Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 10:53

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/200/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Thumbs up Ye Ole Stillman Trick

I know we've talked about this approach ad nauseum but I just started it a week ago and I love it. Except for the limited variety I don't mind the diet. By really restricting the types of food I ate and getting down to basics I started dropping weight rapidly. Trying to remember not to drop a tablespoon of butter on my eggs in the morning was tough to get used to, now I'm into the swing of things and it's not too bad. I've lost 5.4 lbs in 6 days. I think this is a great stall buster and can get things moving for people.

How many of you have tried this diet?
How long did you stay on it?
What were your results?

I'm planning on staying on it for 2 weeks, then going to strict induction for 2 weeks and back to Stillman's. I'd like to hear experiences from other people that have tried it. Thanks

~ Cori ~
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 19:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: ?/?/120 Female 5 feet 7  inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

I would really like to know about this as well. I started it today, but I really don't know the rules to this. Stillman says that we should not have any kind of oil in our cooking, but then the meat/egg fast allows oil. Which one is better. I know that the purpose of this is to keep our carbs as close to 0 as possible, but can we have heavy cream in our coffee? It has 0 carbs?

This is what I have eaten today.

3 eggs in the morning. (made with Pam)
coffee with 2 splendas and heavy cream
chicken for lunch
steak for dinner (grilled on the foreman and brushed with some EVOO)
about 80 ounces of water.

what do you guys think?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 19:01

BF:
Wink

I just kept myself restricted to eggs, hamburger and chicken. I had some tuna yesterday because I finally made it to the store, but otherwise that was it. I didn't drink anything but water. I skimmed the fat off the meat as much as possible and it went pretty well. Lost 6lbs in 7 days. Now I'm back on Atkin's and will do this for a week then back to Stillman's.

~ Cori ~
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-05, 09:55

Stats: ?/?/120 Female 5 feet 7  inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

Did you cook your food in oil? Or did you grill the meat?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 16:50

Stats: 191.2/161.4/140 Female 5' 10"
BF:no clue/28.46%/:)
Progress: 58%

I just started this as well 3 days ago. So far I've lost six pounds. The lack of hunger is just unbelievable! I think when you start getting to lax on atkins it's easy to forget the appetite surpression that comes with induction. I do follow the rules as far as no extra fat, I don't eat any dairy, and I feel wonderful. After 2 weeks of this I'm going to go into KISS where you focus on whole foods and still no dairy. (I love cheese but it really slows weight loss for me!) Anyways-It's good to see other people having fun with this too!

Cheers-Em
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 10:47
Registered Member

Plan: psmf
Stats: 180/159/129 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default stalled

I started doing this and I was losing a pound a day. Then, after 4 days, I hit a stall. Cant figure out why. I mean, if you stall on this whats left? I think it might have had to do with the appetite suppression and too little food. Has anyone found whether more or less food helps them?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 06:06

BF:
Wink

I had problems with hunger on this diet, I had much more frequent feedings than I did while on full fat atkin's. The fat in that diet kept me satiated longer than on Stillman's. But have to agree that the quick weight loss was nice. I could tell a very marked difference in my energy levels though. To me, Stillman's was not a way of eating I could maintain for more than a week or two. I didn't like the run down feeling it gave me, maybe that was just because I was losing weight so rapidly. I was even taking prenatal vitamins for those 6 days so I know I wasn't short on nutrients! No I'm not prego, but do take prenatal vitamins when I feel like I'm getting sick or when I'm on a highly restrictive diet. When I went back to atkin's I gained 3lbs back, I think next time I should very gradually increase my carbs. Not from 0 to 20 in one day. Maybe adding 5 in one day...Then 5 in a few more days. That might slow down the weight increase. I ordered the Dr. Stillman's weight loss book off of Amazon.com and can't wait to read it. I'd like to see the scientific fact behind the diet. Anyhow, I'm off to work Take care all !!!

~ Cori ~
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 06:07

BF:

Nope, didn't cook my food in oil at all... nothing, just a non stick pan. Makes for some funky eggs, usually scrambled Kinda dry but edible none the less. All my meats were cooked in a roaster with some broth and spices to keep them moist. I peeled off the skin and fat and just ate the meat. I drained all the fat from my hamburger and even rinsed it before I ate it.

~ Cori ~
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-05, 20:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 215/175/175 Female 5'11"
BF:22
Progress: 100%

Hi, I have been hearing alot about this over the last few days. I was on another forum this morning and I heard that people have died from eatign all protein even if for a few days. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-05, 08:24
Chaos in the flesh!

Plan: custom
Stats: 386/218.2/167 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 77%

Stillman is my answer. I have lost 36 lbs since just after Christmas - It would be more but I did fall off the wagon a few times. I know when I stay strict, I lose about 5 lbs a week on average. I don't feel hungry all day long - just when I really am hungry. I usually have tons of energy (lately I haven't but I think that's related to outside stress) anyway - its important as with any diet to listen to your body. When you're as restrictive as you are when you're following Stillman, you must pay attention to what your body says - do you need a fiber suppliment? Your body will let you know - pay attention to it!
As for multi vitamins - take them - whether you're dieting or not, its always a good idea. Pay attention to what's in them. If you eat a lot of red meat, take one without iron in it. An overabundance of iron can give you problems. It also will make your TOM much heavier! The simplest and most cost effective way to do this instead of buying a "low carb option" vitamin is to take a men's multivitamin. If you look at the labels, they're typically the same as the women's other than it has no iron (or very little) and a higher amount of potassium - which is great if you're working out - stops muscle cramps! Women should also make sure that they're taking a calcium suppliment - if you eat cottage cheese like I do - a cup a day, then its not too worrysome, but women never get enough calcium in their diets anyway - no matter how much they eat - and if you've ever been pregnant, ever plan on being pregnant, getting your calcium is important! So take that suppliment! I'm very happy with Stillman - sure, its very restrictive, but less options for me means less chance of stretching those options into a full-blown cheat! Here's my daily menu.

Breakfast
2 hb eggs (eat whites only)
1/2 cup 1% low fat cottage cheese

Lunch
2 grilled chicken breasts seasoned with garlic

Dinner
2 grilled chicken breasts seasoned with garlic
1/2 1% low fat cottage cheese

If I feel the need for a snack, I have a low carb yogurt, but I typically don't - except on weekends or nights I may stay up really late.

I drink at least - I mean at the very least 64 oz of water a day.

It may seem bland, but ya know - its really not bad at all. I use different spices and seasonings etc. I also will use a deli mustard or a no fat miracle whip for a sauce for the chicken once in a while to spice things up.

I still have a diet coke vice - can't seem to stay away from it. I don't know if the caffeine hinders me or not - I was off the sauce for a while and I didn't really track the difference - I'm going to try it again very soon. Anyway - with anything - you should always remain in contact with your doctor - have your bloodwork checked regularly - don't overexert yourself and pay attention to what your body tells you.
Any diet, way of eating change can be detrimental to you IF there's underlying circumstances. If your body has a problem processing protein (very rare) then if you switch to an all protein diet, it could be dangerous. Once again, the key is to know your body.
There are misconceptions about Stillman - its not an "eat protein for the rest of your life" diet - there is a maintenance step as well. Just like atkins, there are phases. You aren't going to lose 50 lbs in a week - or a month really but I have lost 36 in a few months and would have lost more if I had just not fallen off the wagon - Its just not worth it - the birthday cake or the cookie or any of it. Its not worth it.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-05, 23:26
Registered Member

Plan: psmf
Stats: 180/159/129 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hi rissa, I was wondering if you have been working out in addition to the stillmans. I have heard that working out can scare your body into thinking its starving and stall you. I have alot of energy though, so i would like to start but I dont want to stall. Thanks
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-05-05, 15:30
Chaos in the flesh!

Plan: custom
Stats: 386/218.2/167 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by admo
Hi rissa, I was wondering if you have been working out in addition to the stillmans. I have heard that working out can scare your body into thinking its starving and stall you. I have alot of energy though, so i would like to start but I dont want to stall. Thanks

I think its very important to work out - Its the one thing you really need to do to kickstart your body. Yes, you CAN get your body into starvation mode, BUT not by working out - by actually starving yourself If I don't work out, I don't lose nearly as much weight, and what I do lose is muscle anyway - its so very important - even if you're just walking for 30 minutes 3 times a week - that's a GREAT start!