!

Re the lactic acid and failure: BFL uses the pyramid system, 12, 10, 8, 6, 12, 12, and while you do work to failure (in a perfect world) you may also experience the 'burn'. This falls under the category "It's a good idea to mix it up". Lifting to failure helps promote the development of fast twitch muscle fibers, lifting a moderate weight for more reps helps to develop slow twitch muscle fibers, the two, together, are what give you growth.

HTH (for Teri, Hope this helps )
Nat