Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 14:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/205/75
BF:
Progress: 10%
Question flaxseed oil

Had my first taste of flaxseed oil today, ,is there a special way to get this stuff down? What is the best way to take it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 15:19

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there unrulywitc. I've found the best way to get in the flaxseed oil is to add it to a protein shake. Some braver folks actually sip it off a spoon, but I've never been able to

Adding it to a shake, however, makes it practically unoticeable.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 15:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

Hi, I make mine into a salad dressing, with a touch of balsamic vinegar. Bit sugary I know, I don't use much, but I don't take protein shakes and it gets the flaxoil down me.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 13:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/zone
Stats: 200/165/160
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Make Sure your Flax Oil is FRESH!

I was once visiting a friend who complained about the taste of flax oil. I asked for a taste. The oil was clearly rancid.

It came in a glass bottle and he said it was not refrigerated when he bought it.

Most reputable flax oil has a pressing date and a best before date. Be sure the store you buy it from stores in in a refrigerator, and you can store it in the freezer when you get home.

For salads there is a garlic-chili flavoured oil that I find great. It's flavour really sparks up any salad or dish that has feta cheese in it.

Remember NEVER heat flax oil. It's ok to pour it on food after the food has been cooked and has had a few minutes to stop sizzling. Once out of the bottle you should eat food with flax oil right away. Remember that air, heat and oxygen make flax oil go racid very quickly.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 18:24

Plan: Southbeach
Stats: 148/145/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 23%

I've been getting my flax oil straight from the flax seed. I just grind up 2 or 3 tablespoons in a coffee grinder, add about a tablespoon of lo-carb hot cereal (carbsense, is the brand, I think), a little hot water, stir and let sit for a minute. If you get the ratio of water right, it will become a decent hot cereal. It's all the more palpable with a dash of cinnamon and a splash of cream (and maybe some splenda).

I believe 3 tablespoons of flax seed equal one tablespoon of oil. It is important to grind the seeds just before you use them, or they will spoil. The whole seeds, however, stay fresh for a long time.

Abby
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 18:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/zone
Stats: 200/165/160
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Best Way

Hi LittleAbbey:

I think your way is the best way to get flax oil and get all the fibre and protein at the same time.

I used to do it that way but got lazy. I also found that I had to be really meticulous keeping the grinder clean as any residue not cleaned eventually turned to "paint."

I just got lazy.

Ferrando.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 18:41

Plan: My Own Mad Creation
Stats: 350/339/175
BF:
Progress: 6%

I take my flax seed oil in capsule form.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 21:24
Registered Member

Stats: 249/220/199
BF:
Progress: 58%

The bad thing about the capsule form is it takes about 15 pills to get the same amount of Omega 3 as it would to take 1 tablespoon per day of the liquid. I just researched this the other day so I know it is true. When you look at it this way it is much more expensive to take the tablets. Although if you travel alot, the tablets would definately be the way to go because of the need to refrigerate the oil.

As far as how to take the oil...I mix a teaspoon in my protein drink with ice water 3 times per day. As stated above...you cant hardly taste it. I like to spread out the daily serving in 3 different servings throughout the day.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 14:10
Registered Member

Plan: Super Mass Plan
Stats: 172/172/200
BF:
Progress: 0%

Flax oil and chocolate whey protein tastes pretty good.
But get the right brand of whey because alot of them tatse like crap.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 19:48
Registered Member

Stats: 249/220/199
BF:
Progress: 58%

I agree Ironbull, some of them taste nasty. I like the chocolate flavored Simply Protein by EAS. I actually look forward to drinking it so what does that tell you about the taste?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 09:39

Stats: 181/164/150
BF:
Progress: 55%

I take it in capsule form too - I'll take extra casules before I sip it off a spoon! I'm a brat when it comes to icky tasting stuff!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 12:06
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

They sell flavored flax seed oil. I bought some cinnamon flavored. It is quite palatable. (yes, I just drink a tablespoon of it) I tried adding it to shakes and coffee and what have you but remember this is OIL and will separate from other liquids.