Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View comments Article tools
~version 2.0~
Rachelle's Story
Posted by Rachelle
Posted Mon, May-31-04
Female 62 inches
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/173/145
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%
Default Rachelle's Story

I started Atkin's in July of 2003.

I had never been on a true "diet" before starting Atkin's the summer of '03.
I was very active during High School (soccer and volleyball player) I would eat just about anything I wanted and would stay pretty fit.
When I graduated from Highschool I began to work in a bar environment and got into some very heavy drug use and began drinking regularly.
Needless to say certain drugs will speed up your metabolism... which is what happened for me. I lost down to about 105lbs. and maintained there. I was not healthy and I'm sure lost a lot of muscle along with fat. I continued on that path for about 2 yrs maybe a bit longer.

I finally decided to better my life and I gave up drugs. Which was very hard for me. Along with that being hard in itself.. I also began to gain weight very rapidly. I went up to about 155-160lbs. within about a 6 month period of time. I went from a size 0/3 to a size 14/16. I was devistated, as I had not changed my eating habits at all...

I tried not eating/ starvation..
I tried low-fat..
I tried Slim fast (LOL)

I was so frustrated that nothing seemed to work.. I even considered going back to my old routine (cocaine & eating once every 3 days)
I knew that was not the answer... i wanted something better for my life.

I then started hearing about Atkin's from a co-worker. She gave me the book and I began to read it. We did the buddy system and both started the Induction phase of the program.
I did not have very fast results in the first 2 weeks. I didn't give up though.. and thought if anything i was "feeling" thinner... I continued Induction for about 3 months and then progressed to OWL (On Going Weight Loss). My weight loss has continued on that path.. very slow and steady. But as I've been reminded time and time again.. it is a WAY OF LIFE.. not a quick fix/ fad diet.

I stayed true to the book and was in search of some new recipes.
That is when I stumbled across this site in about September of '03. I had never been to a forum of any kind so I had no idea what this place was.. other than a place to find recipes.

Well as the weight continued to slowly drop.. I started to find advice and friends on this board that helped me stick with the diet.

I plan to stay Lowcarb for the rest of my life. I would have to say that this site and The Atkin's Diet can possibly be credited to saving my life. I was at a very weak spot where I almost gave up.. and the support system here and the book that opened my eyes (Dr. Atkin's New Diet Revolution) kept me in line..

Here are some pictures... a true before picture that has not made it into my gallery yet.. and a IN PROGRESS picture of me now.
I still have a few pounds that i'd like to lose.. but for the most part i'm very satisfied with my success.

Thank you all for being there for me.. even when you didn't necessarily know what i was going through or who I was. I appreciate it more than you will ever know or understand
Article tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Success Photos
Before
In-Progress
After
Article Attachments
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RachelleBefore&After.jpg (67.3 KB, 719 views)
File Type: jpg sidebyside.jpg (77.7 KB, 320 views)

by danakins on Mon, May-31-04, 19:14

Wow, Rachelle! I wasn't aware of your journey to this place. You are truly inspirational. I'm so glad you are here. You are such a beauty inside and out!

Thanks for sharing,

45 comments [read all comments]

Article tools