Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 14:32

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Yes, I would love the recipe, thanks! I have gained 2 pounds this week, and I have been eating really well; the only thing I can think of is that I have been having a Fudgesicle each night made with Fructose. Reading the labels on my box of Estee brand crystalline fructose, there are 15 calories and 4g carbohydrate per teaspoon. Reading the label on the sugar bag, plain sugar has 15 calories and 4g carbohydrate per teaspoon. I wonder how fructose can be lower on the glycemic index than sugar is if the nutritional analysis is almost the same!!!?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 15:17

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 167/147/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 54%

Hmm, maybe there's something about the composition of fructose that either makes the body absorb it more slowly, or makes us absorb only a portion of what we ingest? I have been eating home-made ice cream with fructose in it every day for a week and a half without a problem, but of course, we all respond differently.

Here's the cheesecake recipe I use. It's WONDERFUL. If any of it sounds unclear, let me know. Most of the time I eat it plain, but sometimes I'll make a rhubarb sauce to go over it. My hubby eats it with a canned cherry topping. I also have a pro/fat crust for it, but I prefer it without. I can give you that recipe too if you need your cheesecake to have a crust. And let me know how it turns out for you when you try it.

Cheesecake:
*using mascarpone cheese in addition to cream cheese makes for a creamier texture than those made with cream cheese alone.

16 ounces softened cream cheese
16 ounces mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 eggs
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
grated orange or lemon or lime peel (from the whole fruit, plus all the juice and bits of pulp you can get)
*If using lemon/lime, also add 3 teaspoons of lemon or lime juice - the bottled kind - I use both lemon AND lime juice here
*If using orange, you can add 1 tbsp orange extract
1 - 1 1/4 cups splenda (depending on your tastes)

Oven should be heated to 350F. Beat the cream cheese with sweetener until fluffy. Add the
mascarpone cheese and continue to beat until well combined. Add the eggs one at a
time, beating after each addition. Add the vanilla, and cream and beat until fully
combined. Stir in the peel and any juice or extract you're using. Pour into a greased springform pan and bake 15 minutes. Turn the temperature down to 225 and bake an hour and 10-20 minutes.
The cake should be firm around the outside, but the center could be a little wiggly
still. It will continue to cook a little after it is taken out of the oven. Chill uncovered overnight.

***Ovens vary in temperature, so start checking after an hour and 10 minutes. Mine takes exactly 1:10. The center should have a little wiggle to it but it should not be wet to the touch.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 21:36

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Fructose is "left handed"

That means it's chemical composition is the mirror image of glucose. This makes it more difficult for your body to break it down (it takes three reactions to get to the form that your body can use) so it is metabolized more slowly and therefore gives you a very gradual dose of sugar instead of a big whammie as the same amount of sucrose would.

It is also roughly 2/3 as sweet as sugar so you can use less of it and end up with less calories for the same sweetening effects. Many diabetics use Fructose because it does not affect your blood sugar the way other sugars do, but there are others who argue that because it is metabolized differently in your liver than in your muscles breking down in to triglycerides, it can cause elevated LDL (bad) cholesterol levels.

Read the link on the right of this page entitled "the truth about low carb sweeteners"

Another place I found good info was here:
http://www.siouxlandactiveseniors.c...3/fructose.html
Notice he says that "in the range of 15 to 20 percent of daily calories can lead to elevated triglycerides and higher levels of LDL cholesterol"

So if you use this ONLY for your frozen treats and don't overdo (as we have been with our fudgsicles lately) then you should be ok. I use this only in my ice cream and nowhere else and I try to keep that to 1/2 cup serving per day. I do know that it has more effect on me than sucralose or aspartame though and it will stall me if I get carried away.

MB
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 18:19

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

DaVista, thanks for the delicious sounding recipe. I have never used mascarpone; it is like ricotta?

Mamabeek, great information. Thanks for the links; actually the one on this site was informative. You know a lot about sweeteners!
As you said, though, we were overdosing on fudgesicles. As with anything, I suppose moderation is the key to success here.

Sandy

Last edited by Sandylee : Wed, Aug-06-03 at 18:20.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 18:51
Registered Member

Stats: 195/153/125 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 60%

Mascarpone is like double-rich cream cheese! I used to make tiramisu with mascarpone back in the bad old days ... sigh
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 14:40

BF:

Sandy,

It comes in a little plastic tub and it has a very soft, creamy texture, almost like soft ice cream except it's not that cold. You should be able to find it in the same section as Ricotta, or in some stores it's with the specialty cheeses. Where I live it comes in 8oz little round plastic tubs. It makes the cheesecake much, much creamier in texture.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 14:43

BF:

p.s. I've posted this recipe along with a couple of others in the Somersizing dessert forum if you want a couple of other ideas for desserts. One can only eat so much cheesecake before it gets boring (I NEVER thought I would say that about cheesecake). The cheesecake recipe I posted in the other forum also includes a rhubarb sauce and an icing in case you don't want it plain...