Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 14:19

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%
Default Queso Blanco

Frying cheese. What a concept. Proves I don't get out much. Thought I'd pass this on to all of you. Comes in a brick, semi wet cheese. Think tofu here. In fact, it works just like tofu, only actually tastes good! It can be used as a meat extender. It can be pan fried, (it softens some but doesn't actually melt). It can be cut into cubes and deep fried, (think party tidbits here). Relatively bland, but picks up the flavor of anything you are cooking with it. Works in soups.
Anyone have any other ideas for this cheese?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 14:24

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

I don't know if this was the same cheese, but I just got back from grocery shopping and in the Fancy Cheese Section there was something billed as "The Cheese You Can Grill." Think of that. Grilled cheese!!!

I don't know if it's the same thing. I've read the words queso blanco, but just thought it meant white cheese. I didn't realize its magical properties. Thanks, Atriana
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 14:32

BF:

Grilling it, now there is an idea. This stuff comes in a rectangle about a foot long and maybe 5 inches high on the sides. When I did a search on it they said there is a similar cheese in India, panir I think it was called. I got mine at Sam's Wholesale Club.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 14:39

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Panir. That brings back memories. In my vegetarian days, my main hobby was reading cookbooks -- I did cook, but never caught up to the recipes that I had earmarked to try I do remember panir. Please don't laugh at me if I'm wrong, but I think they use it like tofu -- little cubes of it in vegetables. You may have just come up with a lovely way to have lots of high-protein vegetable meals for people who don't like tofu. (Funny, I ate it when I thought it was called "bean curd.")
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 16:31

BF:

Yes, I have seen recipes where it is used as a sort of vegetable stew.
I am pretty excited about this stuff. Just when I thought I couldn't face another egg, here comes another versatile protein source.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 18:47
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Here is a nifty link to Hispanic Cheeses.

There is also a Greek cheese called mizthra that can be used to make flaming cheese. DIp it in beaten egg, fry on both sides then flambe with ouzo or brandy. Delish!

Karen