Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-20, 08:41

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Need more happy? Feed your dopamine receptors

In What is the dopamine diet? I found a list of foods which help your brain balance. Look familiar?

Quote:
Dairy foods such as milk, cheese and yogurt
Unprocessed meats such as beef, chicken and turkey
Omega-3 rich fish such as salmon and mackerel
Eggs
Fruit and vegetables, in particular bananas
Nuts such as almonds and walnuts
Dark chocolate

Most of these recs will fit right into our low carb plans. And the ones that don't will explain why these are "comfort foods" in some respects

Quote:
Most versions of the diet recommend avoiding alcohol, caffeine and processed sugar, while some also recommend cutting out or severely restricting starchy carbohydrates. So what is the science behind the dopamine diet?

Dopamine directly affects the reward and pleasure centres in the brain, which in turn affects mood. Its activation occurs for a number of reasons, including the sudden availability of food.

There is emerging evidence to show that people who are overweight may have impairments in dopamine pathways which could have been blunted through constant exposure to highly palatable (sugary and fatty) foods. This blunted response could potentially lead to increased reward seeking behaviour, including over-eating - however, this is an area that needs more research. Currently, we do know that all eating increases dopamine, especially the intake of high fat and sugar foods, both off which can lead to an increase in appetite, overeating and weight gain in the long term.

Wow. This is fascinating stuff. It fits right in with how dopamine receptor drugs often help people with ADHD or autism. Things go downhill in the article, such as their notion of "healthy fats" but the science is sound. I've been reading some cutting edge stuff about anxiety.

For instance, a habit of procrastination is tied into dopamine issues. It takes more to activate the dopamine, which is what lets our brain put our bodies into action. If you have resistant dopamine receptors, it takes ANXIETY to activate them; and being late is what "flips the switch."

To me, this explains a lot about improved moods on low carb, and maybe even my success with therapeutic niacin. Niacin is vital for dopamine production. With it, my anxiety -- which had progressed to panic attacks -- is so much better.

And when you look at the SAD -- it really doesn't support anyone's dopamine.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-20, 14:57

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

If we could just redirect them from bananas to the bacon!
I would love to see a controlled study of autistic children put on bacon and eggs with lots of foods cooked in pork and beef fat.
Take them off of the macaroni, pizza and french fries.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-20, 22:29

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

lol, as I read I too jumped to the ADD brain.

Wonder why bananas made the list.

And no mention of tryrosine.

Will add niacine to list to buy.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-20, 08:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I would love to see a controlled study of autistic children put on bacon and eggs with lots of foods cooked in pork and beef fat.
Take them off of the macaroni, pizza and french fries.

There's a movie with Dr. Tim Noakes, The Magic Pill, where exactly that happens. The little girl is 3-5; it's hard to tell because she acts uncontrolled like a toddler, and will eat only three junky things.

Over the course of the documentary, they transition her to low carb. And she is transformed into a verbal, happy, little girl who seems to have developed a couple of years in her skills.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-20, 16:35

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
There's a movie with Dr. Tim Noakes, The Magic Pill, where exactly that happens. The little girl is 3-5; it's hard to tell because she acts uncontrolled like a toddler, and will eat only three junky things.

Over the course of the documentary, they transition her to low carb. And she is transformed into a verbal, happy, little girl who seems to have developed a couple of years in her skills.

That sounds like a wonderful improvement in her young life. I'll have to watch it.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-20, 19:56

BF:

Yes, worth watching!!!!!

Autism is a spectrum of different issues and varying degrees. It is a catch-all term. ADD runs in families. Asbergers runs in families. Very different from each other.

Eating a diet that is keto, whole foods and drops the vegetable oils is definitely a PLUS. The brain functions best on such a diet. And targetted supplements are a must.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-20, 04:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Yes, worth watching!!!!!

Autism is a spectrum of different issues and varying degrees. It is a catch-all term. ADD runs in families. Asbergers runs in families. Very different from each other.

Eating a diet that is keto, whole foods and drops the vegetable oils is definitely a PLUS. The brain functions best on such a diet. And targetted supplements are a must.

I have come to think the entire mental health outlook Western Civilization has adopted is skewed in unhelpful ways. Part of it is the expectations imposed on children with disorders which might simply be pointless conformism. It's unreasonable expectations which creates the label of disorder when it might just be differrent.

Doctors mistake cultural expectations as something that's "normal." While people with different kinds of brains suffer from an inability to respond as expected, I also think "normal" people suffer from mindless conformism, it's just not as obvious. But all those depressed and anxious people come from the "normal" pool too.

While some people regard their psychiatric drugs as lifesavers, others find the slog through adaptation, recognizing side effects, and trying to find "the right one" to be added stress with no real help. I don't think that is recognized, either: the latest studies seem to indicate they are reliable for one third of the population. That's a lot of people left out without help.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-20, 12:26

BF:

You have good points.

Dr Amen has been my go to resource for ADD. He is a remarkably kind and thoughtful doctor. One not afraid to buck the system.

After years of treating clients and family, his focus is correct diagnosis as treatment for one area of the brain could hurt other areas. Causing greater dysfunction. He's also interested in food, supplements and exercise first. And use of pharmaceticals second.

Thru his book I saved my son from suicide when the medical -behavioral health system sent him home after an emergency eval.

I had been reading Healing ADD, and realized it was worth taking the risk of following Dr Amen,s advice.

Supplemental L-tyrocine and SAMe pulled my son thru.......

He doesnt make friends easily, didnt have a constant playmate. Kept his head down at school. Then with the start in a new school , H. S., he found his passion, and friends. And gaming. The SAMe was no longer necessary and he now had a precription for Concerta. There are a few other supplements and food choices that help,too.

The gaming goes on even during lockdown. 3-4-5 nites a week he is gaming and practicing social skills with boys he knows from school.

He struggles more than most kids, but he is now happy and jokes and smiles. His interaction is smoother most times.

Im praying he continues to feels like he belongs, and isnt on the outside looking in.

(He gives me permission to share his story. And I do so in hopes of giving others hope.)

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Tue, Jun-16-20 at 13:10.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-20, 02:57

BF:

I'm so happy your son has found his place And that you could help him.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-20, 11:21

BF:

Yes, he just needed a boost in dopamine and seratonin, and manage depression without the pharmacutical drugs which just mask imho.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-20, 15:51

BF:

Also, the neurodiverse can adapt the brain to the drug and it stops working. If it did.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-20, 16:17

BF:

Right. When tyrosine stopped working for my son, I was willing to push for a trial use of Concerta.