Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 22:50

Plan: Atkins / Low Carb
Stats: 308/298/143 Female 163cm
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default What is good for pear shapes

I have been doing Atkins for a while and went off of my diet as my figure was looking really gross.. I was getting smaller up the top while my hips, ass and thighs were staying the same and just being out there... I looked weird as I felt great and thin on top and then there were these hips that just stood out like a sore thumb.

What I am asking is if there are any exercises that I can do to concentrate on my pear shape that I have become as it is getting to the stage where I would prefer to be big all over than just half small.

I have a personal trainer and have asked her to come and talk about my diet and exercise but as yet she has yet to come. I am hoping to get her here within the next few days.

I am really concerned with this problem as it is what is keeping me from reaching my goal.. and yes I know that things will be different once I lose more weight.. but I need something to help me along now.. at least to make it feel like I am doing something.

Sorry for rambling

Thanks
Karen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 00:07

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 172/161/165 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress:

There's a book by Edward J. Jackowski that gives specific exercises depending on whether you're a pear, apple, spoon, cone, etc. - can't remember the title but I saw it at Borders this week!

Hope this helps,
michael
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 10:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/136/122 Female 61 1/2"
BF:?/32%/
Progress: 46%

I'm a pear too! It seems that I'm loosing in my breast and waist and my hips aren't.

I do Tony Littles gizzel and I have a mini trampoline and someone told me to put a 5 lb. weight behing my knees and in the doggy position lift each leg about 20 reps. two times a day....just started so I don't know if it will work.

Also I read a site in here that body brushing those areas stimulate the fat and distribute it ..HEY...I'll try anything.

curious as to what your trainer tells you.

I'm 5'2" 45 yrs. old , weigh 135 and measurements are:

B-34.5
Waist- 26.5
Hips - 41!!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 15:12

BF:

Hi Carol

Thanks for that.. at least I can see I am not the only one.. I am actually talking to my trainer today. She has had to cancel the last 3 appointments and promises me that she won't cancel today so will keep you posted. I am eager to get back onto Atkins but I am feeling self concious regarding my shape.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 09:27

Thumbs up

Good morning princess..just wondering if you spoke to your trainer and what she said to do???

I went on the scale Saturday morning after a dizzy spell the night before and lost 2 pounds....but on Sunday was up two and today up three since!!!

I know I did not eat 7,000 calories to make up for the two pounds...so I am hoping I am at 133 (my official weigh ins are Wednesday mornings..

Well good luck and write back what you are doing...
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 15:56

BF:

Hi Carol

I spoke to my trainer and didn't ask that question.. silly me.. and since I have yet to start back training.. as I have not been feeling well.. I haven't had a chance to ask.. I want to get back into Atkins before I start training again.. otherwise to me I am defeating the purpose... I will keep you posted.. Have to do something soon.. Christmas and summer are just around the corner so there is no more hiding in bulky winter clothes..

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 08:19

Default Okay all you pear shapes...

Dr. Phil said that being pear shaped means we are low in estrogen, and should take soyisoflavones and green tea extract.....Hey, I'll try anything..

Also, I found this article in Health digest..Pear shapes should follow this plan:

Drink 4 cups of rasberry tea throughout the day and eat pink salmon for lunch a day would look like this:

8 os. water w/tsp. psyllium powder
8 oz. lemon water

B - 4 egg whites w/1/2 cup each of mushrooms and onions.

8 oz. water
1 T. flaxseed oil

16 oz. lemon water

L- 4oz. broiled fish w/parsley and garlic
2 cups green leafy salad w/chives sprouts and water chestnuts
1T. flaxseed oil
8 oz. water
16 oz. lemon water
Dinner - 4 oz baked chicken w/1/4 cup mushrooms and onion
4 oz. steamed beans
1/2 cup cuckumbers
8 oz. water
8oz. water and lemon
8 oz. water w/ 1tsp. psyliun powder

I'm going to follow this for two weeks and see what happens...it seems Atkin friendly....

I'll check in and let you know what happens
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 12:03
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:

Dr. Phil said that being pear shaped means we are low in estrogen, and should take soyisoflavones and green tea extract

Hmmmm.... I can't agree with Dr. Phil. I'm a pear shape and my saliva hormone test results show that I have very high estrogen, so high that I stopped ovulating. In fact, I read somewhere that high estrogen causes fat deposits on the hips and thigh, which I can attest to. My weight gained from this high estrogen state went right to my thighs and hips.

Wanda
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 12:19

Sorry, I got this information from a co-worker and I asked her again and she said Dr. Phil said an estrogen "imbalance" and soyisoflavones and green tea keep it in balance ???????

I guess I should read his book for myself before giving out the wrong info. I have people giving me all sorts of advise as I have lost 15 pounds following Atkins WOE but my shape is just getting smaller with big hips 34-26-40 and I do exercise at least 5 hours a week.....

Maybe its just my Italian heritage, but my mom and sister both have small hips...I don't mind being shapely.....but in paportion (sp?)

Well...just thought I'd pass along some info. and see if anyone knew about this stuff and if it works??