Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 12:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 173/169/115
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default new to group and looking for a support buddy or a few

Hi i am a 26 year old mother of three who at one time in my life believe it or not wore a size 4, lol not that you could even remotely tell now. I am 173lbs and am trying to get down to 115lbs. I am trying to reach my goal at around 10lbs a month.
Yes i am married as well we have been married nine years in november. I am the only one in the house on the atkins diet that i just restarted, (today) and have no support from anyone since they dont understand my diet and always have comments to make about it. So anyone who would like to recieve or give support will be greatly appreciated. Thanks , kb
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 12:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/155/120
BF:????
Progress: 46%

Hi there KB,

It sounds like we have quite a bit in common! My names Nicole, I am 24 and have 2 children, I have been married for 2 years in May. I was small at one time too, I was 110lbs. at 5'7" tall until I got pregnant at 18 and ballooned to 190lbs(and stayed that way). When I started Atkins I was 185 and am now 175 a month and a half later. My goal is 120 but I would be more then happy at 140. I see from your profile you enjoy gardening and playing with your children (another thing we have in common). I don't really know how this whole buddy list thing works.

I hope to hear back from you soon, Nic

Last edited by snverge : Mon, Apr-14-03 at 12:38.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 13:00

BF:

hey, thanks for responding, i too gained my weight when i got pregnant and it just always seemed to stay around. you would think chasing after three children would help but unfortunatly my metobolism must have slowed or something. I am back on atkins and hopefully have the will power to stay in induction again as pasta and bread are my downfalls.
So what are your goals, and perhaps some tips that got you through induction easier. I do not know how this buddy list works either, but i believe its people just supporting others in their journey to the new them. Whether it be advice or setting goals or challenges. kb
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 15:22
Registered Member

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!! My 3 year old just PICKED a whole tray of my tomato plants!! OK.......I'm OK now.

You said that you have tried this WOE before? Were you successfull? What made you stop? Sorry for being so nosey, I'm just curious. I have some co-workers who are following atkins (kinda), some of them I see eating pie and ice cream and other junk.

You asked me about my goals, my main goal is to not look pregnant. I've been asked a couple of times and it makes me feel sooooo bad I'm always suckin it in now. Some people gain in their butt more some in their thighs some in their belly and that is me. Wouldn't it be nice if you could just rearrange it, I know EXACTLY where mine would go!!!

hope to hear from you again!! Nic
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 11:00

BF:
Default hi nic

hi again, yes i tried it before and the reason i quit was because it was christmas and you know how great everything tastes around the holidays and it did not help much when i have my husband and all his family saying oh whats one piece of pie going to hurt, or how can you diet around the holidays. It was just really hard especially when they are so disgustingly thin. Not very supportive lol. They mean well, but i just caved and left my diet gained back every ounce i lost and now here i am on day three of atkins.
Sorry to hear about your tomatoe plants by the way hope they're not too damaged.
And i do know what you mean about shifting weight to other places, in my case i just want it gone. I cant stand it any longer and i am ready for a body change lol.
Have a good day, talk at ya later.
kb ( Brandy)
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 14:08
Registered Member

Stats: 206/193/140
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Support

Hi there, I am also a "recovering" low-carber and have been on and off again since 1997. Last year I lost 40 lbs. (30 of which were in the first month), but unfortunately I gained it all back after winter hit. My biggest prob. is that I suffer from seasonal affective disorder and MI is not the place to be when winter lasts about 6-7 months out of the year. So, needless to say, when it started getting cold and ugly out last year I turned to my old "friends" (who are wolves in sheeps clothing) chocolate and pasta to help me through it. I know now that it was the worst thing I could have done for myself. Also, I have a household (hubby and my 4-yr.old daughter) who do not do LC and so it is difficult to stick to it. I'm going to add you to my buddy list so that when you feel like cheating you can send me a message! Feel free to email me anytime, I know I can use all the help I can get, too!
Heidi
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 14:27
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hi.... This is a fantastic and healthy way to get to your goal weight but this...
Quote:
I am trying to reach my goal at around 10lbs a month.

Is quite an unrealistic expectation that may get you very frustrated.

On Atkins - realistic weightloss expectations are 10% of your goal of weight to lose is usually lost during induction then 5% of the remaining weight to lose approx every month.

But this is ok because low carbing burns fat and keeps muscle so even when the scale doesn't move you are still changing your body in great ways. So take measurements and check them at the same time of day once a month (women - same time each month) and see the changes even when you think the scale has slowed down.

All the best.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 16:03
Registered Member

Hi again everyone!!

Well so far it is going good for me 13lbs. in 6 weeks, so it is realistic to a point. I don't think I will carry on loosing as fast as I have been it will probably slow down (hopefully not!).

Luckily all my plants survived!!! I wish she would get past these terrible 3's, but it's fun anyways!

I guess Christmas will be my ultimate test bacause I know what you mean about the food being so good and plentiful and always there in front of your face! I get pressured into eating too. Sometimes I wonder if I hadn't told anyone I was on this diet, if they would even notice I didn't have that peice of pie or potato with my supper. I don't think they would even care. Oh well, we just have to say no to peer pressure!! ......right!

Talk to u again soon, Nic
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 08:38

Plan: The Atkins 6 April 2003
Stats: 200/168/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

Hi KB

I'm also the only one in my home LCing but i have alot of support from my fit as hell DH.I'm 29 and the mother of 3 children.My youngest just turned 6 months old.I was always on the big boned side but after my 1st son i went from a size 10 to a 12 with 2nd son a size 12 to 14 and with daughter a size 14 to 16.I tried slimfast but i felt starving all the time.I heard of The Atkins and brought the book and read it and liked what he was saying as far as a WOE food.I have a goal weight of 150 lbs by my 30th birthday in September i look forward to talking with you as well as others for support during for me the most drastic change to my lifestyle.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 10:27

BF:

Hey there heidibug, thank you so much for adding me to your buddy list i wish i would have checked this last night when my kids were enjoying their huge slices of water melon that i can't have. It looked so good but i resisted thank goodness. Think i will add all of you to my list as well, my e-mail address is available on my profile so if anyone feels the need to to lean on someone i am here as well.

Thank you also ikozelman and lisa i will take into consideration about the scale thing.

And congrats on your weight loss Nic, so many times i have felt that it is important to acknowledge our success and not so much what we dont accomplish.

Kjay, thank you for responding as well i am glad we have a good little support group going. I hope each and everyone of you reaches their goal weight or measurements and with support i know that is something that can keep us going and get us where we need to be.
Talk to yall later,
Brandy happy easter
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 10:54

BF:

Nic is your three year old a boy or girl? I have two boys and a girl. My daughter is 7 and i have a four and two year old. My daughter didn't seem to get into as much trouble as the boys and my recently turned four year old still gets into alot lol, but every child is different and all i can say is this too shall pass. ( we hope right)
I'm right there with ya my boys get into everything they get their hands and mouths on.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 16:15
Registered Member

Hey Brandy,

Sooooooo your tellin me I've got a ways to go yet!! My 3 year old is a girl and she's a hellian compared to my 5 year old boy when he was 3. Maybe it's the first child thing, I know I spent alot more time one on one with my first. The big difference I found between boys and girls is my son is always on the go and my daughter is a little more relaxed. My son just got over his 3rd black eye in a row and then he banged his lip on something and it puffed way out! My daughter (Kendra) does stuff like grabs a tub of margarine out of the fridge and hides in her room and smears it all over her hair. When she gets quiet I worry!!

I still don't know how this buddy list works but I added you to it anyways.

Hi KJAY,

I assume those are your kids on the bottom of your post, they're adorable! How did u get their pic on there like that?

Talk to you all later , Nic
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 00:05
Registered Member

Stats: 206/193/140
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Buddys/beastiemeyers

KB, thanks for having me! Maybe you can help me out since you've been doing this for a while. I went to your profile and where it said contact KB1994 it just added you to my buddy list. How do I access your (and others) email address if available and willing to share? I'm a computer illiterate for the most part so speak in small, easy to understand lingo. I know what you mean about temptations. I have a confession and I wish I could have gotten on the LC forum this afternoon at work. Unfortunately we were so busy that I didn't even really get to eat lunch, which consisted of a cold hot dog and a few sips of diet coke--YUCK! Anyway, my confession is that I ate about 7-10 Butterfinger eggs that we had at work and I feel really guilty about it.
On the subject of kids (my sister used to call my niece "beastiemeyer" when she acted like a demon), I have a four-year-old and she has this problem where if she doesn't eat right away when she is hungry she turns into the spawn of Satan!!! So I sympathize with all of you out there with children under the age of 6. My daughter is 4 going on 14 and you should see the way she cocks her head at me and rolls her eyes when I say something she doesn't neccessarily like!!! Anyway, may the force be with all of you and Happy Easter to all!
Heidi
PS--Sorry to hear about Dr. Atkins passing away today, very sad.

Last edited by heidibug : Fri, Apr-18-03 at 00:08.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 11:48

BF:
Default hey heidi

my e-mail addy should be on my profile if not let me know again but i think i put it as being viible this time. So i hope everyone had a wonderful temptation free easter lol if that was even possible. sorry it has taken me so long to post back but i am in the process of packing and moving so its hard to even get to the computer at times. And dont worry about those eggs heidi just try and try again temptation gets to the better of all of us sometimes. Especially around any holiday function.]

For all of you out there that flaxseed oil is really great, now i can't say that i have tried the flax seed meal you see on the top of the screen on this site, but the oil is great for salads and bunches of other things. Yall should read up on flax seed oil its really beneficial.
talk to yall laters,
Brandy
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 10:03
Registered Member

Hi Brandy,

I've heard of flax seed oil, but what is it for? What does it taste like? What are the benefits of using it opposed to vegetable oil? Sorry for the 20 questions!

Later, Nic