Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-18, 14:26
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Question A Diet for the New Year

A Diet for the New Year

It's like something else everyone has, but it's only once a year

Make no mistake, Fast Mimicking (FMD) is not "water fasting" you get 500 calories per day from nutrient dense foods!

It's expensive if you buy it. Confusing if you research it -- so here is my personal recommended plan (please excuse the messy formatting).

Any better ideas? I am open to discussion:

Breakfast:

Portions ............................ Calories

2 oz Beef Jerky 116
2 tsp raw Honey 42
1/2 Apple or 1/2 banana 45
2 Alive! gummy vitamins 25
2 - 4 cups black tea or coffee 0

4 or more cups mineral or Walgreen's "Smart Water" per day and enough plain water.

Lunch or Dinner:

1/2 Avocado 162
2 stalks of Celery 12
1 Tbs Cheese or Whiz 80
---------------------
Total: ~ 520 Calories 30g Protein 53g Carb 40g Fat

Order of foods can be changed, but not items or serving size.

*Works like the ProLon Diet Plan: 5-days for $249 [free shipping]

“The brilliant part of The Fasting Mimicking Diet is that…your body sees food but your brain sees fasting.”

"A rose is a rose, but a calorie is not a calorie."

https://sanesolution.com/lp/videos/calories/
Quote:
You don’t need a pre-packaged box to do a fast mimicking diet, though—especially if you want to keep the diet low-carb ketogenic. Just stick to the calorie percentages and consider how you’ll space them out each day. Make sure you plan out all the food for the entire fast so there’s nothing else to worry about.
https://perfectketo.com/fasting-mim...d-how-to-do-it/

Last edited by mike_d : Mon, Dec-31-18 at 14:51. Reason: ?formatting
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-18, 16:41

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr. Longo has a book, The Longevity Diet: Discover the New Science Behind Stem Cell Activation and Regeneration to Slow Aging, Fight Disease, and Optimize Weight – January 2, 2018. As I remember, it had real food alternatives to buying Prolon. Had it from our library so not able to look it up for you. Olives, Miso soup, etc.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-18, 22:54
Grease is the word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Dr. Longo has a book, The Longevity Diet: Discover the New Science Behind Stem Cell Activation and Regeneration to Slow Aging, Fight Disease, and Optimize Weight – January 2, 2018. As I remember, it had real food alternatives to buying Prolon. Had it from our library so not able to look it up for you. Olives, Miso soup, etc.
Thanks, it's all over Amazon. Good reviews too. Ill look into it tomorrow when the fireworks are hopefully over
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-19, 08:29

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Dr. Longo's book referred to the website for the FMD. Good book, great read.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-19, 10:01

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

If I had a weeks supply of beef jerky, or the nuts that Longo's commercial plan relies on, I'd eat it all on day one.

I think I could probably make a go of this if I just stopped off at the dollar store, and bought little packets of jerky and nuts, a day's worth at a time, rather than keeping them in the house. That extra step of purchasing versus having and portioning out seems to make a big difference for me.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-19, 12:23

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

Theres a group on facebook for people who are doing fmd without the prolon package. Ie with real food. They post their menus and meal ideas etc. I found it fairly easy just to fast, but had planned to use the fmd meal,ideas if fasting didnt work out for me.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-19, 14:19
Grease is the word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
If I had a weeks supply of beef jerky, or the nuts that Longo's commercial plan relies on, I'd eat it all on day one.

I think I could probably make a go of this if I just stopped off at the dollar store, and bought little packets of jerky and nuts, a day's worth at a time, rather than keeping them in the house. That extra step of purchasing versus having and portioning out seems to make a big difference for me.
I hear ya Jerky is very more-ish buy it's also very satisfying and filling if you wait a bit before eating more. Most from stores have additives and even sugar. I get mine locally from a butcher shop. They also can ship it because it keeps well. I like there's better than Alderspring's because I don't like smoke flavors or added sugar in meats.

http://www.dziuks.com/shop/chunk-beef-jerky

Dollar general does have little white boxes of a "protein pack" containing nuts, jerky and something else I can't recall. Those are fairly descent if fresh. I recommend the one with "Honey Roasted Peanuts"

Last edited by mike_d : Tue, Jan-01-19 at 14:25.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-19, 08:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Mike,

I picked up the book again from the library. Longo is anti-saturated fats, in fact calls them "the BAD animal saturated fats" through the book. The make-our-own version has 25g of PLANT-based protein on day one, no protein Day 2-5 so Jerky is obviously out.

Also no fruit, honey, cheese nor even avocado mentioned.

The FMD on page 114:

Day 1- 1,100 Calories
500 cal complex carbs (veggies)
500 cal healthy fats (nuts, olive oil)
25 g plant-based protein, mostly nuts.
1 multi, 1 Omega 3, tea, unlimited water.

Day 2-5 - 800 calories
400 cal. complex carbs
400 cal healthy fats
1 multi, 1 omega 3, tea,

Day 6-Transition with mostly complex carbs.

Also suggests 3 meals a day, or two and a snack.

This is way too complicated for me, why I stopped reading and didn't remember much about Longo's FMD itself. The cancer and longevity info is good though.

My suggestion, Stay VLC and eat in a Time Restricted window, like OMAD, and it's easy as pie. (no, not that type of pie ) https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=472377

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Jan-04-19 at 02:58.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-19, 09:27

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
My suggestion, Stay VLC and eat in a Time Restricted window, like OMAD, and it's easy as pie. (no, not that type of pie ) https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=472377

Thank you, Dr. JEY. Sound advice compared to the alternatives. When there are too many complicated guidelines, there's usually something to sell. Eating healthy whole foods should be simple. I haven't been able to evaluate Longo, as I'm always sensing an agenda with him. While I may be wrongo, the jury for me is still out on Longo. Sorry, couldn't resist . . .
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-19, 09:37

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Longo needs to do a study using animal fats with his protocol. I don't think we can assume it would be the same, better, or worse. But the suspicion, since the theory is that proximity to the fasted state--that is, not eating a whole lot, especially of insulinogenic foods--gives the measured benefits, should certainly be that you can approach fasted with animal fats as readily as with plant. I know in my case, just butter in coffee feels an awful lot like fasted, but without hunger.

As far as the profile of the fats you're burning for energy goes, the animal fat might even be closer to your body fat in content of various fatty acids, in case that matters.

Higher quality animal protein might be a problem, making the effective protein intake higher if you keep it to the same number of grams. I think not bothering with the carbs might make up for that.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-19, 09:47

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

Yeah I would just fast on your own. Not so sure about this plan.