Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 08:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 191/170/125
BF:
Progress: 32%
Smile Just like McDonald's Breakfast Burritos

Hi Everyone! I haven't been here long, but I've been enjoying the recipes. I thought I'd share my own favorite egg variation.

Please note that I'm making this for my whole family, but the leftovers keep well in the fridge for a few days.

1 dozen eggs, beaten
1 lb. carb-free bulk breakfast sausage
One small can green chiles, chopped
Cheddar cheese...I used about 3 ounces, but you can play with it.

Brown the sausage, drain it and set it aside. Scramble the eggs. (I use the sausage pan.) Mix in half of the chopped green chiles (save the other half for next time) and the sausage when the eggs are about half cooked, but wait to add the cheese until it's very close to done, to avoid having it all stick to the pan. Mmm...yummy.

If you wanted to make it very McD's like, and you aren't on induction, like me, you could use a low-carb tortilla, put a slice of American cheese on it, then fill it with the scrambled egg mixture and roll it up. I think they also add some red pepper for color, but I can't taste it, so I didn't add any.

Enjoy

Last edited by AmandaH : Tue, Jul-01-03 at 08:42.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 12:08

Plan: I do my own thing...LOL
Stats: 220/207/190 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 43%

I LOVE BREAKFAST BURRITOS!!!

I just wanted to add a suggestion for anyone in a hurry and/or lazy (like me) who doesn't like to chop things up.

Rather than using the green chilis, I add about 2-3 Tablespoons (more or less to taste) of Pace Picante Salsa to the eggs. Add the salsa after the eggs are just about done, and heat just long enough to warm the salsa. The salsa has the green chilis in it and this way you aren't added chilled salsa to your warm burrito!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 07:37

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 180/151/125
BF:
Progress: 53%

low carb tortillias are allowed on induction.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 08:00

Plan: Atkins-esque
Stats: 200/158/150 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

I'll try this for my husband -- he doesn't cook, but has ventured into making his own eggs cooked over-hard and even took a course on making deviled-eggs when I last made them.

I've figured that if I keep some shredded cheese available and reduce the number of ingredients in a recipe to manageable numbers (3 or less for his attention span in the kitchen) I can encourage him to make at least his own breakfast, if not anyone else's.

This sounds like something he would enjoy, and without the LC tortillas, as he avoids "extras" that boost carb counts needlessly. He began making wraps more than 10 years ago before they were "in", and used to be a carb-loader extraordinaire, so to forego a tortilla is a big deal.

Thanks the the recipe!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 19:58

Plan: Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution
Stats: 293/277/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALLQUEEN

What page in the DANDR is that on please?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-04, 07:37

Plan: SBD/Atkins
Stats: 160/155/140 Female 5ft 8 in
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALLQUEEN

I have not been able to find this information in the book. Is this trus?? Also where can I find low carb tortias and what is considered low cab??? How many carbs per serving
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 18:28
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

Just to let you know: low carb tortillas are NOT allowed on Induction. Please refer to the allowable food list for induction.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 12:10

Plan: zone
Stats: 175/175/155 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

Although low carb tortillas are not mentioned in DANDR (nor are pork rinds), the book may have been printed (2002) before the introduction of many of the new low carb choices. On the Atkins.com web page, there is a recipe for Ham-Cheese-Spinach Stromboli that uses low carb tortillas, and is approved for the Induction phase.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 07:49

Stats: 305/214/175 Female 5,7
BF:
Progress:

I think she is right, low carb tortillas are ok for phase I, so is I slice of Low-Carb bread. When you look in his book for menu idea's he has it on induction.

GCS
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 06:34

Plan: Atkins-modified diabetic
Stats: 259/259/130 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

There is a tortilia-like food that is acceptable on Atkins Induction phase, however the term used here is 'pancake' which, in the 1992 reprint of the popular 1970's DANDR, is used in the following context, taken directly from the book:

Quote:
Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution - Page 306 - Part V, Section II - Typical Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner Selctions, listed under 'Induction'.

Basic pancakes--This deserves specal mention. The erecipe will work as crepes, as well as pancakes and can be used as the basis for blintez, tacos, dessert crepe or pork or chicken mu shu. It is an enormously adabptable snack ingredient.

Then, the recipe itself shown on page 373:

1/2 C soya powder
3 eggs
1/2 C water
1/4 tsp salt
cooking oil

Combine first four ingredients in a blender.
Heat 8-inch omlet pan or skillet covered with oil. When oil is piping hot, add 3 T of batter. Spread evenly in pan. Saute quickly on side, then the other. Put pancake on platter and finish batter.

6 servings

Total = 12g
Per Serving = 2.0

Just a thought...for anyone interested in making their own LC bases for these burritos.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 21:03

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Researched Induction

I researched Induction before beginning and torillas were not on the list. It said I could have certain veggies, certain cheeses, eggs, meat, butter, mayo, and certain oils. Exactly where on the Atkins site does it state that? You really can't go by the recipe selections because from what I understand some of those are shared by LCers and so when allowed is their opinion. Induction is meant to be pretty lean on choices. I can see adding the LC tortillas later, but not during Induction. If it were on the list then I would have definitely been having those because then I could have Quesadeas (I know, I need to learn how to spell)! What is the carb, calorie, fat, and protein stats on this item? And ingredients? I know, I can get all this from the store but I don't buy groceries until Friday evening!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 21:07

BF:
Default Went to Atkins to see...

The table didn't transfer well! But you get the idea!

Acceptable Foods
These are the foods you may eat liberally during Induction:

All fish,

All fowl,
including ...

All shellfish,
including ...

All meat,
including ...

All eggs,
including ...

tuna

chicken

oysters*

beef

scrambled

salmon

turkey

mussels*

pork

fried

sole

duck

lobster

lamb

poached

trout

goose

clams

bacon**

soft-boiled

flounder

Cornish hen

squid

veal

hard-boiled

sardines

quail

shrimp

ham**

deviled

herring

pheasant

crabmeat

venison

omelets

*Oysters and mussels are higher in carbs than other shellfish, so limit them to four ounces per day.

**Processed meats, such as ham, bacon, pepperoni, salami, hot dogs and other luncheon meats—and some fish—may be cured with added sugar and will contribute carbs. Try to avoid meat and fish products cured with nitrates, which are known carcinogens. Also beware of products that are not exclusively meat, fish or fowl, such as imitation fish, meatloaf and breaded foods. Finally, do not consume more than four ounces of organ meats a day.

OTHER FOODS THAT ARE ACCEPTABLE DURING INDUCTION

Cheese
You can consume three to four ounces daily of the following full-fat, firm, soft and semisoft aged cheeses*, including:

cheddar
cow, sheep and goat cheese
cream cheese
Gouda
mozzarella
Roquefort and other blue cheeses
Swiss

*All cheeses have some carbohydrate content. The quantity you eat should be governed by that knowledge. The rule of thumb is to count 1 ounce of cheese as equivalent to 1 gram of carbohydrate. Note that cottage cheese, farmer’s cheese and other fresh cheeses are not permitted during Induction. No "diet" cheese, cheese spreads or whey cheeses are permitted. Individuals with known yeast symptoms, dairy allergy or cheese intolerance must avoid cheese. Imitation cheese products are not allowed, except for soy or rice cheese—but check the carbohydrate content.

Vegetables
You can have two to three cups per day of:

alfalfa sprouts
daikon
mushrooms
arugula
endive
parsley
bok choy
escarole
peppers
celery
fennel
radicchio
chicory
jicama
radishes
chives
lettuce
romaine lettuce
cucumber
mâche
sorrel

These salad vegetables are high in phytonutrients and provide a good source of fiber.

Other Vegetables
You can have one cup per day of these veggies if salad does not exceed two cups. The following vegetables are slightly higher in carbohydrate content than the salad vegetables:

artichoke
celery root
pumpkin
artichoke hearts
rhubarb
asparagus
chard
sauerkraut
bamboo shoots
collard greens
scallions
dandelion
snow peas
bean sprouts
dandelion greens
spaghetti squash
beet greens
eggplant
spinach
broccoli
hearts of palm
string or wax beans
broccoli rabe
kale
summer squash
brussels
kohlrabi
tomato
bean sprouts
leeks
turnips
cabbage
okra
water chestnuts
cauliflower
onion
zucchini

If a vegetable, such as spinach or tomato, cooks down significantly, it must be measured raw so as not to underestimate its carb count.

Salad Garnishes

crumbled crisp bacon
grated cheese
minced hard-boiled egg
sautéed mushrooms
sour cream

Spices
All spices to taste, but make sure none contain added sugar.

Herbs

basil
garlic
rosemary
cayenne pepper
ginger
sage
cilantro
oregano
tarragon
dill
pepper
thyme

For salad dressing, use oil and vinegar (but not balsamic vinegar, which contains sugar) or lemon juice and herbs and spices. Prepared salad dressings without added sugar and no more than two carbs per tablespoon serving are also fine.

Acceptable Fats and Oils
Many fats, especially certain oils, are essential to good nutrition. Olive oil is particularly valuable. All other vegetable oils are allowed, the best being canola, walnut, soybean, grapeseed, sesame, sunflower and safflower oils, especially if they are labeled "cold-pressed" or "expeller-pressed." Do not cook polyunsaturated oils, such as corn, soybean and sunflower oil, at high temperatures or allow to brown or smoke.

Butter is allowed. Margarine should be avoided, not because of its carbohydrate content, but because it is usually made of trans fats (hydrogenated oils), which are a serious health hazard. (Some nonhydrogenated margarines are available in health-food stores.)

You don't have to remove the skin and fat from meat or fowl. Salmon and other cold-water fish are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids.

Remember that trying to do a low-fat version of the Atkins Nutritional ApproachTM will interfere with fat burning and derail your weight loss.

Artificial Sweeteners
You must determine which artificial sweeteners agree with you, but the following are allowed: sucralose (marketed as Splenda™), saccharin, cyclamate and acesulfame-K. Natural sweeteners ending in the suffix "-ose," such as maltose, fructose, etc., should be avoided. However, certain sugar alcohols, such as maltitol, do not affect blood sugar and are acceptable.

Saccharin has been extensively studied, and harmful effects were produced in the lab when fed to rats only in extremely high doses. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has removed saccharin from its list of carcinogens, basing its decision upon a thorough review of the medical literature and the National Institute of Science’s statement that there is "no clear association between saccharin and human cancer." It can be safely consumed in moderation, meaning no more than three packets a day. Saccharin is marketed as Sweet'n Low™.

The Atkins preference, however, is sucralose (Splenda™), the only sweetener made from sugar. Sucralose is safe, noncaloric and does not raise blood sugar. It has been used in Canada for years, and the FDA recently approved it after reviewing more than 100 studies conducted over the past 20 years. Note that each packet of sugar substitute contains about 1 gram of carbohydrate, so don’t forget to include the amount in your daily totals.

Acceptable Beverages
Be sure to drink a minimum of eight eight-ounce glasses of water each day, including:

Filtered water
Mineral water
Spring water
Tap water

Additionally, you can have the following:

Clear broth/bouillon (not all brands; read the label)
Club soda
Cream, heavy or light (limit to two to three tablespoons a day; note carbohydrate content)
Decaffeinated coffee or tea*
Diet soda made with sucralose (Splenda™); be sure to count the carbs
Essence-flavored seltzer (must say "no calories")
Herb tea (without barley or any fruit sugar added)
Lemon juice or lime juice (note that each contains 2.8 grams carbohydrate per ounce); limit to two to three tablespoons

*Excessive caffeine may cause unstable blood sugar and should be avoided by those who suspect they are caffeine dependent. Everyone should try to avoid caffeine. Grain beverages (coffee substitutes) are not allowed. Alcoholic beverages are also not permitted during Induction; those low in carbohydrates are an option, in moderation, in later phases.

Special Category Foods
To add variety, each day you can also eat 10 to 20 olives, half a small avocado, an ounce of sour cream or three ounces of unsweetened heavy cream, as well as two to three tablespoons of lemon juice or lime juice. But be aware that these foods occasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks. If you seem to be losing slowly, moderate your intake of these foods.

Convenience Foods
Although it is important that you eat primarily unprocessed foods, some controlled carb food products can come in handy when you are unable to find appropriate food, can’t take time for a meal or need a quick snack. More and more companies are creating healthy food products that can be eaten during the Induction phase of Atkins. Just remember two things:

Not all convenience food products are the same, so check labels and carbohydrate content. (See the Online Store for Atkins brand products.)
While any of these foods can make doing Atkins easier, don’t overdo it. Remember, you must always follow The Rules of Induction.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 21:09

BF:
Default Rules of Induction

I know, you all have seen this before, but I felt as though I should be sharing this. I skimmed over and still didn't see the tortillas! If they are there then please show me because I would love to have them!

The Rules of Induction
This phase of the Atkins Nutritional Approach™ must be followed precisely to achieve success. If you do it at all incorrectly you may prevent weight loss and end up saying, "Here is another weight-loss plan that didn't work." Also, check out "Extra Cautions," below.

Memorize the following rules as though your life depends upon it. In fact, it does.

Eat either three regular-size meals a day or four or five smaller meals. Do not skip meals or go more than six waking hours without eating.
Eat liberally of combinations of fat and protein in the form of poultry, fish, shellfish, eggs and red meat, as well as pure, natural fat in the form of butter, mayonnaise, olive oil, safflower, sunflower and other vegetable oils (preferably expeller-pressed or cold-pressed).
Eat no more than 20 grams a day of carbohydrate, most of which must come in the form of salad greens and other vegetables. You can eat approximately three loosely packed cups of salad, or two cups of salad plus one cup of other vegetables (see Acceptable Foods).
Eat absolutely no fruit, bread, pasta, grains, starchy vegetables or dairy products other than cheese, cream or butter. Do not eat nuts or seeds in the first two weeks. Foods that combine protein and carbohydrates, such as chickpeas, kidney beans and other legumes, are not permitted at this time.
Eat nothing that isn't on the Acceptable Foods list. And that means absolutely nothing. Your "just this one taste won't hurt" rationalization is the kiss of failure during this phase of Atkins.
Adjust the quantity you eat to suit your appetite, especially as it decreases. When you're hungry, eat the amount that makes you feel satisfied, but not stuffed. When you're not hungry, eat a small controlled carbohydrate snack to accompany your nutritional supplements.
Don't assume any food is low in carbohydrate—instead, read labels. Check the carb count (it's on every package) or use a carbohydrate gram counter.
Eat out as often as you wish but be on guard for hidden carbs in gravies, sauces and dressings. Gravy is often made with flour or cornstarch, and sugar is sometimes an ingredient in salad dressing.
Use sucralose or saccharin as a sweetener. Be sure to count each packet of any of these as 1 gram of carbs.
Avoid coffee, tea and soft drinks that contain caffeine. Excessive caffeine has been shown to cause low blood sugar, which can make you crave sugar.
Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water each day to hydrate your body, avoid constipation and flush out the by-products of burning fat.
If you are constipated, mix a tablespoon or more of psyllium husks in a cup or more of water and drink daily. Or mix ground flaxseed into a shake or sprinkle wheat bran on a salad or vegetables.
At a minimum, take a good daily multivitamin with minerals, including potassium, magnesium and calcium, but without iron.

Extra Cautions

Stay away from diet products unless they specifically state "no carbohydrates." Most such foods are for low-fat diets, not controlled carbohydrate plans.
The words sugarless, sugar-free or "no sugar added" are not sufficient. The label must state the carbohydrate content; that's what you must go by.
Many products you do not normally think of as foods, such as chewing gum, breath mints, cough syrups and cough drops, are filled with sugar or other caloric sweeteners. They must be avoided.
Be wary of prepared salads at salad bars or deli counters. For example, cole slaw or even tuna-fish salad may have been prepared with sugar.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 21:32

Plan: Less talk, More action
Stats: 175/130/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up Try this recipe for very low carb tortillas!

I should add that it is on this forum!
Sherrie's Savory Burger Bun

*Preheat the waffle iron

1 8oz Pkg cream cheese
3 eggs
3 tsp Splenda
1/2 cup Atkins Bake Mix
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp parsley flakes
1/4 cup buttermilk

Beat cream cheese with mixer until blended smooth, add the remaining ingredients. Spray pan with a light coat of olive oil flavored non stick spray and pour in pan about 1 tbps of mix. It will make a perfect round bun! You can freeze them and reheat them in the toaster! My hubby says this is the best bread yet.

It should come out to about 1 carb per bun!
Nutiritional Info Via Fitday
Calories Total: 72
Fat: 6 70%
Sat: 3 39%
Poly: 0 5%
Mono: 2 20%
Carbs: 1.2 6%
Fiber: .11 0%
Protein: 4 24%

And to make TORTILLAS
Then put about a tablespoon of the mixture on and carefully and thinly spread to the circle shape..nuke for one minute,they will puff up,then go down. As they cool you can easily peel them off the paper. {I usually have 2 going and fire one in to nuke while 1 is cooling]
You will get about 20. Then you dry fry each side in a pan til golden..Voila! Tortillas! store well in the fridge{just reheat in microwave for 20 secs]
I dry fry them for a litte longer and use them to scoop curries[Yum]

ENJOY
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 23:27

BF:
Default Yummy

That sounds absolutely yummy! Is this ok during Induction or is this something to add early in OWL or later? My poor grocery list just keeps getting longer!