Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-19, 10:50

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Low carb weight loss counselling leads to multiple health benefits

Low carb weight loss counselling leads to multiple health benefits

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...s-98508571.html

Quote:
Including low carb weight loss counselling helped people with type 2 diabetes reduce weight, use less medication and reduce hypoglycemia in a randomised research trial.

The finding comes from a 48-week study carried out by researchers at the Duke Diet & Fitness Center in Durham, North Carolina. The study involved 263 participants who were veterans with type 2 diabetes.

The participants were predominantly male (89%), with an average age of 61 years old and average HbA1c levels of 76 mmol/mol (9.1%) at the start of the study.

The study involved two groups. Both groups attended group medical visits which enabled them to receive education, self-management skills training and help with managing medication. One of the groups were given low carbohydrate diet counselling and had their medication reduced. This group had medical visits to ensure their medication was correctly optimised on the low carb diet.

The results at 48 weeks showed greater weight loss in those in the low carb weight loss counselling group. Participants lost nearly 4kg more on average than the other group. The low carb group had lower use of medication and experienced 50% fewer episodes of hypoglycemia.

HbA1c levels were similar between the groups after 48 weeks. However, it should be noted that the low carb group were taking less medication and were experiencing less hypoglycemia which will have conferred an appearance of advantage, in terms of HbA1c, to the non-low carb group.

Lead author and director of the Duke Diet & Fitness Center, Dr William Yancy, said: “Intensive weight management using a low carbohydrate diet can be as effective for glycemic improvement as medication intensification.

“We know that lifestyle changes can be difficult to maintain, but this study shows that group meetings can be an efficient and effective strategy that helps patients sustain these improvements.”

The findings are published in the JAMA Internal Medicine journal.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-19, 15:32

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

It's great to see studies finally getting published!

Between Virta's results, Duke Diet and Intensive Dietary Management, lots of "grassroots" studies getting out into journals and the news.

Makes me think of Dr. Bernstein who had to become an MD in order to get anyone to publish his findings on using a glucose meter to help manage T1 diabetes with carb restriction in addition to insulin.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-19, 16:12

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Dr. Oz had a really nice segment the other day all about controlling and preventing diabetes with LC. I was very surprised to see he's come around...finally!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-19, 16:36

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Dr. Oz had a really nice segment the other day all about controlling and preventing diabetes with LC. I was very surprised to see he's come around...finally!
But he'll probably have another high-carb low-fat vegan show next week.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-19, 16:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
But he'll probably have another high-carb low-fat vegan show next week.

So True!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-19, 15:16

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I think low carb for diabetes will have surprisingly high compliance. Most of the diabetics I know who follow the guidelines wind up being told they are "brittle" diabetics and complications are inevitable.

When the truth is there's no way to eat that amount of carbs and "cover" with insulin. It was the treatment that was creating the poor outcomes!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-19, 15:41

BF:

Quote:
When the truth is there's no way to eat that amount of carbs and "cover" with insulin. It was the treatment that was creating the poor outcomes!

There is no way!
They only get sicker and sicker and buy more drugs to make the pharmaceutical corps profits. They will never get better only worse.... no cure ever.

The not for profits like Diabetes assn are to blame, they must all be in bed together...
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-19, 04:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Good summary of this study and Virta's using LC for Diabetes on DietDoctor: https://www.dietdoctor.com/new-stud...ing-for-the-win

I've been checking everyday for any mainstream media to pick up this study for Diabetes month...nothing, nada, that I have found in the US. Reported on a few of the medical media sites...but all the major papers..nothing.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-19, 07:29

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Having a group like this forum is very beneficial to staying compliant, too.

An informal version of counseling....
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-19, 08:11

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I know a type 1 diabetic who would eat sugar and inject insulin to compensate. Over her lifetime she went legally blind, has severe neuropathy, and needed a dual organ transplant (pancreas and kidney).

She is no longer diabetic, but can't see out of one eye and can hardly see out of the other (she can't read or drive). She still has the neuropathy and is also on anti-rejection drugs that suppress here immune system.

The insulin burns the blood vessels as much as the sugar does. IMHO the less insulin you need to excrete the healthier you will be. Of course that means the fewer carbs, especially those with a high glycemic index or load.

I've read that insulin is called "The killer hormone".

So IMO the LC counseling should be the primary response to diabetes, only supplemented by modern medicine if it doesn't do the job completely (or if you are type 1).

Bob
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-19, 09:09

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

My dad would eat bowls of ice cream and then inject extra insulin. He had a foot amputated and later died of a diabetes-related heat attack.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-19, 09:56

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

For some reason I've been seeing advice on social media to diabetics to cover desserts with insulin. Absolutely crazy. I'm on meds & a strict lc diet (so far I need that combo for my bg to stay low enough.) I've seen what happens with poorly controlled diabetes - & been to a few funerals - & don't want to end my life that way.

I met a guy at a pre-Thanksgiving dinner last night who noted that I didn't have any carbs (except for limited veggies) on my plate. He understood because his mother had died of diabetes complications. Yet he & his wife were both overweight & chowing down on every carb in sight - including multiple desserts. Which is a lot like I behaved around food when I knew I was heading in the direction of t2 & my dad was very unwell from it. We don't all connect the dots very well.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-19, 06:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
My dad would eat bowls of ice cream and then inject extra insulin. He had a foot amputated and later died of a diabetes-related heat attack.

My own father was still doing well when I bought him Dr. Bernstein's book. But my stepmother would not hear of it: her claim to fame is her cooking. And he did love his beer and bread.

It was a similar horror story, only with mental issues more than physical ones.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-19, 06:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Yet he & his wife were both overweight & chowing down on every carb in sight - including multiple desserts. Which is a lot like I behaved around food when I knew I was heading in the direction of t2 & my dad was very unwell from it. We don't all connect the dots very well.

Part of me seeking out Atkins in the first place was a strategy to avoid disaster, not welcome it in and give it cake.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-19, 06:52

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I met a guy at a pre-Thanksgiving dinner last night who noted that I didn't have any carbs (except for limited veggies) on my plate. He understood because his mother had died of diabetes complications. Yet he & his wife were both overweight & chowing down on every carb in sight - including multiple desserts. Which is a lot like I behaved around food when I knew I was heading in the direction of t2 & my dad was very unwell from it. We don't all connect the dots very well.

Yesterday I attended a 70th anniversary party for my former neighbors who are 89 and 90. They moved to an assisted living facility about 6 months ago. Since I don't have a car their daughter drove me to the party. I know that her father is diabetic as is she. They are both on insulin. The daughter had made a beautiful 3 tier cake. Everybody chowed down on cake and ice cream except for me. It really saddens me. These people have multiple health problems, most likely related to diabetes. I wish we had some other way to celebrate these events without ingesting poison.

Nobody lives forever. We will all eventually die but so many people die after years of avoidable suffering due at least in part to their diet. My paternal grandmother had multiple strokes and two legs amputated before she died of the effects of diabetes. I am doing the best I can to avoid this kind of fate for myself. I am also doing the best I can to never have to move into an assisted living facility where the food that is served will not be low carb and will not conform to all the foods I must avoid because of my food sensitivities. I am very fortunate that I have been able to figure out through my own research and self experimentation what I need to do to optimize my health. I only wish others could do the same.