Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-19, 12:29

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Yes I to eat far more vegies and for more types of vegies now than in my pre- Atkins life.

At the start of this lc advnture I had checked off the vegies on the allowable list in my first DANDR book, then checking that list just a couple years ago, WOW, almost every vegie would be ticked off now.

Frozen vegies are a tad more nutritious than fresh given the time since harvesting. Usually frozen veg are processed within 24 hours.

Re frozen broccali, I HATE the squishy cubes of the stem. Rather buy fresh and cut up myself. Same with Brussel sprouts. Planning to try growing Brussel spouts next fall and store in basement-- the trick is to keep the sprouts on the stem and remove just before using.

Kale chips!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-19, 12:43

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I have some failed experiences with frozen veggies, especially a bag full of tough fibrous broccoli stems. (fibrous plus freezer burn) yuck! The time it takes to thaw them out, to me it just makes more sense to do it fresh which is like fast food to me.

That sounds great to grow your own Brussels sprouts and leave them on the stem when you harvest. I've seen that in the grocery stores in the past couple of years but they're more expensive that way.

Kale chips are fun to make, I've done it 3-4 times. I buy a bag of baby Kale, olive oil and salt it and lay on a large sheet in single layer. It's very good!

Last edited by Meme#1 : Fri, Feb-01-19 at 21:35.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-19, 19:22

Plan: keto <50 net carbs
Stats: 183/163/140 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl8
The freezer is my best friend. Get a bunch of decent matching storage containers. If they're matching, it makes them easier to make similar servings, stack, and fit in the freezer. I have about a dozen each in two sizes: a cube-shape 2-cup one and a flat square 3-cup. The 2-cups are good for things like soup, casseroles or other dished-up things and the 3-cups are good for flatter pieces of meat. Make a whole recipe of something and dish the other servings into separate containers. Maybe put one in the fridge and then the other couple in the freezer. Take them for your lunch or eat them for other dinners. If you grab one straight out of the freezer in the A.M. it will usually defrost by lunch time, and then it just takes a quick minute in the microwave to reheat.

I find this is a better method than storing it all in one big container--because then you defrost another big lump of something that's too much. You can always choose to defrost more than one if you're having guests. I made a big pot of fish chowder last night and put aside four additional servings. Today I'm going to make a big pork shoulder that I might get six to eight meals from. Though, I'm also thinking about inviting people for dinner, so we'll see.

I have done this in the past, and it's always helped me with variety and having good food available whenever I need it. Another solution has been making food that I always want to have! Last week was chicken tikka masala, and this week will be beef and broccoli. I've never not been in the mood for tikka masala