Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 03:31

Plan: my own version
Stats: 167.6/13.6/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 410%
Default Asparagus recipes

I've discovered a vegetable that I really like! However, I'd like to perk it up and/or spice it up, some. It tastes rather boring on its own...

Asparagus!

I made it last night wrapped in turkey bacon with a dash of salt, pepper, and old bay seasoning on top. Bakes it at 400 degrees 15 minutes then removed it from the oven and topped it with cheddar cheese. Put it back in the oven just long enough to melt the cheese. It was delicious!

I was hoping some of you would have some other asparagus recipes to share!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 08:34

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Shows how tastes vary! I LOVE the flavour of fresh asparagus - don't find it boring at all. If I want to dress them up, I just top them with a little lemon butter and capers, or a mixture of mayo and dijon mustard. If you have left-overs, they're good marinated in apple cider vinegar and oil for an hour or so and served cold.
Glenda
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 08:38
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I love asparagus too!! Did you know that it acts as a diuretic? Good stuff!!

I steam mine and then toss it with my spicy balsamic vinegarette dressing that has cayenne pepper in it. I toss it with grape tomatoes and roasted red peppers. The colors make it look lovely!!

It simple and tastes great!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 06:44

BF:

Those ideas sound great! Thanks!

Anyone else have any asparagus recipes to share?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 15:18

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%

I love Frittatas and basically you can put whatever low-carb friendly item in it.

Here's one of my favorites which is totally Induction Friendly (less than 3 carbs for the whole thing!) :

1 tbsp of Chili Oil & a pat of butter(basically used to add a bit of spice and extra flavor, and so that nothing sticks to the pan)

7 slices of salami (sometimes I use pepperoni, bacon, or pieces of steak - the juices from the meats just adds that extra bam! so don't drain any of the juices from the pan)
12 small asparagus (cut up in 1 inch slices or to your liking)
1 cup of baby spinach
3 eggs
4 tbls sour cream
4 tbls heavy cream
1 tsp of Lawry Garlic Powder /w Parsley
1 tsp of crushed peppercorn
1/4 cup of pepperjack cheese
1/4 cup of colby cheese
Sprinkle of parmesan

Prep:
prep time: 5 minutes

heat over to 350 degrees.
whip the 3 eggs, sour cream, heavy cream, and spices together and set aside.
use non-stick spray for glass baking dish

In a non-stick skillet heat up the chili oil then add the pat of butter, let melt, then the salami and cook until it becomes crispy.

Next add the asparagus to the salami and toss and then let cook for 2 minutes. Now add the baby spinach and let cook until the spinach becomes a bit wilted.

Now add the whip egg mixture on top of the other items until all is covered. Let the egg mixture set on a medium-low heat setting.

Once the egg mixture has set transfer to a round glass baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick butter spray.

Note: You may or may not successfully transfer the mixture without it breaking, but it doesn't really matter because it's all going to come back together while baking anyway so just even the mixture out in the glass baking dish.

Add your parmesan around the whole dish then top with the grated cheeses on top of the dish and place in oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until cheese is nice and golden brown.

Remove from oven and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes.

Cut in pie slices and serve.

This item is great out of the oven, but is even more awesome the next day as everything gets to marinate overnight.

Serves: 3 to 4

Enjoy!

Dive deeply into who you really are, and have the courage to explore your most treasured dreams. Keep yourself connected to those dreams, and they will play out upon the stage of your life. ~ Ralph Marston

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will grant you the desires of you heart ~Psalms 37:4

Last edited by 2007 : Wed, Mar-21-07 at 16:45.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 15:39
Operation Ann 2013

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/297.0/150 Female 5ft 1 in
BF:Of course!! :)
Progress: 8%

Sounds delish! Thanks for sharing!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 15:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/220/150 Female 5'5
BF:Getting better
Progress: 28%

Lay on baking sheet, drizzle with EVOO, salt, pepper, roast at 450 untill tips get crispy. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 15:55
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 99
BF:
Progress: 12%

Yumm, I'm another asparagus lover........

I put my asparagus in a large pan on the stove with a little water and cover to stem them. When they turn darker green and begin to get soft, I take the cover off and let the rest of the water evaporate. As the water starts to lessen I turn the asparagus and remove when they become caramelized. I sprinkle with Parmesan chesse. I have gotten so many good comments on such a simple receipt.

Yummm, I can eat them everyday!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-07, 03:11

BF:

Thanks, everyone! They all sound great!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-07, 16:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 216/198/143 Female 170 cm
BF:
Progress: 25%

hi there yummygirl.
well as an educated chef i have a few recipies you might like with asparagus. first of all the thing with this veggie is that most of the flavor molecules tends to disapear when boiled so they should preferebly be cooked in oil to preserve these flavors (just a bit of info from my time at chefschool) having said that i still like them just as much when boiled, regardless of theory.
recipie1:
chop them in bits about an inch long and fry them in a small amount of white truffle oil. add salt and pepper to your liking. let cool for a litlle bit. mix with cherry tomatoes and serve. could also be added: avocado in pieces. cheese ( feta or the firm italian mozzarella) great with a piece of chicken for lunch

recipie 2:
cut them ( or dont) in pieces as in recipie 1 and boil for 1 minut. drain and toss them with a small amount of good quality green pesto. ( they should not be overboiled for this)

recipie 3:
fry them in a little oil of your choice and arrange them on a plate . pour melted butter over and sprinkle with shrimps. ( shrimps and asparagus are a match made in heaven, that is if you already like shrimps i suppose!)

other suggestions:
just eat them chopped raw in your salad. tastes almost like peas.
put them in the bottom of a cooking pan that will go in the oven and put thin pieces of whatever fish you like over them and sprinkle with oil and salt and pepper and cook in oven until fish is done.

well that was just what i could think of right now. hope you can use some of it. please let me know if you like any of these suggestions. im very curious !!
happy cooking to you
mylle
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-07, 17:23

BF:

Thanks Mylle! I will add these to my list of things to try!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-07, 19:30

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

-Wrap several thin spears in a slice of bacon and roast.
-Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice, sprinkle with sea salt and roast.
-You can never go wrong with lightly steamed and drizzled with Hollandaise.
I can't wait until my asparagus start coming up in the garden!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 13:02

Plan: basic low carb diet
Stats: 199/191/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I make my asparagus by laying them out flat on a cookie sheet and drizzling with olive oil, salt and pepper, and parmasean cheese. Bake until tips are crispy. Yummm!!